Submarine Ran Aground?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: Submarine Ran Aground?

I wonder if the damage is to the pressure hull? and if so, how they kept it from flooding before they activated the bulkhead doors.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

they kept it afloat cause our navy is the highest trained and dedicated on earth. some of my cousins did boomer duty. I stayed topside :) :) . the were in subs and I was on a destroyer designed to kill them. but in any case when underway a certain level of water tight hull integrity is maintained at all times. all critical functions have a 24/7 watch. sometrimes ya get to work on your gear 10-15 hours then go stand a 4 hour watch then go play with another ship function or training evolution. this is 24/7 when underway. I guess the only post that was not manned was the forward window :) :) . anyway my prayers go out to the families and sailors. but just like the USS cole incedent( I was on the Uss Arligh Burke DDG 51) it shows how a captains anal and irritating attention to constant damage control training pays off. the Cole had a 40ft hole blown in it at the waterline and stayed on top. there was not a DC valve or fitting on the Burke in 1991 that I could not tell the DC senior chief,capt or XO the function or how to use it. cause sometimes they would walk up and point to it and ask you. a wrong answer once and by the end of the next 7 days you would be an expert on that fitting.

eeboater

Commander

Originally posted by oddjob:<br /> Proly Bushes fault..
Yeah, I think you're right. I recall reading that he was driving at the time, and forgot to look over his shoulder before changing lanes.<br /><br />Sean

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by eeboater:<br />
Originally posted by oddjob:<br /> Proly Bushes fault..
Yeah, I think you're right. I recall reading that he was driving at the time, and forgot to look over his shoulder before changing lanes.<br /><br />Sean
Hey... thought you were outta here basking in the sun and watching the beach babes???

Stumpys

Petty Officer 1st Class

That looks as bad as my prop did last year!

eeboater

Commander

Originally posted by KaGee:<br />
Hey... thought you were outta here basking in the sun and watching the beach babes???
Not yet... I wish I was. Nope, I have to go through 3 days of H E Double Hockey sticks before taking off. Leave Thursday, come back Sunday. :cool: <br /><br />Sean

beezee28

Master Chief Petty Officer

The Lib will blame the republican for not putting any underway sign to keep to the middle of the road!!!

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by mattttt25:<br /> inital reports are that it was caused by following innacurate charts. <br />
hmmmm.. makes ya wonder what the hell these inaccurate charts are doing on board ... and how'd they get inaccurate??..<br /><br /><--- wishin' they'ld keep going with their underwater mapping and testing with High Speed Net Solutions/Summus equipment. I want to retire soon and it looks like they need the technology and I could use the money :D

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by Barlow:<br /> hmmmm.. makes ya wonder what the hell these inaccurate charts are doing on board ... and how'd they get inaccurate??..<br />
Shifting ocean bottom over the years. Ya think any of the charts for the Indian Ocean are accurate today after the earthquakes??

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

oh my .. yea brain farted that one!.. thats it then send the equipment over! I need my stocks to rebound in order to dump'em.<br /><br />damn the american dollar! :D :p

f_inscreenname

Commander

I have a Hawkeye depth finder. 2” display and good up to 65mph. Only 65 bucks on eBay. A small price to pay. All joking aside. Our sympathy to the family of the sailor lost.

KaGee

Admiral

A release I read from the Admiral in Hawaii in charge of the sub fleet there, stated that a course was plotted and there were no obstacles anywhere close by. The sub was going an estimated 30 plus knots at impact.<br /><br />F_in, going at that speed, what could you do with your Hawkeye to avert collision with an unmarked underwater hazard??

KRS

Banned

Keep in mind, subs don't typically run active sonar, they are passive, so with a new sonarman(woman) they could have run into Mardi Gras at that speed before he heard it.

D

DJ

Maybe they had to turn off the sonar because it was giving whales headaches.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by DJ:<br /> Maybe they had to turn off the sonar because it was giving whales headaches.
I see. It beached itself out of sympathy? :D