stump the chump 1

JHOLE

Seaman Apprentice
Why are manhole covers round ?<br />(this is one of my favorite stump the chump questions)

crab bait

Captain
Re: stump the chump 1

cause if'n they looked like "J'S "<br /><br />they'd be called "JHOLES'

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

So they'll fit anyway you put them down?<br />Because men are round?<br />Because if they were shaped like A's......

Moose_Miller

Petty Officer 1st Class

I heard this once, and it makes sense:<br /><br /> It's so the cover won't fall through. A square hole cover could be turned sideways and dropped in the hole.<br /><br />Also makes sense that a circle would accomodate a "portly" human better than a square hole would.<br /><br />Curious to the "actual" answer though, if I didn't hit it.

SlowlySinking

Master Chief Petty Officer

Hi Moose_Miller, you got it, it's so they can't drop through the hole and cuz they land right the first time when you drop them in place.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Moose may be correct, but I liked Crabbie's answer better. :D :D

Scoop

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yeah, round works better. When I was young and stupid (As opposed to old and stupid), I decided it would be a good time to pick up a full sized sewer grate (Square). I picked it up but had a hard time positioning it while putting it back. I remember that when it fell through, it tried to take my arm with it. They are definitely heavier than they look.

Homerr

Commander

Go to your local DMV/Dept. of Transportation office (or whatever they call it now) Buy a permit, and the'll tell ya why it's round!<br /><br />LOL<br /><br />Oh, and prepare to stand in line, cause there's only 1 person at the terminal...<br /><br />H.

JHOLE

Seaman Apprentice

You guys are too good. Moose you nailed it.<br />We used to play stump the chump at work to pass the time, I'll try to remember some of the other ones. For some reason that was always my favorite.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

here's one:<br />why does a dog walk in a circle before laying<br />down?

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

It's from when they lived in the wild and trampled the grass, weeds, etc. down before they laid down [making a bed]. This is what my dog said, but then I can beat him at cards 9 times out of 10.

ob

Admiral

Here's one I just heard yesterday.<br /> What was the rock groups name "Three Dog Night" derived from?

Hooty

Rear Admiral

A circular racetrack exactly one mile around. A racecar driver drives his first lap (one mile) at thirty mph. How fast will he have to drive his second lap to average sixty mph for both laps?<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

Duh. He can't average 60 since he's already used up the two minutes it would take to average 60 over two laps.

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Bingo Jack Shellac!<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty