Starting out on a journey. Wooden cruiser.

trevkudos

Cadet
I have a 55ft wooden cruiser that I have bought because of my love of boats.
I want to turn it into house boat.

I am currently having the hull restored.
Once i have a solid hull, what do I need to get to make it water tight.

My research thus far leads me to believe the process is:
- strip the hull
- apply a primer
- apply antifouling paint
- apply epoxy

Is this process correct?
Am i missing anything?

If my boat is 55ftx12ft how much can i expect to be charged for this service from a professional?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard, Trev.

What condition is the boat in now? It would help us to know how much work might be ahead of you. And where are you you?

Once you have 3 posts you can show us some pictures. Click on the Forum Help link in my sig below, then the Photo Tutorial.

Can't help with hitting the lottery. :blue:

trevkudos

Cadet
I will be taking photos and video this week with current progress. I am based in the UK with my boat on hayling island.
it is this boat: http://www.nationalhistoricships.org.uk/register/2916/hera-1961

Engines are removed, This is intended as a long term project. I am under no illusion it will be a mammoth task.
Will update soon with photos/video.

I will play the lottery for the first time ever this week guys. don't worry. How long does it take to win on average?
Usually, I'm pretty lucky.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
I will be taking photos and video this week with current progress. I am based in the UK with my boat on hayling island.
it is this boat: http://www.nationalhistoricships.org.uk/register/2916/hera-1961

Engines are removed, This is intended as a long term project. I am under no illusion it will be a mammoth task.
Will update soon with photos/video.

I will play the lottery for the first time ever this week guys. don't worry. How long does it take to win on average?
Usually, I'm pretty lucky.

Well you certainly got a belly laugh from me with your response. Nice ship you have there. I'll be tagging along.

TommyRocker

Seaman
I've been struggling to find time for my 14ft Caribbean resto!

Attachments

• photo285043.gif
    photo285043.gif
    564.9 KB · Views: 0

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
love wooden boat projects, tagging along as well , i bet ned will be here before long:)

Ned L

Commander
I have a 55ft wooden cruiser that I have bought because of my love of boats.
I want to turn it into house boat.

I am currently having the hull restored.
Once i have a solid hull, what do I need to get to make it water tight.

My research thus far leads me to believe the process is:
- strip the hull
- apply a primer
- apply antifouling paint
- apply epoxy

Is this process correct?
Am i missing anything?

If my boat is 55ftx12ft how much can i expect to be charged for this service from a professional?

OK, ........ I have to ask, ................... What do you mean by "apply epoxy"??????? I'll just start with that......

Ohh, ... and interesting boat..

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Well trevkudos I'm no expert . Ned would be that on these wooden vessels but If your painting the bottom and plan on glassing it with epoxy that would happen after you strip the hull and before primer ..Thats a lot of epoxy ...
Tagging along this should be fun ! :pop2:

trevkudos

Cadet
OK, ........ I have to ask, ................... What do you mean by "apply epoxy"??????? I'll just start with that......

Hi Ned, Here is where my ignorance becomes apparent.
All the paint has been stripped off the hull. She is in a sorry state indeed. pics to follow. The previous owner has made some repairs with marine ply, which quite frankly looks shocking. Planks still need to be replaced.

It was my understanding that epoxy was painted or sprayed onto the hull. I have only just bought her and with a startup to run its sometimes difficult to find time to educate myself. If you can advise that would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• photo285110.jpg
    photo285110.jpg
    365 KB · Views: 0
  • photo285112.jpg
    photo285112.jpg
    283.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo285111.jpg
    photo285111.jpg
    306.9 KB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Also, If anyone has any references to some good information or books, please let me know

Read the thread I posted on Ned's restoration. you will learn more about wooden boat building in Ned's thread than many people publish in books.

Ned L

Commander
I looked at your pictures. Yes, those 'repairs' are a bit interesting. Personally, I would start over with them.

Especially given the construction of her I would think long and hard, and do a lot of solid learning before I started covering anything with epoxy. (There are lots of people who will talk about drying her out well and 'encapsulating' everything with epoxy to stabilize the wood and prevent rot.) ..................... Not going to happen. She is double planked mahogany. There is no way you can even think about "sealing" the wood to prevent moisture from getting in. The damage looks like fresh water damage from leaky decks. Repair the decks properly and you will solve a lot of your problems.

What are your plans for her? (other than a live aboard). What sort of a rebuild do you have in mind??? A reasonable quality rebuild that will do her justice, a rebuild that will allow you to live on her without concern for longevity? Can you talk about your plans and intentions?

Have you considered have a proper survey done? With the correct surveyor that will provide you with an unbiased view of her condition and what needs to be done. On a boat of this size, and given what you have indicated of your skills you will save many times the cost of the survey in knowing what needs to be done and how to prioritize the work.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
When Ned speaks on wood boat repair.... all of iBoats listens....

trevkudos

Cadet
I plan to convert her into a liveaboard and most likely (but not 100%) sell her. However, my ethics would not allow me to do a "just enough" job. I actually want to make it really special and have longevity.
The only reason I will sell her is to buy another. Climb the ladder so to speak.

It will be turned into a minimalist live aboard with high technology with a view to being self sufficient. I will be putting in a powerbank, tesla or similar. Solar panels/tiles. The wheel house will be extended to provide an office area where i will work from. Down below one bedroom, with wet room. And an open plan kitchen/lounge. Electric underfloor heating.

I will for sure be getting a survey done. thanks for the advice.