Starcraft Islander: removing paded side panels

dmorley

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Does anybody know how to remove the paded side panels that run between the rear seat and front seat on a Starcraft Islander? Mine need the vinl replaced in a bad way.

MIKE F

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Starcraft Islander: removing paded side panels

Those panels most likely are held in place by studs with nuts securing them to the sides. You should be able to get in there and feel around for them. A 7/16" wrench or something close to that size should be all you need. ;)

dmorley

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Mike,<br />I've tried that. I can see screws coming out of the sheet metal and the heads of those screws are behind the padding, but there is now way to get to them except to cut through the padding. It's got me stumpted.

MIKE F

Petty Officer 1st Class

There aren't any nuts holding the panels in place? Are they just wedged in there? Have you tried pulling them out? :confused:

dmorley

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Mike I've tried pulling them out, but something is holding them. However, it occured to me there might be clips and by striking upward with a hammer on the boards might pop them loose. I'll try that as soon as this blizzard passes.

Lark40

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Let us know how you get them off.<br /><br />Probably will have to do the same sometime soon.

MIKE F

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is there any way of getting a flashlight and mirror in there to see what you have?

dmorley

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Mike,<br />I can see the screws -- I just can't figure out how to get them out. It's hard to explain, but the rear sides of a Starcraft Islander are a "partial" four inch wide double wall construction. I said partial because there is a big cut out for rod storage. If one lays on their back and sticks their head in the rod area you can see the POINTS of the metal screws coming through the inside wall. This puts the heads of the screws facing the inside of the boat and behind the vinyl padding on the side boards. Given that there are no holes in the vinyl the riddle is, "How did they get the screws in?" At any rate we are in the middle of a blizzard and it will be a couple of days before I can screw with it. I'll let everybody know when I figure it out unless somebody let's us know first.

gewf631

Chief Petty Officer

I've got a mid-70's Starcraft as well, and just re-did the original upholstery on the padded rail in front of the outboard. It was held-in with a couple of screws from the back-side, as well as a couple of posts with nuts (which sound like your "screws")<br /><br />My padded side panels look like they're held-in with large 'pop' rivets, but haven't tackled this project yet.<br /><br />Hope this helps!

dmorley

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hi Ed,<br />On my boat what is poking through are stainless steel sheet metal screws--they are not the kind that could have a nut on them. Thanks for trying to help.

gewf631

Chief Petty Officer

Don,<br /> If you need the vinyl replaced, why not just slice through it and unscrew the fasteners? Even if you have to slice through the padding as well, you'll never notice a clean slice once you put-on new vinyl.<br /><br /> You can always come-up with a way to fasten the panels later (like using a screw/nut combination).

dmorley

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ed,<br />If I can't figure out a better way then I'll do what you said and cut the vinyl.<br />Don

MIKE F

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don,<br />Did you get those panels off, or at least figure out how to get them off?

Throbbin Rods

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sometimes these have a button in the vinyl. The screw head is usually under the button, which pops off rather like a snap.