Steering froze on 86 mercruiser.

Big.wet.will

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
May 10, 2012
Messages
5
Hey guys. My steering is frozen on my boat. Not power steering. Behind the dash is a flat bar with a bar that slides back and forth. There is a housing that the cable goes into attached to but below that bar. I took the plastic caps off the end of that bar and sprayed pb blaster in it and tapped on the internal bar with a chisel and hammer. Nothing. By the way, I did disconnect the cable from the rack on the transom before I did anything and the lower unit moves free with the cable disconnected. What should I do? This is my first boat so tell me like u would tell someone that knows nothing about boat mechanics...... LoL! I'm tryin' ..... Thanks
 

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Mar 26, 2007
Messages
23,767
Re: Steering froze on 86 mercruiser.

Typically the freeze up point is in the back in the steering tube. When you disconnected it from there, did the wheel turn smoothly?
 

Big.wet.will

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
May 10, 2012
Messages
5
Re: Steering froze on 86 mercruiser.

Typically the freeze up point is in the back in the steering tube. When you disconnected it from there, did the wheel turn smoothly?
Is the steering tube that flat bar behind the dash? I disconnected the cable in the back of the boat. Just pulled the pin out and the outdrive moved free but the wheel won't turn still. When I'm under the dash and try turning the wheel, I can hear it click when it gets the point it won't turn anymore (which it only moves at all from the play in the wheel, doesnt move the cable.I haven't disconnected the cable from under the dash yet.
 

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Mar 26, 2007
Messages
23,767
Re: Steering froze on 86 mercruiser.

No, the steering tube is at the other end and that's most likely what's frozen (or the cable). They do definitely wear out.
 

pevaguy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Joined
Nov 28, 2010
Messages
84
Re: Steering froze on 86 mercruiser.

When mine froze up at the steering tube, I sprayed it with penetrating oil and let it sit a while. Then, after making sure there are no gas fumes, heated the tube with a propane torch while tapping on the rod on the end of the cable. Once you get it freed up keep it well greased.
 

Big.wet.will

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
May 10, 2012
Messages
5
Re: Steering froze on 86 mercruiser.

Thanks y'all! I'm gonna try this stuff and I'll let you know how it turns out.
 
Top