Stereo Upgrade

Jim x 3

Recruit
Our pontoon has a Jensen JMS32 head unit and 4 ASA Electronics MS650 speakers. We would like to upgrade to a much louder and better quality system. What would you recommend? Would we require an extra battery if we got an amp? Thanks Yall!

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 4
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4

sam am I

Commander
Unlike a car, the acoustic properties an open air cockpit such as boats/toons etc aren't really the best sounding board for high fidelity equipment, esp so when you're moving down the lake.

Even the best of the best highest power and lowest SNR isn't going to do much for you. I suggest and found headphones work excellent in a boat. PLUS....You can listen to what you like/enjoy at mind blowing, ear drum shattering db levels and not inflect it on someone/ppl who perhaps don't.........Win Win

XS POWER

Seaman Apprentice
Cheapest bang for ya buck would be a generator and PA speaker/s. Use ya phone for music. Or buy a decent deck, tweeters and midrange speakers an amp to run them and some basooker tubes with built in amps, you will need to run another battery or 2

briangcc

Commander
Before the pandemic, I was looking at a Rockford Fosgate unit as it fits in the same opening as the Jensen. Easier controls from what I could tell. Haven't gone past the research phase since my kiddos are getting into fishing (finally) and booming bass/loud music isn't conducive to that activity.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I know if you come by my dock with the music up loud, you may get the spud gun Shot at you. I’d take the suggestion you use headphones.

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer
If you want good sound, particularly loud, then you NEED an amp. It's not just to be super loud. The extra power of a good amplifier helps with fidelity even at low volume levels. If you're going to play the stereo with the engine off for very long at all you really should get a second battery. If you kill the only battery then you are stuck.
Crutchfiled.com is a great place to start. Also rocktheboatmarinestero.com.
The really high end boat stereo gear is Wet Sounds or JL Audio. Next down with much more reasonable prices is Fusion and Skar. However, most people would be perfectly happy with Kicker or JBL.
On my boat I have the factory Sony speakers which I hope to replace soon. My sub is a marine Alpine 10". The JBL amp for the sub is a regular car stereo unit I bought on Ebay for less than $100. The Sony Marine amp for the other speakers I also bought on Ebay for about $75 I think. This is all powered by the factory Sony CD player. It does quite well but better main speakers are on the list.
Mostly don't be a jerk by playing it loud around other people, near houses, and late at night.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Those crazy multi-millionaires up on the Three Lakes chain will put a rifle round into your engine if you disturb them with too loud of tunes. I never heard if they caught the guy, I suspect not, but I know of 2 boats that didn't start the next day.