stripers eat their own?

yourkiddin

Petty Officer 1st Class
ive been doing alot of nov crappie fishing this year. in doing so, i catch a fair amount of very small hybrid or striper. not really sure which. i use bluegill to catch them normally. was just wondering if the large stripe would go after these very small ones of their own species?

PGFISHER

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: stripers eat their own?

Although they prefer shad, stripers will eat small stripers if there isn't anything else to eat. Check your local laws; in most places it is illegal to use game fish for bait. Here in Nevada the stripers eat trout; but using trout for bait gets you a huge fine.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

A Striper would be hard pressed to eat another Striper because of the stripers? very large and sharp pectoral fin. Using a soft finned fish such as a Spot, Trout or Bluegill will out catch using another member of the perch family by a very wide margin.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

I saw the title of the thread and I was hoping you had misspelled something! :D

Oh...it's about fish...:mad:

yourkiddin

Petty Officer 1st Class

lol, i already know that a stripper will eat another stripper. seen that first hand while at fort benning. local hangouts on victory drive.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Seen it too!! That's why I opened this thread! I thought iBoats had opened a whole new door!!

And people wonder why guys own boats!

Attachments

• Why guys own boats.jpg
    Why guys own boats.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 0

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

Seen it too!! That's why I opened this thread! I thought iBoats had opened a whole new door!!

And people wonder why guys own boats!

SO! Just where did you get that picture of my ex wives?????:mad:

fishrdan

Admiral

Here in Nevada the stripers eat trout; but using trout for bait gets you a huge fine......

....your fishing equipment confiscated and your own day in court. Happened to a guy at Willow Beach about a year ago, good for the DFG guys on that one!

I saw a picture of a 20#+- striper with another striper stuck down it's gullet, fish was found dead. I caught 1 with a 3# carp in it's belly, also caught 1 with 8 stocked trout in it's belly, they can eat BIG!

I wouldn't doubt for a second that a big 20-30-40-50# striper would chow down on a dink 1-2# striper, if it was hungry enough.