Started the Vortec Head, LT4 Cam swap. Any suggestions?

Mkos1980

Chief Petty Officer
Well. With 57.5 MPH I need some more speed. This was with the 90 350 Mag and a small Crane Compucam. I'm ditching the 217 heads and going to run the 906 vortecs. Some say they flow a tad less, but they have the Iconel exhaust seat which helps alot in boating applications. Tonight I pulled all the pressed in studs and tapped them for screw in studs. The studs are not made for guideplates though as I am going to be running GMPP LT4 1.6 SA roller rockers. Gping to be also running Comp Beehive springs so that I dont have to get the valve soring seats enlarged. Going with GMPP headbolt set and felpro 17030 marine head gaskets. Also going to be running an Edelbrock Air-Gap RPM intake. I'd done a ton of searches on the cam and it seems this cam does not cause reversion at all. Well see what happens. (Cam was in my basement anyways collecting dust) Anybody see anything I may be missing?

First pic is stock, second is with studs removed, third is with the mr gasket collerless studs (looks stock ) and final is the nifty tool I used. Took about 2 hours total to modify the heads.

Attachments

• ebay 026.jpg
    ebay 026.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 0
  • ebay 028.jpg
    ebay 028.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 0
  • ebay 027.jpg
    ebay 027.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 0
  • ebay 030.jpg
    ebay 030.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 0

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Started the Vortec Head, LT4 Cam swap. Any suggestions?

"Not engine topics" means no engine topics, Mkos.

To I/O

Mkos1980

Chief Petty Officer

I realized I was in the wrong one when I clicked submit :(. My bad.

Uraijit

Banned

Those heads are garbage. You need to get rid of them.

I'll be happy to dispose of them for you. ;)

Good luck with the swap. Hoping to have a pair of Vortec Heads fall in my lap one of these days...