Starter?

rickasbury

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Thanks @Chris1956 And if it will not jump I assume it is a gunner. I think between the battery and the starter, that's my problems. If not, I'll work on finding a decent manual from merc.
Thanks again-

rickasbury

I did get a manual so I can see everything in the starter circuit. Big help for sure. Only issue I see is, the wiring shows a red coming off the same post as the battery feed picture above going to a "circuit breaker" which I assume is the breaker on top of the motor with the red button, correct? That wire is not on the starter- if you zoom that head on, there is nothing else on that post- I'll have to look at the breaker..so I need a game plan on how I check the slave selonoid and the breaker if I can jump the starter correct? I'm not sure how much trouble shooting is in the manual I've been reviewing...I'll have to replace the starter battery before I get started. I'll look at the manual a little more. If the starter fails, likely problem solved but if it jumps then I need to figure out why the yellow/red is not getting power and that could travel up to the ignition key itself, correct?

rickasbury

So...after replacing my start battery, everything works as it should. Even took down to the ramp and barely even heard the starter before is was running smoothly.
Did find one interesting "junction box" of sorts I don't see in any of the manuals. I'm fresh water cooled, lots of hoses on the top right of the motor. I was looking because there is a wire, 12 gauge maybe, running hap hazzard from the starboard side main harness to it. And it is spliced like in 3 places!
Maybe with the bad battery the house battery was not getting charges. They both showed 12 volts with my volt meter- then I bought the little load tester and saw bat one was done.
Thanks for all the input- have learned a little about my a/c system and now the starter system. After Debbie comes through hopefully we are not flooded out and I can run it next weekend.