Stupid Animal Tricks (Dogs)

NYMINUTE

Captain
Dogs Again…… Do you have any Stupid Dog Tricks?? I have a 2 ½ year old Great Dane and a 4 ½ year old Chocolate Lab. A few years ago when the lab was a puppy I lived in a housing addition. Had a four foot fence that she jumped to visit the neighbors Beagle. I went to get her one day and she and the beagle hauled butt through the doggie door into the neighbor’s home. Unfortunately they were both out, and the best I could do was reach through the doggie door to get her out. Well being a smart-a$$ lab she took off, running around their place as if she owned it, on the sofa, and I suppose their bed too. I was forced to wait out the neighbor’s return. Fortunately she did no damage, but I thought that was the winner of Stupid Dog Tricks until yesterday when the Dane decided to chase our cat under my wife’s Ford Probe. Yep, she got stuck. 140 lbs of dog does not fit in a 100 lb. Space. I had to jack it up to free her. Luckily it was cold so didn’t get burned. I’d like to hear other’s stories about goofy animal tricks if you have one.

sangerwaker

Commander
Re: Stupid Animal Tricks (Dogs)

My wife's dog ate about 1/8 oz of hooch a few months ago. That really wouldn't be that big of a deal for a 100+ pound dog. Mojo only weighs 9 pounds though! That would be the equivelant (roughly) of an adult human eating 1/4 pound or more at one sitting. Poor dog was messed up for 2-1/2 days. Talk about a buzz. Whoa!

dolluper

Captain

A cat named stup it would play catch all day but if you ijnored it, it would climb up the patio screen door and hang till it ripped the screen and like running around on the screen It was like on catnip 24/7 at the time it was my roomates cat,still don't own a cat Stu#id things

SoulWinner

Commander

When my little angel "Precious" was a puppy, she decided early on that no matter what she did, punishment would not be tolerated. If I swatted her with a rolled up news paper, she would eat one of my shoes. One day, to get her to stop eating the couch, I put some of my home made Tabasco sauce on the spot where was chewing. Boy she backed up off that and coughed and spit. Well I was laughing at her so she knew where to send the pay-back. The next day she ate the cushion out of the couch right were I always sat.<br />Today she is my sweet little lady, but we butted heads a few times when she was growing up and she ALWAYS came out on top.....

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Catzilla is an endless entertainer. <br /><br />Usually she tries to dive through my glass front door to attack some stray cat, dog or 'coon who is peeking in. Invariably knocks herself silly for a minute or so. Most of the time I just hear an earsplitting screech from my office, followed by a crash. Then I go out and find her staggering around with her eyes crossed.<br /><br />Once I was in the living room and spotted a 'coon coming onto the porch, so I got to watch the whole performance. If I had been outside the door it would have scared the snot out of me, like it did old Mr. Racketycoon. He knocked 2 slats out of the railing in his haste to retreat. Had a really good laugh at that one. :)

salty87

Commander

first christmas with my gf's family, brought my lab with us. gf's brother brought several pounds of steaks from cali with them, supposed to be really good. so they are being thawed in a deep sink for dinner, unbeknownst to me or my girl. i don't think we'd have changed plans but when we get back from church and people start looking high and low for the missing meat, i realize there can be only 1 explanation. about that time i saw a very uncomfortable looking lab who had chowed on 6 pounds of raw usda prime beef.<br /><br />nobody really complained about the dozen cookies he found on the counter though.<br /><br />i must have walked him every hour that night. i wasn't about to have that performance followed up with any carpet art.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Bambi loves to play "catch the kitty". When I say that, her ears perk-up, and her focus is on the front window. Then she bolts to the door, and waits until I open it.<br />As soon as the door is opened, she is GONE! She gets high by "treeing" cats. She stopped trying to attack them long ago. Them critters tore her up a few times. lol

Tinkerer

Senior Chief Petty Officer

My dogs have done some stupid things but nowhere near as stupid as their master.<br /><br />I took a dog's heartworm tablet one day under the misapprehension that it was a vitamin tablet because I'd rearranged things in the kitchen and picked up the bottle that was where the vitamin one used to be.<br /><br />I discovered that no matter how far I stick my hand down my throat I can't make myself vomit, even when I think my life might depend on it.<br /><br />I also discovered that my wife couldn't be bothered getting out of bed to find out what the racket in the toilet was about, even though I might be dying. <br /><br />Finally I discovered from the bored response when I rang the poisons information centre that not only don't the tablets harm humans but a lot of people had done it before me.<br /><br />Dogs ain't that stupid.

NYMINUTE

Captain

These are a Hoot! Mine hooligans are not alone. Thanks for the chuckles. :) :)

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Tinkerer: I'm the same way, can make nyself gag, but not actually throw up. I've heard that drinking salt water is an almost fool proof method to accomplish what you want. Never tried it myself though. <br /><br />I've got two border collies. Needless to say I've experienced a number of interesting behaviours. The most vexing of all was my little female. Type 'A' through & through. When she was younger she'd play 'one way tag'. If she got off leash, she'd run full out like a whippet uphill, then immediately come back to within 5-10 feet to taunt me before running full out uphill again if I made a move towards her. She wasn't trying to escape, it was just a game to her. She'd run 25 yards, come back, and do it all over again. I had to sneak around and get uphill from her (without her knowing) in order to catch her. Funny thing was she would only run away in one direction, uphill. Once I got uphill of her she wouldn't run away and would actually come towards me so I could put her back on the leash.<br /><br />Finally broke her of it by letting her off the leash, letting her run, & ignoring her (I live in the country away from any main roads so no danger of cars). Didn't take long for her to realize that I wasn't going to play and she stopped doing it (actually, she still sprints uphill, but realizes that I won't play 'keep away' and I can nab her when she comes back if I want to. She also will sprint out the door 10 feet, stop, and spin like mad for 5 or 6 seconds before resuming her sprint uphill. She makes that dog that spins on one of the current tv commercials look like it's in slow motion.<br /><br />She's over 10 now, mellowed a bit, but will still play for as long as she can keep a human throwing something for her or willing to be on the other end of a 'tug' toy.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

resurecting this thread to share a trick my big yella hound dog, Dusty, showed me today, that he learned all by himself.<br /><br />I'm not sure if we actually have a "pooper scooper" law in our town, but some (not all) of the neighbors carry a baggie while walking their dogs. I don't, but I never let Dusty poop on anybody elses lawn. <br /><br />Well today I noticed him go into the #2 stance, I tugged the leash & explained "no, Dusty, you got to poop in your own yard." So he "stood down" and came along 'til the next utility pole or mailbox or whatever, lifted his leg, urinated a little bit & then released a few small poop specimens, with his leg still up in the air. <br /><br />He repeated this process two or three times; I realized, this dog is fooling the whole neighorhood! Gotta admit I was pretty darn impressed.

tylerin

Commander

Pulled a sock out of my Labs rear. Found him sleeping with 1/2 hanging out and assisted him w/ the other half. It was his sock w/ a knot in it :)

surplusman

Seaman Apprentice

tylerin, LMFAO I thought that I was the only one who ever had to assist their dog in that manner. My labs new blanket got stuck half way out, and had to assist the removal. Got finished, turned around to go back to the house, and saw my neighbor watching me. I just smiled and waived.

Realgun

Commander

If the dogs out he wants in if hes in he wants out. And the 1 time I call him he doesn't come so I closed the glass door. I heard thing DONG! Yup his delay was his headache :) He comes pretty quick now :D

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by jtexas:<br /> resurecting this thread to share a trick my big yella hound dog, Dusty, showed me today, that he learned all by himself.<br /><br />I'm not sure if we actually have a "pooper scooper" law in our town, but some (not all) of the neighbors carry a baggie while walking their dogs. I don't, but I never let Dusty poop on anybody elses lawn. <br /><br />Well today I noticed him go into the #2 stance, I tugged the leash & explained "no, Dusty, you got to poop in your own yard." So he "stood down" and came along 'til the next utility pole or mailbox or whatever, lifted his leg, urinated a little bit & then released a few small poop specimens, with his leg still up in the air. <br /><br />He repeated this process two or three times; I realized, this dog is fooling the whole neighorhood! Gotta admit I was pretty darn impressed.
Your dog is a genius, that was one well thought out deception. Mine would be impressed. Nothing worse than a pile of great dane doglogs on the neighbors lawn. All I can do is blame a nomadic horse?