Striper Fishing

Fly Rod

Commander
Re: Striper Fishing

:) I agree Rolmops!!! I hope he would catch them all also!!!! :p <br /><br />The Brits use em for Fish &chips!!! :eek: :eek:

chadchurchill

Seaman

John- Crescent Beach is horrible. First off the launch that the Lobstermen use is only for commercial fisherman and isn't worth using anyway. A buddy of mines father is a lobstermen and when they take it out at the end of the year it usually takes one truck with the trailer and another truck to tow that truck up the ramp because you can't get any traction at the bottom of the ramp. Launching from driving down onto Crescent Beach isn't much more fun because it is extremely shallow and you have to get a permit from the Cape Elizabeth Police Department to drive onto the beach. We did it last year with a 14' aluminum and after backing the trailer and the truck into the water we ended up lifting the boat off the trailer to get it into the water. The closest good ramp is at Pine Point, but it costs $10 for residents and $20 for nonresidents so I don't launch there either. I launch at Spring Point in South Portland and if you get there before the attendant gets there at 7am it is free, after that it's $3 residents and $6 nonresident. <br /><br />You can catch plenty of mackerel at the red can in front of Portland Headlight and then it is a 20-30 minute ride around to Richmond. After the Headlight you get swells from the open ocean, but you can pretty much stay close to shore the whole way. Look at a chart and there is one reef (Trundy Reef) that juts out off of Cape Elizabeth that you need to look out for. I'm heading out there Saturday afternoon and spending the night on the island, so I'll be fishing there Sunday Morning.<br /><br />Oh, and I have a 17 foot center console and I just prefer catching Stripers and Bluefish. A lot of times once you start catching dogfish, all you catch is dogfish.<br /><br />TripleC

Johnshan1

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Thanks a lot for the info Triple. I have launched at spring point a good number of times now, we have headed out past the headlight and down around 2 lights but then turned around, as you said, the swells are there.<br /><br />Im heading down the saco river on saturday, it would almost be just as easy to make a run from the saco to richmond I would say? My 15' center is fairly small, and homemade at that.<br /><br />
dock2.jpg

Johnshan1

Thanks, I wish it were bigger though! And sorry to hi-jack your thread!!

gaugeguy

Captain

I know that boat and ramp! I have seen that boat before on the Saco, and actually commented about it to my buds. Nice boat Johnshan1!

Johnshan1

Wow thanks a lot for the kind comments. I hope I wasnt doing anything too stupid when you saw me? :) I have spent a lot of time on the saco this year thats for sure...

gaugeguy

Captain

Actually we were anchored, pulling schoolies out of the rip where it opens up into that big shallow bowl about 1/2mi up from the ramp heading to the ocean. I guess you weren't doing anything stupid, cause that doesn't stick out in my mind, but your boat does.<br /><br />I fish out of a 20' blue center console princecraft with NH tags. If you see me there give a yell.<br /><br />Haven't had to much luck in the river this year, a few slot fish, but no cows. We did land a 38" out at the end of the jetty, and just couldn't stretch it any longer ;)

mikecjn

Petty Officer 1st Class

Johnshan...TripleC,<br />Do you guys launch out of Marblehead when you hit the Saco? Pretty nice ramp for this area. <br />For the last couple weeks the football tuna have been as close as a mile or so out.

Johnshan1

Hey Mike, yes Marblehead is the launch I use. I will be there tommorow actually, gonna head out after some stripers.<br /><br />How do you catch football tuna and whats the limits on them? I will do some research, but that sounds interesting. <br /><br />-John

mikecjn

Petty Officer 1st Class

Johnshan1,<br />You need to get a permit prior to going out for tuna. <br /><br /> http://nmfspermits.com/initialapp.asp <br /><br />It is really something to look into though if you haven't already. The school tuna have been coming in so close the last few years so even the coastal recreational fisherman has a good shot at them. They are averaging 50 to 70 lbs.<br />Take a look at the Saco Bay Tackle web site. I am sure you are already familiar with them but just in case,<br />www.sacobaytackle.com<br />They are very good with giving information as far as where the fish are and what is working at the time without trying to sell you what you do not need. One of the best places around in my opinion.<br />As far as striper and bluefish are concerned, my wife and I usually do well right at the end of the jetties.<br />As far as mackeral goes usually between the 4 and the 5a bouys have been the best for us in the past.<br /> <br />On a side note, if you were thinking about coming a little farther down, the Wells harbor boat ramp was just redone last year and made into a public ramp. No more launch fees and the put in a floating dock. It is still a single lane ramp but a major improvement over how it has been.<br />Good luck tomorrow.

Ralph 123

Captain

Johnshan1, <br /><br />problem with dogfish (sand sharks) are several. 1. As they come up, they circle and flail like mad. If you have any other lines nearby chances are excellent they will become a tangled mess. 2. You can't net them, once in the net they twist and flail like made entangling themselves in the net. 3. Lots of nice sharp teeth and a nice big spike near their tail that the try to stab you with while trying to unhook them.<br /><br />Best way I know to deal with them is bring them to the side of the boat, pin them against the side to keep them still and the tail away from you. Grab them by the nose and bend it back opening the mouth. Take a pair of pliers and pull the hook out. Anybody have a better way?

rolmops

Vice Admiral

I got finned a few times, right deep in my arm.I'll try your way.<br />The best way is to only use artificials,because that triggers them much less than the live bait.

Johnshan1

Interesting, thanks for the info.<br /><br />I only got 3 small stripers today on sandworms, 18" in length :( <br /><br />Took a swim off the back of the boat, boy that waters cold! 64 degrees doesnt sound that bad until you get in.<br /><br />Had a great time though and I suppose thats all that matters.

Fly Rod

Commander

:) Yes!!! watch out for that tail spike!!! Also watch out for the spike at the beginning of the dorsel fin [not as much as the tail] Have bleach and water on board!! if spiked squeeze the wound a few times and wash with bleach, water and soap solution!!! That spike is full of bacteria!!!<br /><br />On a conservation issue, bring dog fish to side of boat!! slash fish with knife,cut line loose and that fish will never be caught again!!! ;) :cool:

Ralph 123

Captain

Thanks for that tip FR - I had no idea about the bacteria. Luckily I have thus far avoided getting stuck but not by much :)

springhead

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ralph, you were right on the money,the bell went off two weeks ago, the bluefish and the stripers if you can get thru the blues are in the narragansett bay and all around Block Island,<br />The bluefish boils are the biggest ive ever seen,<br />even the blues are bigger this year average 28 inchs, i have a video of the frenzies while on my boat ,ill try and figure out how to put it up here<br />, or a picture for the people who have never seen the blues make the water boil, fun stuff

tomatolord

Chief Petty Officer

why dont you guys use circle hooks??<br /><br />granted you cant use them on lures

Fly Rod

Commander

:) 2 reasons why i don't use circle hooks are:<br />1.I'm from the old school why change it if the old way works!!! :rolleyes: <br /><br />2. Circle hooks are ment for the fish to run and the fish sets the hook!!! I feel you lose more fish with the crcle hook on stripers!!!! And sometimes with the circle, they also get belly hooked!!! With a regular hook, most of my fish are lip hooked!!!