Sudden loss of water!

Asainz320

Petty Officer 2nd Class
After i came from a nice time at the lake i was running the engine at home with the muffs. All of a sudden water stops coming out of the pee hole and the engine started overheating. I ran it again with the poppet valve assembly off and it seems that the water pump its not pumping water up. Its a new impeller down there, it was working fine. What can this be??? Im going to drop down the lower unit to check the water pump. Am i looking for something specific?
Its a 1989 150hp yamaha. Thanks guys

bgbass.1

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Sudden loss of water!

before you tear lower end off put in tank of water or pond to verify muffs can do that if pressure isnt enough or if to much pressure. If its still not working look at impella to see if fins are cracked burnt chunck taken out of them.how long did you run without water?

JUSTINTIME

Captain

i would replace the t-stat also and poppet with impeller kit

Asainz320

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Problem Solved!!!! I guess engines have to taken apart once in a while just to have thing running right lol. j/k.. Seriously now, i took it apart and checked the impeller. The thing was as brand new as when i put it in. So i put everything back together and now its working properly. Thanks again guys.

Asainz320

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey guys :(. Today i ran my engine again and i had to press the muffs really hard against the motor so i could get some whater out the pee hole. Im thinking that the tube that connects the water pump to the power head is the problem. How does this tube connect to the power head? Is there any gaskets i could change there? Thanks

bgbass.1

Chief Petty Officer

if your pressing the muffs hard to get water it could be muffs or water pressure try putting in a tank of water then you will know for sure if its pumping or not.

bgbass.1

Chief Petty Officer

if it still not pumping well you have a blockage where you put the tube into the pump is that oring getting pushed down that would do it.

dimock44

Petty Officer 1st Class

If my muffs slide a little it stops peeing. They seem to move with vibration. Maybe try different muffs

edgutgesell

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My 150 has a sleeve on the lower unit water tube (water pump outlet) that the water tube running up the leg slides into. The sleeve snaps in place on the outlet. If the sleeve is missing or defective you could be losing pressure there.

Ed G.

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

The same thing happened to me. I changed out the impeller and it was doing great and then all of the suddon nothing. It barely pees. The old impeller wasnt that bad but when i changed it, it was pumping better but now its bareely pumping on muffs and it did when i first changed out the impeller. I didnt run it enough to overheat though i just know when somethings not right. What can i t be? I ran mine in a tank but it was only enough to cover the cav plate. Som im not sure. Im going to pull it again and check it. I ran it for a couple hours on the bay after i changed it and there was no problems. I came home flushed it out on the muffs and it pumped water fine. I added seafoam to the gas and wanted to run some through the carbs and noticed that it was not pumping water hardly at all. Just a verry little ammount! What do we do??

hopalong

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Are you're speaking of not pumping water out of the pee hole? dribling there?
If so the small tube leaving the motor that is connected to the very small pee outlet can lodge a small piece of shell, grit etc. picked up from the impeller intake from the lake,bay, ocean.... and find its way up to the small pee outlet and partial plug it.This can cause the outlet there to just dribble water rather than pee it out,ha- (just like one peeing out a kidney stone). Remedy would be to get a small piece of wire that will fit into the pee hole (do not enlarge the pee opening) slightly and with the motor running with water muffs on, move the wire around and out to dislodge the grit. If it can't be dislodged then the tube connecting to the pee fitting needs to be removed to blow out the grit. Be careful when you try to pull the tube off the fitting for the fitting is plastic and will snap. You may have to cut the tube above the fitting an inch or so then couple it back together rather than break the fitting.

troypolla

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sometimes those darn pee holes will get clogged with dirt and sand. I rarely run my motor on muffs. They seem to slip off too easily. Not a tight seal. I usually just run the water hose in the flush valve.

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

nah its not just the pee hole i just ran it and its hot. I didnt let it go til the buzzer but it is hotter than normal. What happened? The impeller was working at frist when i replaced it. I changed the lower unit lube and then all the sudden it started!

Asainz320

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey guys!!! I took my boat out this past weekend. It was doing better than ever before!!!

I took the water pump housing out and used a high strength silicone to make new seals for it. I also plug some holes it had. Maybe these were some venting holes or something but i just didn't want them there, maybe thats bad but whatever, i want all the water i could get running through the engine and not inside the lower unit. Now it is working better than ever. Engine was super cool all day long and with a strong pee stream.

About the muffs: I ran it with the muffs after i did that to my pump housing, and it didn't made a difference. It was not pumping water. The problem was that the muffs were being pulled to the side by the hose that didn't reach enough to get to the engine, it was taut instead of having some slack. Maybe that caused the pump to get air and not pump water correctly.

hopalong

Petty Officer 2nd Class

nah its not just the pee hole i just ran it and its hot. I didnt let it go til the buzzer but it is hotter than normal. What happened? The impeller was working at frist when i replaced it. I changed the lower unit lube and then all the sudden it started!

In your first post you did not mention the motor was running very warm or "hot". If you had mentioned that I would not have brought up the diagnosis of the pee hole water outlet.:cool:

Missxena

Seaman Apprentice

I'm no authority on the subject by any
means, (just did my first water pump two weeks ago)
but seeing that you found damage to the pump housing
I would strongly recommend replacing it with a new one
when you get a chance. Enjoy! :)

Asainz320

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm no authority on the subject by any
means, (just did my first water pump two weeks ago)
but seeing that you found damage to the pump housing
I would strongly recommend replacing it with a new one
when you get a chance. Enjoy! :)

The housing was not damaged. The hole i covered looked like it was built there for a reason, maybe someone else here knows what im talking about?

hopalong

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How large was the hole and where was it? On the pump housing? side, top?