A.F.C. 8511

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Getting to the good stuff.
need a starting battery for my rebuild.
Gonna run the Merc 115 CT XS.
Opinions, and suggestions.

ThomW

Chief Petty Officer
I have always used--and loved--Interstate Batteries. The ones I have used, both cranking and deep cycle, have always lasted many many years. An Interstate Cranking 24M-HD or even a 24M-XHD would probably be more than enough for you. Just my 2 cents though.

alldodge

Staff member
I like AGM's, but for the lower cost but long lasting, suggest go to Sam's and pickup the Duracell Marine AGM

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I have had good luck with Walmart batteries and Advance auto starting Marine batteries. In the last 5 years or so Advance has really jacked up battery price and you need to find one of their $30 off online coupon codes and buy it online and pick up at the store to get into a close range as the others.

also there are only a few battery makers. US Battery , Johnson Controls, Interstate, Excide. Most house brand batteries are made by Johnson controls.

Nicmiceric

Cadet
Just purchased a new battery from Batteries plus Bulbs and it is a dual purpose battery for cranking power and deep cycle. It didn't cost any more than the batteries I used to purchase at Walmart

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Battery brand name is only part of the equation. Battery "capacity" (CCA) for starting battery or RESERVE MINUTES for a deep cycle are the key numbers. Bigger is always better. You cannot have too much capacity but you can have too little. In your case it appears you do have a dual purpose need so a group size 27 would be my choice. And look at the number for that size battery from the various brands as the numbers are not the same within a group size.