Subwoofer Scuba tank

newcomlr

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Audio purists....don't laugh. Subwoofer disguised as a scuba tank?!?

I'm wanting to add a subwoofer to my pontoon. Not looking to create waves in the water since we are on a smallish private lake with noise rules due to waterfront houses.

Bought my pontoon last year and it has two amps (one not being used currently). The previous owner had an enclosed subwoofer mounted under the deck, but it was removed when I bought the boat. Not sure I need two amps anyway(one is a two channel Kicker, other is a Memphis single).

So I'm just looking to add some "bottom". Don't really want to take up an underseat compartment or floor space with an enclosure. Was thinking a free-air sub may work since I'm not looking for blast effect. Then I stumbled upon this Pyle amplified sub that is shaped like a scuba tank. It is a powered sub. Pyle - PLMRTB8P - 8'' 400 Watt Passive Marine Scuba Tank Looking Subwoofer Tube

I'm guessing this is more of a novelty than a serious sub, but for my needs on the Party Barge, it's at least pretty cool looking. Anyone ever heard one? BTW, realistic price is about $100....not $283.

Last edited:

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Subwoofer Scuba tank

had a 10" pyle base tube, in my car, it pounded for 15 years before I blew it, it was $300 back in 1993 and did not look like a scuba tank, I have a generic 8" tube in my bow, paid $100 for, I think the inclosed bow helps, it bumps all I need, shakes the boat, the pyle tube is still in my car it would be too much in the boat

newcomlr

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Subwoofer Scuba tank

Bought the subwoofer disguised as a Scuba Tank. Tried a few install locations and on my pontoon, any volume caused too much rattling of the pontoon walls.

So I keep wired it up so I could keep it in the storage area (hidden too) and sit it out on one of the seats when we're on the water. Amazing how great it sounds! I already had a separate Kicker amp to power it, so it's got lots of bottom.