Steering leaks

lvhdude

Cadet
I have a 1996 Four Winns, 5.8L EFI Volvo Penta Duo-Drive. I have removed the power steering actuator/cylinder assy from the boat because of leaks and hard steering.
I saw in another post about steering issues there was a kit available to repair the actuator, and was looking for info on repairing the steering cylinder as well. I found the cable sticky in the actuator sleeve likely causing the hard steering as the wheel and cable works freely after removal of the steering assy.
As best I understand it the cable moves the sleeve slightly as the wheel is turned either way, moving the sleeve to actuate the valves inside which causes the pump to drive the cylinder in the correct direction.
It was mentioned in another steering post that 5 Star Marine has a seal kit for the actuator, but asking about the cylinder seals drew a reprimand as I was hi-jacking the thread.
Sooo..... Anyone have any idea where to find the cylinder parts? Thanks.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
buy a new cable and do some reasearch on seal kits.

I buy my seals from fivestar marine.

and yes, you were hijacking someone elses thread. you read the rules when you joined.

lvhdude

Cadet
buy a new cable and do some reasearch on seal kits.

I buy my seals from fivestar marine.

and yes, you were hijacking someone elses thread. you read the rules when you joined.
The steering wheel and cable moves very freely once it was removed from the actuator tube, you would still replace it? And I didn't find much for replacement parts for the cylinder, including 5 star marines website, unless those seals are included in the actuator kit? And yes, I already apologized for the hi-jack.

lvhdude

Cadet
So here's the update. Seals for the older style cylinder are not available. Five Star Marine does not offer any service for them. The new style is a very nearly direct replacement, but for the clevis pin to attach the steering cable being a tad short. Half a cotter pin hole. Sourced a remanned unit with a 2 year warranty, it is installed and working. Steering turns lock to lock with one finger.

Rinker85

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So here's the update. Seals for the older style cylinder are not available. Five Star Marine does not offer any service for them. The new style is a very nearly direct replacement, but for the clevis pin to attach the steering cable being a tad short. Half a cotter pin hole. Sourced a remanned unit with a 2 year warranty, it is installed and working. Steering turns lock to lock with one finger.
Yes, you are right, 5-star Marine does not sell a seal kit for the older models. My model is 3860726. I found a seal kit on Amazon for that model. I hope it works. I have thread started asking for information on how to replace the seals.