Stress Cracks DIY step by step W/PICS

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral
Hello Iboats..

This is the second installment of DIY ..

Stress cracks..

http://s699.photobucket.com/albums/vv352/YachtDr/FW509/

Its as simple as the air void post I did..

1. grind/die grind out your repair to the glass ( these cracks went under the rubrail..so you have/should chase them ). I removed the RR for proper repair..

2. Clean and fill . The picture shows what I mix.. Cabosil/resin/fine cut up mat .. and a tad bit of blue gel to get the base "close" before spray..( kinda hard to spray those new low VOC gels that have poor pigmentation without having to make a mountain of gel to cover ).

3. Prep and sand till low "fair" .. you want your spray repair to be "low" .. I mean dish that baby out in your prep..you will "fill" it with gel coat..

4. Spray the Gel. ( used a preval on this one too ) .. 5 coats should do it.. .... .. .. I know some may say " naw..3 coats.." but in colors you want to spray 2 extra coats to sand off.

5. wait a day..

6. sand to 1200 grit and buff lightly on colored gel till blended ( harder buffing on the blend line )..

7. done..( might have to rebuff after a couple of weeks..do not over buff on 2 day old colored gel repair..just IMO).

* use a "patch aid" or some additive to thin your gel to spray .. not acetone. With colors I would use MEK. for the reducer.

YD.

NetDoc

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Stress Cracks DIY step by step W/PICS

Great info and links. Thanks for sharing them. I have some spider cracks in my boat and I certainly don't think they merit this much attention. Maybe after I deal with some other issues... but not yet. :D

rocket ron

Cadet

Great stuff now i have the information that i need to repair a few wear & tear marks as well as a couple spider cracks, thanks again Yacht Dr

smartalik

Cadet

Yacht Dr, thanks for the great info. Can you use a flow coat instead of a gelcoat in the mix for colouring or will the wax cause issues?

Regards,

Sean

glnbnz

Chief Petty Officer

This thread is much appreciated. I have a place on my boat that was "repaired" before and then spray painted. That I need to take care of.

I have bookmarked this for future use :)