Starcraft restoration/rebuild project

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Starcraft restoration/rebuild project

Checked the pics. Looks pretty much every other one I've seen. No surprises under there!

ryand895

Seaman Apprentice

Don't know which I am slower at: making progress on the boat or updating my thread.

I am finally starting to feel like I am getting somewhere. I have stripped all the paint, removed all the interior and cleaned everything. I also removed the transom, built a new one 1 1/2" ply (2 layers of 3/4 marine grade bonded together and sealed with epoxy resin) and reinstalled the transom. I also added some reinforcement to the transom (1/4 aluminum plate on outside and 1/8 aluminum plate on inside,) repaired the cracked support, patched the crack in the bow at the tie down point, patched the old forward fuel vent hole, and filled all other holes with pounded solid rivets.

After all the patchwork, I applied sealant, then zinc chromate primed inside and out and painted. After priming the hull and the stringers separately, I reinstalled the stringers.

I have also cut and fit all new floorboards. They are sitting in the garage ready to be sealed.

I have also built new consoles and bow bench seats. I still have to cut holes for storage access, make doors and then make/have made some cushions and seat covers.

New pics have been added to my photobucket, see here:

http://s922.photobucket.com/albums/ad66/Ryand895/72 Starcraft restoration/Latest pics of boat/

Any comments/ideas/gripes accepted.

My last comment is that this 95+ degree weather has the lake calling, and getting louder everytime the sun comes up and I punch the clock at work :(

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Looking real good. Nice work on the paint job and the transom.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Looking very nice. Yes your progress is running about the same speed (maybe faster) then the rest of us ;)

ryand895

Seaman Apprentice

Picked up a 82 Mercury 7.5 engine today. Don't know if it can be resurected, but if it can, it will mount nicely on the kicker mount. Should make trolling slower and quieter than the big 150.

The price was right, ($0), so I just couldn't say no.

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Like the paint job, wish I would of painted all of my interior instead of just what show's, sure it adds another layer or two of protection which can never be a bad thing in my book. Here's hoping for the best on your kicker! :cool:

ryand895

Seaman Apprentice

Installed the foam today. Had a lot of help from the kids. They had fun snapping the foam after I scored it. They thought it was great to break daddy's things (without getting in trouble). Also threw the floor in to figure out where to mount the seat pedestal bases. After getting the floor in, I modified the old bow cover to make gunwale tops for the bow section. I will post some pics of this as soon as I get the bends in.

Tomorrows plan is to add backer boards under the floor at the seat base locations and then seal the floor with resin.

Rivets are on back-order (should arrive on Tuesday) and then we will get the floor riveted in.

I am starting to see a small light at the end of the restor tunnel:). Can't wait till the day I get to stick the registration decals on, fire up the engine and head for my fishing spot. Summers going by faster than I am getting work done. My winter project is setting me up with a great fishing boat for the 2011 season:mad:

ryand895

Seaman Apprentice

The floors are sealed and installed. I have also installed the carpet, front storage boxes/seat, both consoles, the pedestal seat sockets. Friday, I installed the gunwale caps.

I am now ready to install the gunwale cap around the bow and then install the splashwell. Then I have a few spots to finish up the painting.

Hopefully in a week or two, I will be water ready.

ryand895

Seaman Apprentice

It's been a long time since I've updated.

I haven't been making much progress. The work schedule has been totally crazy for the last couple of months now. I have been getting little by little done though.

I have the windshield installed, and am working on wiring and installing side panels. I added a couple of running lights above the side storage areas. These lights point toward the transom. I plan on doing a good share of night fishing, so they will get some good use. I also had some seat pedestals built. This allows easy removal of the seats and also gives me some options of where to place seats while on the water.

My last post said that I would be water ready in a couple of weeks. Now I am 3 months past that and still not water ready. My wife is well past ready to get the garage back for her car. I don't like scraping snow/ice off of windshields, but she really HATES it.

I guess I should get to work and see what else I can get done.

I will try to post some new pictures tomorrow.

ryand895

Seaman Apprentice

FINALLY---BOAT IS READY TO SPLASH!!!
Resealed and serviced the lower unit today. Moved to boat to the driveway and ran the engine for about 15 minutes, just to make sure she would start. Now boat is in the garage, life jackets, paddles, fire extinguishers all loaded and ready to go. Wheel bearing greased, lights checked and battery on the charger.

Bad news, Snow in forcast for tomorrow. Guess I will have to wait a week for the sun to shine :(

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Awesome! Be sure to get some photos of your float!

ryand895

Seaman Apprentice

The weather man was a bit wrong. The sky was mostly blue this morning, so to the lake I went. First runs were pretty good. Only a couple of issues to get worked out. The tachometer wasn't working, neither was the trim indicator. All the water stayed on the outside, she gets up on plane well. Maxed out at 38 MPH. Engine wasn't wrapping out, I knew that I was going to have to replace the prop. Didn't do too well for pictures, due to the fact that I was driving. Pics are on photobucket. My son was happy to jump behind the wheel.

http://s922.photobucket.com/albums/ad66/Ryand895/

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Glad you got out. Yeah you need some work. You should haulin' much more butt than 38MPH with that 150.

ryand895

Seaman Apprentice

Well, the Mercury 7.5 runs. I followed the recommendations in "Waking a Sleeping Outboard" Two pulls of the start rope and she fired right up. The best that I can figure, it hasn't been run in at least 7 years. I was surprised and very happy.

ryand895

Seaman Apprentice

I am finally calling my project finished and moving this thread to the finished projects area. I will try to add more pictures on the water as I get them.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Finished!!?? Let's see the rest of the project! I can't see it man!