steering console FD

sandusky

Cadet
Help, I'm looking for a starboard side steering console and wheel for my 1963 FD, Like the one in the accessories catalog. thanks, Kev

River - Runner

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: steering console FD

Last week on Monday a 1968 FD boat with that console sold on eBay. It's the same as a 1963 and it was nice to see that the whole rig was kept all original, which is rare. I only hope the new lucky owner keeps it that way. I have that same FD boat but without the console and considered bidding on it, but I just do not have the storage room for it and I think I'll regret it later.<br /><br />You may have to buy the boat to acquire that console. This is good, because then you would have two of these great boats!

River - Runner

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just see now the boat is on eBay again. Check it out..... a chance for you or someone here. Nice to look at, with many pictures. I hope it will be kept all original.<br /><br />I also have a 40 hp motor on my '68 FD, but with tiller steering.<br /><br />The sale price is a donation to Rawhide Boys Ranch, WI. and donation is backed by Mission Fish.

sandusky

Cadet

Thanks for the heads up. I emailed the folks at Rawhide and tried to just buy the wheel and console, but no luck. Looks like I might have to buy the whole thing.I've already got 3 Alumacrafts and 3 Crestliners .Maybe this is just a good start!

River - Runner

Petty Officer 1st Class

You would be the best owner for that boat...... a collector? Most do not realize what they are looking at. With some work that boat would be a looker.<br /><br />I live in town and will not store boats outside. I would have to rent a garage and I'm not ready for that. It would be great if you ended up with it, because some day I could maybe buy it from you.<br /><br />Here are two last summer pics of mine. I bought the boat and trailer on 6-22-68 for $530.45 (have receipt). It's still all factory original including the trailer tires. Five different boat ramps are within three miles and I use it hard and a lot. Most of it's use is with a 1969 25 hp. Johnson motor and I need a picture of that.<br /><br />
FDleftsidePB.jpg
<br /><br />
FDrightside2PB.jpg

Help, I'm looking for a starboard side steering console and wheel for my 1963 FD, Like the one in the accessories catalog. thanks, Kev

I have not seen the acessory catalog. My FD has this "Helm-rite" made by Lafayette Supply Company. Does it look like this?

Attachments

• Inside.jpg
    Inside.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Controls.jpg
    Controls.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 0

River - Runner

Petty Officer 1st Class

The factory original steering on the FD is console steering on the starboard side. I need to find a picture of it.

It looks like the Helm-rite could be mounted on either side. Also, I discovered it is attached to the hull with rivets, not bolts, which makes me think it was a factory install.

Last edited:

River - Runner

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't have the accessories catalog, but found the AlumaCraft book on How to buy a Quality Boat. I picked it up at a dealer when I bought my FD boat in 1968.

Sometime I'll scan all the pages and post them on a separate new post. It has some interesting information to share. You'll learn things about these boats and appreciate your boat even more. They're the best.

This page shows the optional steering and forward deck. For now, it's all that I have showing the remote steering. The 1960 FD would be the same. The pictured boat is the FD, rated for 40 hp or 865 lbs. max. for persons, motor and gear.

FDboatconstruction100C.jpg

That I know of, your steering isn't factory original but it's a very nice setup, enjoy it! Your boat will outlast you and who you pass it on to.

sandusky

Cadet

The console in the pic. is what I'm looking for. it mounts to the starboard side and is ident. to the backrest/ steering console in my sons "59" Flying D his boat has both starboard and port consoles that serve as back rests for the front seatsI'll keep looking. If anyone spots a starboard console out there somewhere I'd appreciate a email ; portsun1@hotmail.com thanks Kev