Starting to feel the pinch

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Re: Starting to feel the pinch

From DJ
I guess my whole point is that don't fall into the "woe is me" trap.<br />
No, not crying in my beer, just getting disgusted that money is getting eaten up by inflation. <br /><br />And I'm angry that the perks that I have worked so hard to be eligible for over the years are now evaporating because the company is cutting back. Cutting back bonus, cutting back stock options, cutting back merit raises. All I see is my income is getting cut, and the cost of living is going up. And that is my big complaint. One or the other is ok. But both together really stink.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I look at it this way. Everything that is in a business or home gets there by truck. With the fuel prices way up, the cost of the price of fuel has to be put onto the consumer.<br /><br />A place can't stay in business if a profit can't be made. Doesn't take a genius to figure that out.<br /><br />Those that were around in the early 70's during the gas crisis then saw the prices soar for the same reason. When the barrel of oil keeps going up, expect everything else to follow. It is us the consumer that pays for that increase. Stop the increase of oil and you will see an increase in the economy.<br /><br />Plain and simple, we need to pump and refine our own oil for our own people without any exports to other countries. I don't want this to sound selfish, but if it has to be then let it. Let our own oil dictate our own economy without the influence of foriegn countries controlling the economy.

crab bait

Captain

yeah,, it takes alotta fuel to ship BACK our products from 3rd world east jabipp..

steve n carol

Chief Petty Officer

JB wrote... Tough times come and can be overcome. Quality of life has little to do with what you have but more how you deal with what happens. That about sums it up really well!!!sl

gonfishn

Commander

There is the other side of the fence to..The retail side has seen a 20% drop. Small Business folks are closing right and left.<br /><br />I started my retail operation at a time when most are going out. I wouldn't advise anyone to to start a new Business unless you have enough in the bank to cover your cost for the next 8 to 10 months..

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by JB:<br /> Ahoy, David.<br /><br />I suggest that you find and read the energy bill that President Bush sent to congress several years ago, and which was squashed by liberal tree huggers.<br /><br />I suspect that you will switch to blaming different culprits.
Didn't that happen in the Republican controlled House?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

I am all for it<br /> 300 -400 new wells in alsaska minimum. 4 or 5 pipelines as well. who needs carabou and such. then we can mosey on down to the outer banks and another 400 - 500 wells, we dont need the fish nor the crabs. another use for the sierra mountain range is a nuclear test site that will lead to gold,silver and copper mining. blast the mountains down and there it is. then we can go on over to the gulf coast. they already have polluted waters in texas so another 800 wells will be a good thing. who the ell goes to the coast,sirreas and alsaka anyway. its not needed so lets just drill on it. the current admin and the big oil cronies all vacation in south america so they will protect the environment. just think of the money saved if we just shut the EPA down :) :) man I just solved all the problems for 100 years of new world order. just trust the government, they will never kie and always do the right thing. ask them.

Realgun

Commander

The funny thing Rodbolt is that there are more Carbou than there were before the pipline was put in just to let you know. Damn we will be overrun with them like deer in the east. :D

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

I know the deer thing. they are not native to the island yet I have 15-18 of them in my yard every day. pretty critters though. I dont allow hunting here so they hang about. now if I could just teach them to chase off coons and opossums. not all the heards in your area have grown. some shrank but they really dont know why. and so far no one has shown that the amount of oil there is worth the drilling and the 10 years it will be before Japan sees the first barral.

rogerwa

Commander

After all the standard Bush attacks and his links to oil, I would like to know what exactly these critics should have him do about it.. <br /><br />Funny how the critics of Bush complain about all the cheap products coming in from China because it takes jobs away from Americans, yet they complain because things are too expensive. I can tell you, things would be a heck of a lot worse is all of our goods were made by good American union labor. This is not a slam on unions, it is a fact. Higher labor costs result in higher product prices.<br /><br />Bush has been dealt serious problems. 9/11 being bad enough. In my opinion we are in remarkable shape for the trials we have been through the past few years.<br /><br />Again What do we expect Bush to do about the gas prices?? What would Kerry have done. If your going to complain put up or shut up.. Allegations and calims that his 'hands are not clean' really reads like sour grapes.<br /><br />Quagmire?? Where is the Quagmire?? Blather.<br /><br />If I was sick of making the same old wage for the past four years, my response would not to sit there and wait for it go up and complain about the president. I would get a new job. The world is your oyster and the only one you have to blame is yourself for not going after it.<br /><br />Mark this is not aimed at you.

NYMINUTE

Captain

Congress investigating steroid use in Baseball. Relief campaigns for foriegn countries. This is what our elected "Leaders" spend their time on. If something isn't done soon to slow the inflation I see a war in the future. Middle Class America vs. the politicians. I can imagine what effect this has on the fixed income retirees too.

PW2

Commander

Hmmm...JB, There are a number of parts of the energy bill that would pass in a heartbeat, and what is stopping them is all the controversial crap that is all bundled with it in an "all or nothing" proposal.<br /><br />Let's have these programs stand on their own merits, separate them, and see which parts pass and which don't. We are likely to get a far more responsible bill.<br /><br />And all those that thought gas prices were going to drop soon, stand up.<br /><br />OPEC is pumping at capacity now, so these prices are here to stay until we wise up and do things that reduce usage and demand for oil.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

PW2<br /> I could almost agree if ALL the oil from alaska and other spots was coming tothe US. however its a free market and our oi, not like many other countries, is forsale to the highest bidder. its not state owened but big oil company owened. the oil company just pays the lease. its amazing how much is shipped overseas. china,russia,japan, north and south korea as well as most other countries run on oil as well. try to sneak a bill past that proclaims all oil under US soil or US territorial watersbelongs to the people and not big oil and see most our admin cry foul. venezuela is state owned and premium unleaded is all you can burn at 28 cents per gallon.<br /> as far as clean hands read some about poppa bush and grandpa presscott. he traded with the Nzis until after WWII. had some of his assets seized over it.its all public record just start pulling it up and cross checking it.

PW2

Commander

As far as US oil going to foreign markets, they originally had a provision banning export of North Slope oil until they figured out how stupid it was. North Slope oil is high in sulphur content, and many Asian and Japanese refineries handle it fine, and we can utilize the low sulphur crude they would normally buy.<br /><br />The oil market is a world market, and different refineries are better set up to handle different grades of crude. Artificial restrictions are just plain silly and costly to all involved.<br /><br />As far as oil companies making a profit, welcome to the world of capitalism, my friend.<br /><br />As far as the Bushies are concerned, it is not relevant to this discussion.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

gotta agree with ya there. we dont seem to have a problem with venezuelan crude which is also high in sulpher and very thick in the south texas refineries. its all about profits. sometiumes its artificially manipulated though. capitalism with no controls or oversight is as bad as communism with no controls or oversight. both work great on paper but neither works well,in a pure form, in reality due to basic human nature.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

PW2, I heard on the radio that OPEC is contemplating on raising production by half million more barrels a day. If they are running at capacity, how can they raise production?<br /><br />I also heard late January that OPEC cut production. Very little was said, but I heard the raidio mention it. Low and behold the next month the price raises. Yeah it figures out that they purposely cut production to push the price higher making a bigger demand.<br /><br />I feel that it is a world wide scam that nobody can do anything about it except pay up suckers.

PW2

Commander

Thats the point exactly.<br /><br />Opec says many things, but if you look at actual OPEC production figures, it is remarkably stable. They don't have the capacity to increase production..<br /><br />Frankly, I think their biggest fear is that the price gets too high for too long, and the world invests what it takes to develop alternatives to oil.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

SS its their oil, they can pump and sell it or not. however we have oil that also raises and falls with opec. you think west texas crude stays the same when opec cuts production? nope. its sold to the highest bidder.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

You all know that I'm no economist by no means. It seems to me that the demand for oil increasing at a rate that it is, we will be out of oil before the social security system falls completely apart.