Strange Issue

raven1978

Petty Officer 3rd Class
While cruising on the rideau canal this week i encountered a strange issue. Cruising at 4000 rpm, 22 mph, oil pressure at 65 psi, 13.6-13.8 V, and 185 F. On plane going across the lake my boat just quit. Engine goes dead, gauges all flat line like the key is off, but it is on. This happened more than once with no real warning, happens at different times but not frequently. Then tonight after backing into my slip at the marina, i jump off the boat to tie off and leave engine running for a minute or two to cool down, and same thing happens, engine quits and all gauges flat line. After this happens i am able to re-start without any issues. Any ideas i am completely baffled.

1985 bayliner 2150 ciera sunbridge with aq125a/270 with point ignition

captmello

Captain
Re: Strange Issue

That is strange. I'm going with a faulty ignition switch. You could bypass the switch and see if the problem goes away...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Loose/corroded connections can also cause your problem.

raven1978

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sry i should have stated that all connections are clean and tight, first thing i checked ;-) . I myself was leaning more to the way captmello is, i am sorta thinking that the iggy switch, (since it is original to the boat) could be faulty intermittently. It is 27 yrs old and controls all ignition and instrumentation.

raven1978

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I realize this is an old thread, but wanted to update. Went out to do some stuff on the boat this morning and decided to track down the mystery issue. Since (I.M.O.) this issue seemed like an ignition switch i started there. Disconnected all wires to said switch and checked resistance. 10.8 Ohms from B+ to I. That seems a bit much for a switch (since they should have no resistance). Opened it up and....

2013-03-25 10.12.07.jpg

2013-03-25 10.12.31.jpg