Suggestings for repairing this?

johnk86

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 17ft bowrider and the transom is a little loose. The engine has a little too much play in it and you can see it pushing the transom in where the engine mount meets the boat. I've read where you put in double layers of marine plywood, glass it in, but I'm not sure where to start with this one (I've never done it before). You may be able to see what I'm talking about when you look at the pictures. Where do I begin cutting? The back seats and well are all molded directly to the rest of the hull. The gas tank is under there too. I sure when someone could recommend a spot repair for this one. The rest of the boat's in pretty good shape and so is the engine. Recommendations?
boattransom2

boattransom3

boattransom4

javsam

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Suggestings for repairing this?

you might want to check for rot in the transom using an awl and probing it. your transom may need rebuilding if it is giving in.I cant really tell by the pictures. I have used 1/4 inch diamond plate mounted on the transom with mounting holes for the motor for extra reinforcement on older boats.size 15 by 20 by 1/4.I also use support plates on the inside of transom.
javsam:%

D

DJ

Do a search in this topic area for your question. You'll get PLENTY to read about.

Can it be done-Yes. Is it easy-No.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i have used 2. 1/4" plates with a 90 degree bend at the top. one to fit the inside of the tramsom, and a larger one on the outside of the transom, thus sandwiching the transom. it's a temporary fix, and will cost in the $200 range for 1/4" aluminum plate. then remount the engine. sooner or later you are going to have to pull the top of the hull and fix it right.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Installing a metal plate on the transom is a bandaid. It will not cure the problem that is inside the transom. If you want to finish out the season and you feel comfortable with it (it's your choice).

Normally the transom is only an indicator of other possible problems.

A good off season project if you want to do it right. My opinion is to do it right once instead of fixing it twice.