Starved For Gas

Dagojoe

Cadet
Hello:
I am new to boating and boat repairs. I have a 1994 115 hp Evinrude outboard motor (oil injects automatically into the gas/engine). I was out last night and the motor kept dying on me. I ended up having my wife keep squeezing the gas bulb to keep the motor going while I headed for shore. Any suggestions what I should look for? Do you think the clip going onto the engine can be bad? If you think its the fuel pump can you point me to where it is located (under the floow with the gas tank??). Hopefully these questions don't sound too stupid but I can really use some advice.

Dagojoe

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: Starved For Gas

Sounds like a faulty fuel pump. Follow the fuel lines to find the pump, it will be behind the fuel filters, which i think are labelled on that motor. May also be an air leak or faulty bulb, listen for an air leak while pumping the bulb, also does it get firm when you pump it?

SawBum

Cadet

Ck out this thread. There is another one that I am trying to locate also. If you want, PM (private message) me and we can discuss more. The fix that I suggested in this thread http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=208117
I have not been able to complete yet since I got sick:(. I have done a lot of work to find a simulare problem.

Dagojoe

Cadet

Thanks for all the good tips everyone. The bulb does stay firm when its pumped and I don't hear any leaks. I may start by replacing the anti siphon connector clip to the motor as a first step. Not reallllll mechanically inclined so not sure how much I will do before I take it to the shop.

Dagojoe

Dagojoe

Cadet

I have two more questions. Is there a simple way of checking for the proper venting? Is there a simple way of checking for air getting into the fuel lines?

Once again, thanks for your help.

Dagojoe