Striper Fishing

Fly Rod

Commander
:) Striper fishing around Cape Ann has been excellent!!!!We just finished our 2nd week of the commercial season and is exspected to last for another 2weeks!!!! The striper fleet keeps getting bigger every year with about 40-50 boats clustered together on Sunday!!! Alot of big fish over 40" are being taken !!!<br /><br />On opening day 10,000lbs. all caught on rod & reel were landed at the auction and prices went from $3.00 per lb down to $.75 by days end!!! By mid week prices were back up to 3bucks!!! ;) :cool:

rolmops

Vice Admiral
Re: Striper Fishing

In the local supermarket they are still well over $10 a pound.A good thing that I caught 190 pounds in three days.

Fly Rod

Commander

:)we got on to some serious fishing and had 13 fish over 40" and our largest was 45" weighing 38-1/2lbs. in 2hrs.!!!<br /><br />Here in the fresh fish market it is selling for 9.00 a lb.!!!<br /><br />The striped bass fishery has made a great come back here on the east coast!!! And here in the north east it is the #1 sought after game fish with recreational fishermen harvesting over 25 million lbs. Conservation works!! Just 12 -15 years ago these fish were almost extinct!!! ;) :cool:

rolmops

Vice Admiral

The same goes for cod and haddock.If only the halibut could come back as well.Then it would be an almost complete succes.<br />There are 2 fishing highlights for me during the year.They are the spring deepsea fishing trip for cod and haddock to shake off the winter limpness, and then later,the big summer striper,blues and fluke expedition.<br />Few things are as satisfying as seeing my 12 year old with a big striper in his arms,or seeing him jigging off the back of our 19 footer in 5 foot waves without a hint of fear or seasickness.<br />We owe a big thank you,to whoever created fish!

mattttt25

Commander

rolmops- you have a 2 fish limit up there? if so, you averaged 32 lbs per fish for 3 days?

gaugeguy

Captain

Stipers have been off lately. Except for the footballs (which we haven't caught up with again :mad: ), bluefish and dogfish are the only thing we are catching. Another 2-4 weeks and we should get back into them as they start migrating south.

chadchurchill

Seaman

Same up here, up until 2 weeks ago there were good numbers of stripers, but for the past couple weeks I've only caught blues and a couple dogfish. They say there are still stripers around, but I guess they've been avoiding me. They also say the footballs are around Saco Bay, but haven't given it a try. With the blues around it is also a bit harder to find the mackeral.

Ralph 123

Captain

BOATING & COASTAL RECREATION NEWS<br />return to story index<br /> <br />Menhaden <br /> <br />Bass, bluefish feeding frenzy due; Southern New England bays, inlets to be busy places soon<br /><br />By SEAN MULREADY<br />For The Patriot Ledger<br /><br />Sometime in the next few weeks, a bell will sound all along the coast of southern New England.<br /><br />This one won’t warn of fog, dangerous shoals or hidden rocks. Sailors won’t hear it. Beachgoers won’t notice it at all. <br /><br />It’s a dinner bell that goes off in bays and inlets throughout the region, and it gets the attention of bass and bluefish. It wakes them from what anglers consider the summer doldrums, and sometimes sparks feeding frenzies that can be visible from boat or shore. More often, it’s plainly visible from the sky to the terns and gulls constantly patrolling for a chance at some easy food like the stunned and mangled baitfish that often litter the surface during a blitz of bass or blues.<br /><br />It’s a great time to be a fisherman. Light tackle and topwater lures can provide constant action under the clouds of birds that indicate the progress of schools of bass or blues.<br /><br />It’s a bad time to be a baitfish. Those birds feed on any bits and pieces the game fish don’t take for themselves, and can pick off uninjured bait forced to the surface attempting to escape the threat from below from those who answered the bell.<br /><br />Why now? Who are those snack-sized minnows that big fish love, and where have they been all summer?<br /><br />Gary Nelson, an aquatic biologist with the Massachusetts Department of Marine Fisheries, knows better than most which fish are being eaten. From 1997 to 2000 he worked on a study of the food striped bass favored at various times and in various places along the coast.<br /><br />‘‘In August and September,’’ Nelson said, ‘‘about 30 to 40 percent of (stripers’) diet was made up of menhaden.’’<br /><br />The juvenile menhaden (called ‘‘bunker’’ in more southern states; ‘‘pogies’’ in most of New England) are often called peanut bunker. The adults spawn offshore, according to Nelson, and the juveniles move into the estuaries in late summer when they’re several inches long. <br /><br />In a typical year the 30 to 40 percent figure might hold up, but things have been happening to the local pogy supply in the last decade.<br /><br />‘‘We don’t get the huge schools of pogies in Massachusetts anymore,’’ Nelson said.<br /><br />‘‘We don’t know what’s going on here. Down to the south, the spawning stock is static, but the juvenile stock has been declining. It could be caused by environmental problems, or it could be that the striped bass eat so many of them.’’<br /><br />Either way, only a small remnant of those huge schools turns up each summer along our coast. Still, it provides just enough of a local breeding population that peanut bunker still provide an important percentage of food for game fish. <br /><br />River herring usually comprise the second-largest portion of the stripers’ diet during late summer. The alewives that most of us call herring create the larger portion of the schools of river herring. The rest would be made up of blueback herring, a slightly smaller relative of the alewife that often uses the same estuaries and streams to access its breeding grounds. <br /><br />At this time, the ‘‘young of the year’’ - as biologists refer to juvenile river herring - are descending from ponds and rivers to the bays along our shores. At times, the schools of bunker and herring intermingle. <br /><br />From a fisherman’s point of view, it generally doesn’t call for much of a shift in technique. Herring tend to be a bit slimmer in profile, and that might call for providing a smaller lure or jig to match their size and shape. Peanut bunker have a distinctly distended belly that make them easy to distinguish from the herring. <br /><br />Since this summer has been anything but typical, the ‘‘top three’’ baitfish have been edged out by a distant cousin - the sea (Atlantic) herring.<br /><br />Biologists checking on this season’s bait supply along the South Shore have found that schools of juvenile sea herring have moved inshore in far greater numbers than usual. Some think they may provide the bulk of the forage right now. <br /><br />They have a similar appearance to the alewives and bluebacks, with a somewhat slimmer body, but they’re not the only skinny bait in the bay.<br /><br />If you see some really slim, almost eel-like bait in Plymouth or Duxbury, you’re more than likely seeing an entirely different animal: The sand launce, known locally as sand eels. Most common on the Cape, where anglers gather them with basket rakes all summer, juvenile sand eels in the four-inch range are present now wherever good, clean sandy bottom can be found. In a study this summer, biologists noted that Plum Island held a huge supply of these odd animals.<br /><br />About the only other juvenile fish of note would be the silversides (think skinny smelt) in any of the rivers, or some shad coming down out of the North River.<br /><br />Adult smelt have shown up more than a month early in waters off Hull and are another unusual part of the bait supply. <br /><br />No matter what the mix, this is a great time to be out there for schoolie bass, an occasional keeper, and blues of all shapes and sizes.<br /><br />If you’re lucky, the feeding frenzy caused by the schooling juvenile fish will make nearly any small popper, lure or jig irresistible.<br /><br />If not, try to adjust the size and shape of your presentation to what the fish are eating for lunch that day.<br /><br />Either way, be thankful you’re a fisherman on the water after the dinner bell has rung in August.<br /><br />There may not be a better time of year to find non-stop light tackle action in this area.<br /><br />Copyright 2004 The Patriot Ledger<br />Transmitted Thursday, August 12, 2004

Ralph 123

Captain

FISHING LINES<br /><br />By SEAN MULREADY<br />The Patriot Ledger<br /><br />From on board or on shore, here's where the big ones are biting: <br /><br />From boats<br /><br />Quincy to Hull<br />(Monahan’s Marine, Russ Eastman)<br /><br />The tuna that visited last week zipped up to Maine by most reports, but Charlie Lemieux who works at Monahan’s managed to boat a 60-pounder while the action lasted. He used a Yozuri Crystal Minnow on which he had to replace all the split rings to gear up to the power of football sized tuna. One thing that might bring tuna back is the presence of lots of bluefish throughout the bay in and off shore. If you’re looking for bass, get up and greet the sun to give yourself a chance at the steady supply of schoolies that seem to feed well early and then sit and sulk when the sun gets up too high. A few flounder remain around Peddocks and Rainsford islands. <br /><br />Cohasset to Scituate<br />(Belsan Bait and Tackle, Peter Belsan)<br /><br />Topwater action started this week as small bait pushed in along Peggotty and the Glades. Mixed bass and blues have slammed poppers and swimmers tossed around the schools of bait. Most of the bass are schoolies. Rick Figuierido of Pembroke found a much bigger one that weighed 38 pounds. It fell for a jig wire lined at Race Point and topped Belsan’s Heritage Days fishing tournament held last weekend. Other entries fell just shy of the 30-pound mark and showed that big fish are out there. Most of those taken had crabs and lobsters in their gut so think about getting down deep with your lures or bait. Blues up to 10 pounds have established themselves from Gun Rock Beach out to the 21 can.<br /><br />Marshfield to Plymouth<br />(Baymen Outfitters, Captain Dave Bitters)<br /><br />‘‘We’re in the middle of our third worm hatch right now,’’ said Bitters, who cited the challenge of eliciting a strike from overfed fish that can inhale all the worms they want without much effort. He ties a special worm fly at the shop that has worked well for his top fly rodders. Yesterday the wind was up a bit for fishing that hatch. It should be high tide with little wind to maximize your chances of boating bass. Blues have pushed in well from Cohasset to Plymouth at all depths. Bitters insists that topwater lures have been delivering three times the action of deep runners for some reason. The tuna action slowed here as it has elsewhere. A few fluke still keep showing in Duxbury. <br /><br />Canal and Buzzards Bay<br />(Maco’s, **** Hopwood)<br /><br />The blues are here. Big blues up to 12 pounds have slammed bait near the east end of the canal for much of the last week. In Buzzards Bay, blues have shown more steadily than before, but average half the size of their Cape Cod Bay relatives. Fluke fishing has turned picky with anglers working hard to get a few good fish at Mashnee. The same goes for flounder along the channels up to Onset. Scup remain steady below Stony Point Dike. Sea bass have slowed down as well.<br /><br />South Cape<br />(Green Pond Fish’n Gear, **** Lewis) <br /><br />Last week’s fog gave way to this week’s wind and many boaters just gave up. On Sunday, 6-foot surf smashed into some south-side jetties and made it impossible for most small boats to venture out. When the wind has died, anglers have found good bass fishing on eels along the Elizabeths and in front of Nobska. Wasque has been hot and cold for bass and blues. Bonito seem to be holding steady at Hedge Fence, but haven’t come across to the Cape side in any big numbers yet. Fluke aren’t quite as easy to find as they had been.<br /><br />North and Outer Cape<br />(Blackbeards Bait and Tackle, Paul Neumier)<br /><br />Blues, blues and more blues. Smaller ones have taken up positions inshore, terrorizing minnows from Sandwich to Provincetown. Head toward Rock Harbor and you won’t have any trouble finding 5- or 6-pounders. If you want to check out some slammers, head for the remnants of the target ship and start looking north of there for blues into the low teens. Bass remain at the Race and at Billingsgate. Small keepers dominate the catch. Wire jigs provide the steadiest action at both places. <br /><br />Cape Cod Bay (offshore)<br />(Jazz Charters, Roger Jarvis)<br /><br />‘‘Not too exciting’’, quipped Jarvis after a long trip that netted only one keeper off the Race. He had no trouble adding some blues to the catch in the same area. Nearer to home, some local anglers report still finding tuna only three miles or so off the Gurnet. One reported landing a fish Tuesday morning on his boat. Jarvis advised gearing up for the footballs or you’ll do nothing but lose gear and harm the fish. To boat the fish earlier this week, the anglers used surf rods equipped with heavy Penn reels loaded with 80-pound braided line. A 40-pound test fluorocarbon leader ensured that a breakoff would cost them only some leader and a lure, and not the whole ball of expensive braided line. <br /><br />From shore<br /><br />Quincy to Plymouth<br /><br />Scituate has had some topwater action in close enough for surf casters at Peggotty, the Glades and Sand Hills. Hatches inside the bays have brought in lots of bass, but taking the overfed fellows presents a challenge. You can flyfish or just float a seaworm with the current to get their attention. Blues have been reported fairly close to the beaches so a blitz could happen at any time. <br /><br />Canal and Buzzards Bay<br /><br />Bass fishing in the canal has produced a fair number of small keepers this week for those tossing chunks early or late in the day. Blues have shown up throughout the canal, providing some topwater action at times. Big blues have schooled at the east end of the canal, at times coming within reach or surfcasters on the beaches and jetties.<br /><br />South Cape<br /><br />Scup action picked up for those casting from shore - 1-pound to 1½ -pound and a half scup hit seaworms tossed from the Great Bay jetties yesterday and the day before. Nobska still turns up a keeper or two every evening for those tossing eels into the rocks. Elsewhere, schools of small blues have moved back and forth along the beaches each morning.<br /><br />North and Outer Cape<br /><br />The safest fishing bet lately has been the dropping tide at Sunken Meadow where blues up to 6 pounds have kept local tackle stores happy selling wire leaders and additional poppers and tin. The outer beaches cleaned up well with the heavy southwest winds. Reports of bass have come in from Coast Guard and Nauset Light beaches in the last few days.<br /><br />Copyright 2004 The Patriot Ledger<br />Transmitted Thursday, August 12, 2004

rolmops

Vice Admiral

hello Matttt25<br />My son and me caught about 15 stripers each for every day we were there.We only kept the ones that were over 43 inches.There were 9.

mattttt25

Commander

9 over 43 inches in three days? wow. we just don't get them down here. good for you.

Johnshan1

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hey TripleC,<br /><br />I landed 10 24" stripers in under an hour in the Saco last weekend, they were nailing hard.<br /><br />Where and how far out do you need to be to catch dogfish?<br /><br />I have had zero luck in Casco Bay this season, ive put 70 hours on the outboard mostly in the saco river and bay. <br /><br />any tips for our area?<br /><br />-John

chadchurchill

Seaman

John,<br /><br />I fish the Saco early season before the make their way to Casco Bay and have always had pretty good success. We caught the dogfish off of Richmond Island where I fish most of the time. We were fishing live mackerel on balloons, but a couple times when a blue would mangle or take just part of the bait and pop the balloon, we would just leave it out and it would go to the bottom where the dogfish are. Bluefish and stripers are much more fun to catch though. It's more of a nuisance to catch the dogfish.<br /><br />As for tips I've only been fishing Casco Bay from a boat for two years, previously it was always from shore. I really like to fish Richmond because 9 times out of 10 you catch some fish. This year I've had the most luck with live mackerel or flies, haven't had much luck with lures except early season on the Saco.<br /><br />Went out yesterday(Saturday) morning in the fog from Spring Point to Richmond. Caught a bunch of mackerel around Portland Headlight and then caught some bluefish out by Richmond. Maybe I'll try the Saco next weekend, what were you using to catch them?<br /><br />TripleC

Fly Rod

Commander

:) Matttt25!!!<br /><br />Whata mean ya don't get stripers that big!!!<br /><br />The Cheasapeke is home of the striped basss!!!<br /><br />Have to have big or bgger fish !!!!!<br /><br />They all congregate and spawn down your way!!! ;) :cool:

Ralph 123

Captain

It's more of a nuisance to catch the dogfish.
Got that right TripleC! I had the unfortunate luck of catching about 30 in one day - I swear they were following me! Turned the side of the boat into a nasty mess. And then to make it worse, I was trying out one of those $20 big fake eels and a dogfish chomped it off at the rear hook! I don't think that one survived the catch and release process :)

Fly Rod

Commander

:) Big nuisance catching them dogs, but sometimes if ya tolerate them it does pay off!!!<br /><br />Recently caught & released about 40 dogs but the rewarding factor was we also had 13 stripers over 40" in that 4 hr. period!!!!

Johnshan1

TripleC- I was trolling tubes with a sandworm on the end of the hook, "Barrys Tubes" is what the baitshop calls them, just a tube really.<br /><br /><br />How big is your boat? I only have a 15' center console so im rather limited to where I go.<br /><br />I was thinking of launching at cresent beach where the lobstermen go, but I am unsure of how rough it gets and how quick it turns up.<br /><br />-John

Johnshan1

Oh and a dumb question, whats wrong with catching dogfish? No fight? Or just the fact that they are of no real desire to people? <br /><br />Im thinking of launching at cresent and head to richmond island, if you have any tips send them my way, I know of the rock wall at low tide that connects the island to the mainland beach, any other hazards?<br /><br />Thanks <br /><br />-John

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Nothing wrong with catching dogfish.Please catch them all and take them home with you.You will find many grateful fisherman.