Starting the swap.....

mikel1291979

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I am starting the swap today. I will keep this post going and WILL DEF be asking for advice and opinions throughout. Would be great if some of you motor gurus could give it a look from time to time and tell me what you think. Thanks in advance and if any of you come to East Tx let me know, and drinks are on me.

Heres the plan.
1. Take carb, intake, risers, exhaust manifolds, heads and acc off the motor first. Not nec in that order.
2. Take heads to machine shop for valve job and resurfacing. $92 per head plus the seals.
3. After I get the call from machine shop that my heads are good, take the 2 hour trip to dallas to pick up the 4.3 from city motors. $550 with pump and gaskets (would be $450 but my old block is cracked so no core.).
4. Bring engine home and put on stand. Replace freeze plugs with brass and remove the cam.
5. Pull old cam out of marine engine and if it is good I will install it into new motors with new lifters.
6. Install the fresh heads on new motor.
7. Gets tricky here.... I have met a couple guys (shade tree mechanics) with a shop they work in on the weekends 1 mile from home. For $500 they will pull the old motor, button up the new motor, drop it into the boat and get it completely running. Or I can go to the local equipment rental place and pick up a material lift rated to lift 800lbs and try to pull and install the motor myself. I would be doing this basically by myself and I have installed motors on 60's mustangs and 70's broncos 15 years ago. I am INTIMIDATED with all of the electrical connections and other crap I see on this motor that I have no friggin clue what they are or what they do.
Opinions?
oqgh3s.jpg

Looks like I have a decent amount of room to do the swap at least. Is it normal for the stringers and bilge area to be covered in this black fiberglass? material? Have never seen it before.
riw9vt.jpg

What do you guys think?

TilliamWe

Banned
Re: Starting the swap.....

I am not 100% certain that you should install an old cam with new lifters. It would be better to use the matched old ones.

"A lot" of the wiring is contained on the motor. When you unplug that big plug, there's not a "ton" of other wires to disconnet from the engine. The wire to the starter from the battery of course is one. The hardest part will be transferring the wires from the old motor to the new motor, especially since you are removing the heads first.

mikel1291979

Petty Officer 2nd Class

These are flat tappet lifters. I can't reuse them.

mikel1291979

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Does anyone know where I can download a service manual? 1989 4.3 merc.

littlebookworm

Chief Petty Officer

You're off to a good start, but, please, get yourself a service manual, even if it's not the Mercruiser one. Anything is better than nothing. When you disconnect the rear mounts and lift the engine, notice the sequence of the fiber washers and the double wound lock washers back there. The engine pull itself is not that difficult since you've done car engines. Shoot plenty of photos of the wiring, hoses, and linkage so you know how everything goes back. Get some ziplock bags and a permanent marker to store and mark the bolts and nuts from different areas. Make flags from masking tape and mark your wires as you remove them. Make of note of multiple wires on any connection, such as the starter and coil. I've done a few V8 Mercruiser engines by myself. It's not easy but not backbreaking. Just be careful. Hy

mikel1291979

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Im trying to find a manual somewhere. I have no problem paying for one as long as I can download it now. Its turning out to be a PIA.

infideltarget

Master Chief Petty Officer

Google it. There are several places to get PDF format service manuals for the Merc. If DonS comes in here, he can give you the link, but I bet if you search the forums, you will find the link. It is there...I have seen it.

mikel1291979

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Google it. There are several places to get PDF format service manuals for the Merc. If DonS comes in here, he can give you the link, but I bet if you search the forums, you will find the link. It is there...I have seen it.
I have been googling for hours. I can't find a single PDF manual for my engine. If I had the the 305 or the 350 I would be set. The only other ones I can find are for the drive.

infideltarget

2 1/2 minutes.

I think that cover all the years you would need?

boaterinsd

Petty Officer 1st Class

I bought a service manual from Seloc marine, HERE on iboats.com, for my Merc outboard. It gave me an website to veiw rightaway, anf they sent the text manual in a few short days.

mikel1291979

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Same question.

If you are reusing the cam, why not the lifters too? Just mark them and put them back in the same places.
Everyone I spoke to said you can reuse roller lifters but not flat tappet. It makes sense to me to mark them and reuse if Im using the old cam, rods and rockers. Save me some bucks if I can reuse them.

infideltarget

I think this is the one! I could kiss you! I wouldn't, but damn man thanks so much.

EWWWWWWW....! :D

No problem dude! Hope it all works well. I have re-used flat tappets in auto engines before with no ill effects. Like I said...just mark 'em and orient them correctly in the new bores, and assembly lube the ****e out of 'em. Should have no issues. I think they were referring to old lifters with a new cam. That is a no-no with flat tappets, due to the wear pattern. They prolly thought you were using a new cam.