Stringer Pushing through bottom of Boat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bouttime007

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Stringer Pushing through bottom of Boat?

Wow that was a long read.

Its too bad Bainey had to be in the dark about his boat for this long without being given nary a notification by Tahoe of the procedure. I can honestly say I wount NOT have been so patient about the whole ordeal. Kudos to you Bainey, and I hope you have smooth sailing from here on out. I really hope Tahoe has learned a valuable lesson from this debacle too.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I don't disagree with the thought that Tahoe's warranty probably has something in it about their right to repair or replace as they see fit. I also don't disagree that this sort of thing is common in warranties concerning other products such as automobiles. When talking about cars, it is even common for the insurance companies providing damage coverage, to claim the right to repair or replace at their disgression.

The problem with reliance on such clauses in a case such as this, is that they are worth exactly nothing when a defective product, which should have been replaced but was repaired instead, subsequently fails and serious bodily injury and/or death results. We are not talking about slapping an aftermarket fender on a damaged car, rather than a factory part. Instead, what is at stake with this boat, is base level reliability of something that could fail with catastrophic results if not remedied properly. The simple fact of the matter, is that the risk management folks at Tahoe will have to consider the consequences of facing a jury in a civil lawsuit, if something dire happens. My opinion, also based on a lot of real world experience, is that they shouldn't want to even contemplate a jury getting a crack at such a case.

I keep pointing this out because this is not a hull with some bad gelcoat, or other minor flaw. Go back and look at the photos that bainyg provided a link to - the boat had come apart in multiple locations, including stringers penetrating the hull in at least one location. His own insurance company surveyed the boat and offered the opinion that the problem was due to a manufacturing defect. I just don't know how in the world this hull could be properly repaired, with any degree of certainty that it won't just come apart again in a location where problems are not presently apparent. Maybe I'm wrong, and I would love to hear the opinion of someone with extensive knowledge of fibergalss hull construction, but I don't think so.

The sad part of it all is that, in many companies, these sorts of problems are often decided by the bean counters, instead of the risk management and quality control people.

I'm still hoping that sensibility has prevailed and that bainyg will have a boat returned to him with a new hull.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

From the few pics we saw it was difficult to see exactly what the problem was, but yes, almost anything made from fiberglass can be repaired to be as strong as new, if not stronger. Is it cost effective to do the repair is the real question, many times it's not because of the man hours involved, so the part, whatever it is, just gets replaced.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

I would love to hear the opinion of someone with extensive knowledge of fibergalss hull construction

jay....ondarvr, is one of the countrys top experts, in fiberglass, gellcoat, and has extensive knowlage of all processes of fiberglass hull construction

From the few pics we saw it was difficult to see exactly what the problem was, but yes, almost anything made from fiberglass can be repaired to be as strong as new, if not stronger. Is it cost effective to do the repair is the real question, many times it's not because of the man hours involved, so the part, whatever it is, just gets replaced.

this site (iboats) has some really heavy hitters here.......

we all wish bainey the best....and well see soon :)

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

OK, so here's a question ... and the answer could possibly alter my entire view of this situation ... assuming that there is some sort of problem with this boat which resulted in multiple areas of structural failure, could the boat be fixed in such a way that both the apparent problem areas, and the ones that are not currently apparent, are repaired. If so, could this be done without adding significant weight to the boat.

I guess my concern with this boat is that it wasn't laid up properly, and that there are still many areas in the hull that will be likely to fail in the future. How would you know whether or not they are there?

Also, given the possibility of voids and other problems remaining in the hull, what assurances could Tahoe offer this owner in regard to likelyhood of future problems and/or major structural failure?

If these sorts of issues are easily fixed, and the manufacturer can definitively say that the hull would meet its original design specifications, then I would say all is well no matter if they repaired the hull only.

I do think your point about the economics of it all still plays into the decision but, just for consideration of fairness towards Tahoe, I am curious about the above questions.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

My question is, wouldn't they have to dismantle a large portion of this boat in order to complete even a repair? I would think it would be more cost effective for them to slap his parts in a new hull after dismantling his boat then to continue working on an extensive repair.

Uraijit

Banned

Wow, I just got done reading the thread. After page 6 or so, I started just reading baineyg's posts.

So they ended up just doing a repair job? Did you ever get a copy of the surveyor's report? I'd try and get a copy of it, and hang onto it, just in case you have more problems in the future. If something happens in the future, you're gonna want as much documentation as possible... When it comes to civil matters, it's all about the preponderance of evidence.

Glad you're getting your boat back, the last 4 months must have been frustrating. I'm running full-speed ahead trying to get my boat ready for the water, and the lakes are still filling frigid melt-off out here!

fixb52s

Chief Petty Officer

Well, we have to wait and see what they have done here before jumping to conclusions. I would hope they were smart and repaired it correctly (new hull) but we don't know until he gets it back.

I would also suggest that boat gets a complete inspection by an independant surveyor before you even get near water with it. Make sure it was put together correctly (ie: the fuel tank properly secured, etc.). Don't sign any paperwork saying you accept it until you do. You could be signing away any rights you have, so be careful.

Just wondering, have you tried to contact Tahoe and asked them just what they have done with it? I would think this would be a simple phone call.​

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Could it be repaired and be just as light and strong as new? yes, would it be cost effective to do it? probably not. They would need to go through basically the same steps people here do when replacing stringers, cut everything out, do lots of grinding, then glass it all back together. They aren't set up for this kind of work and it would take people off the production line. In production it takes about a day to make a new hull with no real interuption in the normal process, so it may be easier to replace the whole thing.

We don't know what kind of "repair" was done, nor do we know exactly what the problem was, or what caused it. So to speculate on what the proper repair should be is difficult at best. I think I would've had a long conversation them on what caused the problem and what was done to fix it before now though, and he may have, we don't really know yet.

baineyg

Seaman

I emailed tracker factory today. I would call but they've changed the customer service number to manpower and manpower won't transfer me to the warranty department. I asked them to email me with the shipping status, what type of repair was done, and the new hull # if they put a new hull on. I didn't get a response. I called BPS yesterday and they said they won't know when the boat will arrive back but will call me as soon as it comes in. In the 100's in Vegas and lots of people pulling their boats out for Memorial Day weekend. I'll post an update as soon as I hear something.

cbavier

Lieutenant

I emailed tracker factory today. I would call but they've changed the customer service number to manpower and manpower won't transfer me to the warranty department. I asked them to email me with the shipping status, what type of repair was done, and the new hull # if they put a new hull on. I didn't get a response. I called BPS yesterday and they said they won't know when the boat will arrive back but will call me as soon as it comes in. In the 100's in Vegas and lots of people pulling their boats out for Memorial Day weekend. I'll post an update as soon as I hear something.

Another example of Trackers lack of communication and poor customer relations. They definatly need a complete management overhaul.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Most of the boat manufacterers in the US have had massive layoffs, so I don't doubt there are very few people to talk with at Tahoe if they're like the rest. Don't give up, keep calling every number you can find, eventually you'll get through to someone.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

This is the most outrageous thing I have heard in a long time. The only possible conclusion that I can draw from such behavior is that Tahoe/Tracker feels that it has something to hide. Other than gross incompetence, what would be the possible benefit to a company to be so unresponsive and secretive?

I suppose I will continue to follow this thread just to see if a new hull was provided but my mind is fully made up in regard to this company - I wouldn't buy a floating key fob from Tracker Marine, LLC, or any of its related companies.

KeyWestBoater

Petty Officer 1st Class

When the boat comes back I wouldn't sign anything accepting the repair until you know exactly what was done and you've thoroughly had it inspected. Also I wouldn't sign anything which releases Tracker from liability.

baineyg

Seaman

It's Back!!!
It arrived today wrapped like the factory said. BPS is going to reinstall the batteries and prep it for return to me tomorrow. Hopefully everything is better than new. I'll have to see what type of paperwork there is. I'll definetly post some factory repair pics for everyone to see. Guess I might make it to the lake for Memorial Day after all!
Oh, It's wrapped like new so the store can't tell if the Hull is new or not. I'll tell everyone tomorrow.
On a side note, Saw 4 Tahoe Q6's at the lake saturday (out w/neighbor), 3 ran, one was stuck at the dock with an inop trim button. Wonder how long that'll take to fix?

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Probably about two years and the owner will never find out if they rebuilt the switch or replaced it! ;)

TheWoodCrafter

Chief Petty Officer

Congrats Bainey.
I'm surprised you got it back so fast and in time for Memorial weekend.
We need lots of pictures.

bhammer

Ensign

That is great news! Just in time for the long weekend. :D

Robj

Lieutenant

Great news. Glad to hear it is all working out for you. The long story is finally coming to a happy ending. Go out and enjoy it.

Have a great day,

Rob.

Hashi

Chief Petty Officer

WHOO HOO!!!Congratulations and we all hope that you'll never have to go through this again.

Have fun on the lake!

Status
Not open for further replies.