Stripe Removal

oneoldude

Seaman Apprentice
Ok, so I have stripes I need to remove from my boat. I read back posts about removing vinyl stripes and decals and they suggested it be done with a heat gun. I bought a heat gun and started working on removing some stripes. Yup, the stripes softened, I was able to get a hold of the vinyl and started pulling it off. When I pulled it off there seemed to be clear tape underneath the stripes. I heated that and it does not seem to want to come off. I can not seem to get it started and am afraid of damaging the gelcoat with too much heat. Hmmm.<br /><br />After trying for a while with no success, it came to me that what looked like clear tape under the stripes might simply be glue. But the heat gun did not seem to soften it. So I tried 91% alcohol, mineral spirits, Goof Off, WD 40, and window film adhesive remover. Nothing worked. I did not try acetone yet because I don't have any on hand. Can someone tell me what is going on?<br /><br />What am I looking at? What am I doing wrong? How do I get the stuff under the vinyl stripes off without damaging the gelcoat?<br /><br /> HELP!!

Realgun

Commander
Re: Stripe Removal

Are you sure it is tape? Does it have a ridge you can feel with your fingernail? If there is no ridge I would believe you have found the gelcoat. If there is a ridge thats very intersting. I would wonder why they would use a cleat coar on the boat then apply the tape.

oneoldude

Seaman Apprentice

Realgun,<br /><br />It is not clear coat. It is exactly the same dimension as the tape I pulled off of it but it was underneath the tape. And yes there is a ridge that I can feel with my finger nail. <br /><br />I suspect it is the glue. There must be a chemical solvent that will work. Sanding is not what I had in mind.

cc lancer

Petty Officer 1st Class

If the stripe was dark blue or black the gel-coat will "raise" where the stripe was. It was hotter than the rest of the boat.<br /><br />Now it is possible that the vinyl came loose and left the adhesive behind. Before you go spending money, heat up a small area and see it you can scrape it off, if it doesn't come off then it is raised.<br /><br />Two years ago I was removing stripes, the vinyl came off and what was left behind was adhesive with powdered aluminum in it. I had to use a 3-M stripe remover in a drill to get the stuff off. :)

jimmythekid

Petty Officer 1st Class

yes 3M woodgrain and stripe remover will do the job if it is indeed adhesive

oneoldude

Seaman Apprentice

cc lancer,<br /><br />I think youv'e got it. The stripes are blue and it seems the gelcoat under the stripes is higher than the rest. What a mess!<br /><br />How hard will it be to sand this down nice and smooth and get it to blend with the rest of the gelcoat? Manarootie my orbital sander is going to get a real workout on this beast.

a_bullfrog_a

Seaman

I just took about 2 hours and 2 friends and peeled<br />with a razor. remember that for the future, nothing<br />like good ole elbow grease.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Try "Gum Cutter" from Napa auto. I removed wood grain vinyl in my boat by heating then peeling and was left with the adheasive, just like you. I used gum cutter. Spray on, wait 10 seconds, then it scrapped off with razor real easy. It became the worlds stickies stuff so have lots of paper towels available for cleanup.<br /><br />Probably any carb spray cleaner will work too.<br /><br />Mark.