Starcraft Holiday Reno and Hull Repair

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant
It is a great thread.
While his finish choices and style aren't mine (not a criticism) his workmanship plus the very well thought out placement and function of things is inspiring.
I have a Holiday 18 outboard currently gutted out to the bare metal, stored inside awaiting spring warmth so I can air-hammer-peen a number of loose rivets with a helper holding s buck, and replace another dozen or so.
Cabin planned- would love to know if grandad's ok, and see pictures of his planned enclosed cockpit if he was able to complete further. No news since 14...Hope all is well with or without updates.

jbcurt00

Staff member
He posted yesterday

No update on his health

I sent him a PM and ask you to do the same fellas

As Mark noted its been since 2014, so lets let this topic be inactive until GD revisits it. Thank you

Continued good thoughts headed your way

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
Hi guys. Thanks for showing interest in my project and my health. I would prefer not to dwell on my health in this thread and I don't want a pity party, but since the topic is opened, perhaps I'll explain a little bit. During the summer of 2013 as I was getting this project near completion, I was finally diagnosed after 5 years of investigation as having a muscle wasting disease called Inclusion Body Myositis. It is slowly progressive, currently incurable but not fatal. It affects certain muscle groups and not others. I have extreme weakness in my quadriceps. I'm able to walk unassisted, but prone to falling and can't get myself up again without a stairway to climb or descend. Rising from a chair (or toilet) has been challenging, compounded lately with loss of strength in my arms and hands. Needless to say, clambering into and out of a boat can be troublesome and I got out in the boat only twice in 2015. I may decide to sell the boat this Spring, but it's hard to part with it.

I would love to talk about my project or about yours, but let's not dwell on my health issues in this forum. Mark, in regard to progress, I really haven't gone any further with the cockpit enclosure. I intended to eventually complete the canvas with large side windows and use the boat for overnight trips through some of the canal systems but I'm afraid my body is a few years past its "best before date" and that won't likely happen now. OK, that said, let's talk about boat stuff instead.
- Grandad

dozerII

Admiral
Glad to see you back on your thread GD. Here's hoping your health holds out and you can continue to use your great S/C.

dpotter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for the Update Grandad. We look forward to your assistance on our projects. Your vision and workmanship on your restores has been outstanding and serves as an inspiration to those of us new to this. I look forward to better weather to get more done on my project. I am under cover and doing what I can when it's warm enough. Still in the demolition phase. I'm collecting items in anticipation of the rebuild.

sprintst

Commander
Every other athlete these days have been abusing steroids for years. Yours would be a legitimate use to get all roided up and back on the forum. How are people supposed to steal your ideas huh? :) Take care of yourself first and enjoy that boat on the water.

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
Every other athlete these days have been abusing steroids for years. Yours would be a legitimate use to get all roided up and back on the forum. How are people supposed to steal your ideas huh? :) Take care of yourself first and enjoy that boat on the water.

Hey sprinst. The only 'roids I'm like to get these days won't likely help me to stand (and especially not to sit). :D - Grandad

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Hey Grandad;

Just pop in when you and take care. You have plenty of good advice scattered through the forum. Hope you can get out and enjoy all your hard work more often. I'm sure your boat is quite an impressive out on the water. :thumb:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Take care of yourself Grandad. Theres a whole new cropnof SC guys building big SCs that'll be looking in on your ideas posted here.

Keep us up to date on whats up w you and that SOTY award winning boat :becky:

sprintst

Commander
Phrasing. All roided up can mean something else. Eating a whole wheel of cheese at once would do that too :)

Hey sprinst. The only 'roids I'm like to get these days won't likely help me to stand (and especially not to sit). :D - Grandad