Steering Cable Question - Wheel only move 1 way

big_chief

Seaman
So my boat has been sitting about a month. I go to crank it up today and happen to notice my steering wheel is not working.

The "wheel" itself seems fine. But the motor only turns 1 direction. (turns "out")

My setup is very simple. I just want to know if this is "fix-able" or if I need a whole new cable.

Below are 2 pictures of my setup. I use a BRACKET on the transom that grips a "tube" which the cable slides in and out of. It seems like the the INSIDE of the cable has become DETACHED from the pin that connects to the motor.

Basically, when I turn the wheel so the cable goes OUT... all it really does is "push" the motor. But since its no longer attached INSIDE... it will not "pull" the motor back when you turn the wheel. I circle in RED where it seems to have become detached.

This is a small "low budget" boat... Is this fix-able? If not, does anyone have a PN for a cable?

Thanks, images.jpgteleflex-outdoor-steering-cable-tp_3424881416123416827b.jpg

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Steering Cable Question - Wheel only move 1 way

So if the motor is not connected to the steering it will freely turn port/starboard?

And if the wheel is turned the solid portion of the cable is not moving? and the outer casing is still attached to the transom bracket?

Well,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, you need a new cable. They are available here on iboats and ordered by length. More than likely there is a length set of numbers on your old cable's casing.

You can try to work it back and forth not connected to the motor and some people have rescued cables that are corroding (inside) but it is rare.

replacement cables http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Rotary-S...8854118--session_id.415711467--view_id.246976

m casey stock

Chief Petty Officer

Mine did the same thing. Needs a cable.

big_chief

Seaman

Correct... the motor moves fine when I disconnect the cable.

The "inside" of the cable itself... the actual "core" part that looks like a "coil/spring" also moves just fine when you move the wheel.

The problem is... that "coil/spring" part should be "solidly" attached to the "bar" that connects to the motor. BUT... In my case... its no longer attached to this bar. Something happened inside the "sheath" and its broken, corroded, etc.

I started taking it apart thinking this "core" might have a thread and I could re-thread it? But that didnt work. I'm guessing it might be a "press fit" of some type... which I dont think I can salvage.

Thanks for the insights...

boobie

Supreme Mariner

As said above, you need a new cable.