Strengthening the transom?

Karlisj98

Cadet
Hello all so yesterday i brought this engine and the guy had the boat just sat in the garden and he ended up selling me boat with the engine at first i thought it was matching (In new to all this) but clearly not the transom would snap if i full throttled it so im wanting to make it stronger but i can give it to the boat it can handle rough seas
biggrin.gif

The engine inside looks pretty much brand new never been used in salt water but could do with a water pump change anyone know where i can get a replacement?

Attachments

• 3a3e5af6-5f79-47fc-a176-44f47fbab642.jpeg
    3a3e5af6-5f79-47fc-a176-44f47fbab642.jpeg
    247.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 9bf65ca8-c6a7-43e0-be8c-75e5c9db6bab.jpeg
    9bf65ca8-c6a7-43e0-be8c-75e5c9db6bab.jpeg
    316.6 KB · Views: 27

Grub54891

Admiral
Never saw that brand of motor before. Have a model/serial number? Where are you from?

briangcc

Commander
Quick google search shows its over the other side of the pond. Post from '05 on ybw forum said to pay a few euros for one. I was going to say the skyline in the background of the photos hinted at this being overseas.

Supposedly made long, long ago by Volvo...honestly never knew they made outboards so learn something new every day. Given its not a major brand, you may have a chore finding parts. Not saying impossible, but it may take you quite some time to find. Depending on how difficult, this may be a piece of wall art.

As for strengthening the transom...umm...yeah it sat outside probably derelict for years correct? Probably going to need a bit more than just a stiffening.

Karlisj98

Cadet
Quick google search shows its over the other side of the pond. Post from '05 on ybw forum said to pay a few euros for one. I was going to say the skyline in the background of the photos hinted at this being overseas.

Supposedly made long, long ago by Volvo...honestly never knew they made outboards so learn something new every day. Given its not a major brand, you may have a chore finding parts. Not saying impossible, but it may take you quite some time to find. Depending on how difficult, this may be a piece of wall art.

As for strengthening the transom...umm...yeah it sat outside probably derelict for years correct? Probably going to need a bit more than just a stiffening.
Yeah about the actual boat i have no clue but the engine iv heard its from the late 70s iv been trying to do some research on it its hard work to find anything so yeah parts i might have to try find similar and make them fit but Volvo made a good few outboards and as for the boat yeah in Spain sat in the sun for a while seems to be taking on some water but i cant find no holes or crack in the boat apart from pain cracking could that be the reason its just seeping threw? and the transom yeah i have nooo clue .

aspeck

Staff member
I would say any wood in it is rotten and you will probably have to do a major rebuild to make it safe to take out beyond swimming distance. Check out some of the fiberglass restoration threads. You may not want to take on this project.

Karlisj98

Cadet
to be honest i also have a 8HP motor that would probably be better for it and yeah there's only a thin peace of wood on the outside of the transom but inside is hollow i thought maybe making like a wooden frame and attach the inside of the transom to it but yeah ill look on the fiberglass restore thread thank you!
I would say any wood in it is rotten and you will probably have to do a major rebuild to make it safe to take out beyond swimming distance. Check out some of the fiberglass restoration threads. You may not want to take on this project