Starcraft Supersport 22 FT V5 235hp Johnson

spinnerbaits

Cadet
Re: Starcraft Supersport 22 FT V5 235hp Johnson

Here are a few pic's. Only one pic of it floating as you can see not registered in MI when photo was taken the boat was lauanched so I could get the trailer weighed to get plates. What a pain!

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 2013-04-17_13-34-39_251.jpg
    2013-04-17_13-34-39_251.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 9

elkhunter338

Master Chief Petty Officer

They make us get plates for a trailer and in Oregon almost all use gas from the gas station which has a the state/fed road tax.
We pay all the way around.

gitmanone

Cadet

Welcome to the 22' club, she's a beauty that surely been pampered. Just curious how much you stole it for?

spinnerbaits

Cadet

Taking into consideration 2 years searching the web 4-6 hours a week, having to drive 900 miles and take 2 days off of work, it is really hard to add it up. It was a fair price.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander

This is kinda off topic, but it looks like you're towing with a Forester in the pic (could just be parked there)...if so, how does do pulling that rig? I'm going to be towing my 18'er with a 2.5 liter Impreza, so I'm just curious.

If that's not the case, never mind :)

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I would like to thank you for buying that boat and dragging it far far away from me because it's existence was killing me. It looks much better in your pictures than it did in the ad. In your pics it looks more worth his asking price (although it appears my suspicions were correct that the trailer wasn't good). Congrats on such an awesome boat. Enjoy!

Get a removable mount for your bow mount. That's what I'm going to do with mine so I can easily take it off on non-fishing days and be left with only a small block in it's place.

spinnerbaits

Cadet

The photo you are refering to is the seller vechicle. I think we used a Jimmy when we launched it and only went 2 blocks fromh his home. I used an Avalanche to bring it home.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander

The photo you are refering to is the seller vechicle. I think we used a Jimmy when we launched it and only went 2 blocks fromh his home. I used an Avalanche to bring it home.

Thanks for the reply.

64osby

Admiral

Very nice V5 with a 235, add a nice trailer upgrade and the fact it is splash ready. Awesome :thumb::thumb:

spinnerbaits

Cadet

I did you a favor? Thanks for letting me get it. I still haven’t had it out yet, other than the test ride on the big lake "O". I plan to take it up to the U.P. of Michigan in a couple weeks. I agree about the quick release bow mount, I was interested in a dog bone shaped one on-line out of Australia. I have one on my bass boat, but seem it might be more in the way on the SS or take away the clean lines. Do you a preference on the mounts? The length of the shaft and thrust are all in question. The boat will definitely catch alot of wind, so I am not sure if the 101 is over kill.

JD in Milwaukee

Petty Officer 1st Class

On my 22' Islander that I converted to a center console I run a 24v 80lb Minn Kota with a 62" shaft. It works very, very well. I see no need to go with a 101lb troller. The 80lb stops and starts the boat very quickly and turns it on a dime. Battery life is fantastic as well. It would have to be unbelievably windy for the 80 to feel underpowered. I mean windy to the point you wouldn't want to be out anyway.

spinnerbaits

Cadet

DSC00644t.jpgDSC00645t.jpgDSC00649t.jpgDSC00653t.jpg
Sorry about being away from the Forum!
I found time to transfer the boat to the larger #7000 Calkins trailer the other evening. Started at the transom aligned it within a couple inches of the rearmost rollers, moving forward I slid the bow stop toward the rear about 2 foot before it met the bow. The distance from the transom to the single axle is the same as the distance from between the two axles, so it looks balanced. I am assuming the tongue weight should be measured when the trailer is level vs. not level. And the ball height needs to be at the same height to maintain level. I think it looks really good and have posted some photos. I bought a used wheel and tire to eliminate the space save that came with it and balance the stance. The next test is to launch and reload the boat to determine if it is worth a complete restoration of the trailer. I noticed that some of the keel rollers are flat verse notched for the aluminum rib on the Starcraft Supersport. Does anyone know the best arrangement for the keel rollers especially them to help center the boat during loading? I have seen the roller with a right and left helix that meet in the center of the roller to help move the keel to center. How much does the outer roller help or is it best to have guide bunk / side rollers? The rollers are not wobble rollers and a concern if they do not even out flat to the aluminum. I really need some suggestions. Thanks to all!

dozerII

Admiral

I put the self centering Stoltz rollers under the SS and they work great. I still put on a set of guide-on posts, they just plain make it easier to load the boat.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I put the self centering Stoltz rollers under the SS and they work great. I still put on a set of guide-on posts, they just plain make it easier to load the boat.

Warning: those Stoltz rollers are are priced for the rich and famous!

Guide On's are a must have in my book;)

spinnerbaits

Cadet

About trailer style of the StarCraft 22'. Mine came with a roller and I picked up a Calkins which fits my boat perfectly. The reason for this note is to let ready know that I have been told rollers are not supposed to be used on riveted hulls. I have been told that the rollers cause the rivets to pop and the aluminum to wrinkle. An old timer on west side of Michigan that restores old boat was telling me this and I also learned from a marina owner on the eastside that StarCraft would not warranty the hull if rollers instead of bunks were used. Man I am glad to learn of this now because next week I was going to have the Calkins blasted for paint.

airshot

Rear Admiral

That roller info is interesting...I have a 22' islander (1983) that has spent its entire life on a roller trailer (magliner) and has not damaged a rivet nor does it have any deformaties in the aluminium skin. My boat is the lapstrake side version, but the roller trailer has not caused me any problems. In the original paperwork (previous owners) nothing is noted about warranty problem with a roller trailer as it was purchased from a starcraft dealer. Perhaps it pertains to the quality of the roller trailer mabey????

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

There's been plenty of tinnies on roller trailers without issue.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

I've heard that roller argument before, but I'd have to disagree with your info Spinner. Mine spent 32 years on rollers with no ill-effects. I can say though my rollers sit right where there is a cross rib on the inside and they straddle the outside strake. Also with the Calkins setup there are many keel rollers, which a lot of other brand roller trailers don't have. Also about the Calkins, every roller self adjusts...all the weight is spread evenly among ALL rollers, everything pivots. They really are a well designed trailer IMHO. I'm keeping mine for sure. Every boat I've loaded onto a bunk trailer was a pain in the ***** to get on level. All the ramps here prohibit "driving on", so with a bunk it seems you're either to shallow (and can't winch it up), or too deep (back is still floating and wandering back and forth). A lot of the time with a roller trailer you don't even have to get your feet wet! And it centers up, every time!

64osby

Admiral

The 1973 Mariner 21'er has a 32 roller Shorelin'r. Works just as dj described. It's been a trailer boat it's entire life. No bad rivets, no hook, no dents, no leaks. Never been renovated.

A trailer w/ too few rollers may/will cause the issues that you have been told about.