starter stoped

evinice66

Petty Officer 2nd Class
so my starter bendix will not jump up unless i coax it into doing so by banging on it a lil bit. ( i love hitting stuff and then i works) its a 1998 40hp force. would you just buy a new one or rebuild it? either way i dont want to wait! is a starter re-build a pain to do, or could even me deos it? it still spins.... i just wonder if its only an extra 20-30 $'s if itd be worth getting a new one. also i think i want to add a tachometer to my dashboard... anyone know of a ...... recommendable-easy-cheap-quality-adds thousands of dollers to the resale value of the boat--- type tachometer? peace

maxum247

Lieutenant
Re: starter stoped

Try a little white lithium grease on the starter shaft the bendix rides on, see if that free's it up, better not to bang on the starter, might crack a magnet in the starter and have to buy a new starter or rebuild the old one.:(

You'll need a 20 pole tach for your motor regardless of brand you buy.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

If the starter motor does not turn unless you bang on it, then it might be due to several conditions: Dirty commutator, worn brushes, brushes stuck in their holders due to wear dust and/or weak springs, or all four conditions.

Tapping the motor breaks the insulating properties of the dirt between the commutator and brushes, or loosens the brushes in their holders so they again make contact with the commutator.

Dis-assemble the starter and check the condition of the brushes and commutator. Do not clean the commutator with emery cloth. Emery is electrically conductive. Replace the brushes if worn and buy new pressure springs if they are weak or show signs of being overheated.

If the bendix does not rise and the starter motor is turning at full speed, then clean the bendix shaft with WD 40 and re-lubricate with motor oil, lower unit oil (my favorite since this is a high load point), or a very light grease. While you are at it, add a drop or two od lower unit oil to the top and bottom sintered bronze bushings of the starter motor itself. Do not use too much, it will sling out and contaminate the brushes and commutator. Use just enough for the bushing to absorb.

evinice66

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hmm sounds good! now all i need is a dictionary frank....haha i guess ill take it apart and look at it and see if it looks like anything that you said is happening. im really great at taking things apart... its just putting em back together that i have issues with, i didnt bang on it too hard at all and i just hit the bendix so i have a feeling i didnt break the magnet, there was a warning on the starter motor that said "do not strike with hard objects." but i was flaoting down river with a dead bowmount battery and i was a mile away from the launch in slushy freezing rain @ 33 degrees....ahhhh! and the wet suit i had on under all my clothing make me really cold! ahhh ha wow! dang walleyes are always getting me into such predicaments

mrwglo

Cadet

I had the same issue on my 90hp. Just shoot a liberal amount of WD40 down the shaft. Be careful not to get it on the top portion as it will lube the gear on top and it won't turn the flywheel.

wilgil

Cadet

Same thing happened to the starter on my '75 Chrysler 105. When it was disassembled, I was surprised by the fact that any moisture that might get into the housing had nowhere to drain out of. Mine had literally filled up over the many years of being hosed down, and the commutator and brushes where in a constant bath of water! I was lucky in that it all cleaned up fine. What I SHOULD have done was to drill a small drain hole so that it wouldn't happen again, but I was keen to get back onto the water that particular day. Of course I had already got the boat off the trailer before i discovered that the starter motor wasn't working! I hate it when that happens. Anyways, since the clean up, the starter has been great. Dunno if any of this applies to your much more modern machine!