K&N Spark Arrestors

cribber

Lieutenant
Has anyone installed a K&N Spark Arrestor on their I/O??? I installed one on my 3.0 Glastron GT185 and can feel a difference from the stock Volvo arrestor. I did have to change out the carburetor stud since this is about an inch or so taller than stock. Hole shot and plane times improved and it also added about 200 rpm at WOT so need to be careful.

Attachments

• K&N 3L Volvo Penta.jpg
    K&N 3L Volvo Penta.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 0

John_S

Rear Admiral
Re: K&N Spark Arrestors

Your volvo one sound like it might have been filthy.

cribber

Lieutenant

Your Volvo one sound like it might have been filthy.

Not really... since this boat is a 2008 and just had its 1st 20 hour service from new a couple of weeks ago. I've installed K&N filters on pretty much everything I own after the 1st service, such as cars, motor cycles, lawn tractors, etc... I was just wondering if other folks out there are running K&N filters on their rigs and if they noticed any improvement in hole shot or planing out. I GPS'd both the stock Penta arrestor that came standard prior to the 20 hour service and running the K&N filter after servicing so was looking for input since I did notice an improvement. Another thing I noticed that I used a little less fuel over a 3 1/2 hour run that I like to make under the same water conditions. ;)

marada1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'm running one on my 4.3L. Don't really have a before and after comparison because I added a 4bbl at the same time. But K&N makes a good product.

cribber

Lieutenant

So what 4bbl did ya go with and how much did you gain? My filter bumped the WOT rpm to 4800, when before it would only hit 4600 under the same conditions. I got an averaged increase of 2 mph to 46 with a 14.25 21" pitch prop WOT... not bad!!!

John_S

Rear Admiral

Like marad1, mine went on with a 4brl.

It is hard to make consistant and comparative runs in a boat, especially on different days. Clean the volvo per manual. Then gps with K&N. Do a down and back run, average the two. Leave trim at same position, people and load distribution the same. Change to volvo and make the same down and back run. If wind and waves are different, do it until conditions are equal. report back.

An 18'er w/3.0L @ 46mph is very good.

marada1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Those sound like pretty impressive numbers for a 3.0L on an 18ft boat.(?) What prop are you running?
I did the Vortec head upgrade with a Edelbrock Performer manifold and 1409 carb. Before the change I could only turn the 3 blade 21" Solas (aluminum) 4000 RPM @ around 43 MPH. Now I'm swing'in the same prop 4600 @ 51MPH (GPS). Getting ready to do a prop upgrade to hopefully improve all round performance. Still doing the research on that.

cribber

Lieutenant

I think I've made about a 5% increase power based on http://www.boattest.com/boats/1233/test_results.aspx

Considering the investment, not a bad buy for your buck. Plus that chrome hat sitting on top of all that red just looks good!!! I'm running the stock 14.25 21" pitch prop. Got a lot of stuff to learn before I start tweaking that area of the boat.