Starting Dry

gkline

Cadet
Hello,

I have A bryant 182, 1999. It is a little tough to start when cold. I hate waiting to start on the dock when a line of impatient boaters is behind me. I know I can't start it dry, and where I store it, does not have access to water. Is there a way I can hand pump water into the engine to start it before I get to the water?

Thanks,

Greg

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I dry start mine all the time b4 heading to the lake. As soon as it starts, I shut it off....

gkline

Cadet
I did that my first season, and everyone told me not to. But I like to roll off the trailer and know she's going to cooperate - part of having a 20-year-old boat.

A moment or two to start it up is fine just for a check. Running it longer than that will cause problems.

In my mind, the main problem is not that the motor will overheat. That would take minutes of idling to accomplish. However, the impeller is spinning around dry. I would think that this adds stress.

Similar to needing to change oil more often if you tow a lot, I would be more apt to change the impeller each season if I were consistently running the motor dry for short bursts. An ounce of prevention...

Bondo

Staff member
A moment or two to start it up is fine just for a check. Running it longer than that will cause problems.

In my mind, the main problem is not that the motor will overheat. That would take minutes of idling to accomplish. However, the impeller is spinning around dry. I would think that this adds stress.

Similar to needing to change oil more often if you tow a lot, I would be more apt to change the impeller each season if I were consistently running the motor dry for short bursts. An ounce of prevention...
Ayuh,...... If an Alpha drive,.... I'd go a Second or two,....

The impeller is turning while crankin' on the starter too,....

Dubed

Petty Officer 1st Class
A 5 gallon bucket full of water on your swim platform, a hose, and gravity fed to some muffs.
Why take a chance and shorten the life of your impeller??
When you run out of water, shut it down

WIMUSKY

Staff member
A 5 gallon bucket full of water on your swim platform, a hose, and gravity fed to some muffs.
Why take a chance and shorten the life of your impeller??
When you run out of water, shut it down
Great idea

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Starting a motor dry is a mistake.----Find out why your motor is not a reliable " always start " machine !!

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Rubber impellers must be lubed
When I do my first start of the season I put on the muffs & turn on the water. Then I disconnect the raw water intake hose & fill it full of water this puts water right in the impeller housing. This works perfect it primes instantly.

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer
You need to find out why the boat won't start correctly and fix that. My '97 Larson was hard to start for years. The right mechanic finally replaced the ignition module and it fired right up after that.
Running your impeller dry will destroy it almost instantly.