Starcraft Facelift

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Okay guys, so I finally finished up the boat I just WANTED OUT OF THE YARD!!!!! Now its time to get on my keeper. Not so much a restore, but just a facelift. Thanks to guys like Texas, SteeleSpike, Faztbullet, Ed Mckelvey, Merc 850 and many of you other guys, the Merc 650 on the back is running like a champ. 45 years old and still gunning it! So now that the motor is in business, time to look at the hull. It is a 1986 Starcraft Fishmaster 16'

P3191009.jpg

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Re: Starcraft Facelift

P4081112.jpg

P4081113.jpg

Floors are in good structural shape. They feel really solid. Only thing I am a little skeptical about is the middle floor piece. Guy before me just polyeurethaned the heck out of a piece of regular plywood and put the floor down. I guess he knew that PT was bad in aluminum and didnt want to go for the real stuff. Floor board is dry, no rot, and looks good though. I do want to get on the water soon. I am contemplating resealing it and laying carpet. Then this winter, I will pull the floors up and gluvit the bottom, and put in fresh marine grade, so dont hate on me too bad guys.:redface:

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Dude! That boat looks like Rosie O' Donnel, if you rush through it... it's going to look like Rosie O'Donnel with makeup on
barf.gif

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Ummmm. Okay. Function, not fashion. Anyways, yeah the P.O. really did a hackjob on her. But I am not rushing through it, just want to get on the water. It doesnt leak, and runs great. I want to take out all the unnecessary hardware in the boat, fill the holes, paint the inside, revinyl the console, carpet the front deck, the rails, and the floor. When I pull the motor this winter to put on my CMC PT&T, I will be stripping the floors, gluvit the bottom, and paint the outside of the boat. And I like my boat BTW.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Ummmm. Okay. Function, not fashion. Anyways, yeah the P.O. really did a hackjob on her. But I am not rushing through it, just want to get on the water. It doesnt leak, and runs great. I want to take out all the unnecessary hardware in the boat, fill the holes, paint the inside, revinyl the console, carpet the front deck, the rails, and the floor. When I pull the motor this winter to put on my CMC PT&T, I will be stripping the floors, gluvit the bottom, and paint the outside of the boat. And I like my boat BTW.

I like your boat too, and it has the potential to be a Salma Hayek. I just can't see putting down new carpet just to rip it up in a few months. Whenever I do something like that I keep putting off redoing it and it takes me forever to get back around to doing it right, so now I just do it right the first time and I'm done with it.

I really don't think it would take that much longer to do everything now

sutor623

Rear Admiral

I love pix of a good ole Merc Cylops peeking over the transom, underway or not! Makes me smile:D

Good luck getting out there sooner then later.....

Thanks man!! She is running great. I replaced starter, solenoid, trigger, stator, rectifier, fuel pumps, carbs, fuel lines, revamped all the wiring, waterpump and timing belt. I wanted to make darn sure I wasnt getting stranded on the water by her again!!

And @ Jigngrub, I totally agree bro. Do it right. Only prob is that I have been working on this motor, and another boat since September of last year. I am tired of spending all of my free time working on boats, and ready to start fishing again. Spring always comes quicker than I am ready for!! Another issue is that I have all the glue, paint, carpet and all that jazz, but I have run out of money for right now. I will be safe on the water the way she sets, so Im going to give the interior a facelift. I have to drill rivets and pull the floatation boxes on the inside of the boat out to get the floors out, so I am going to hold off on that until I am ready to pull the motor, add a PT&T, and paint the outside. I dont mind pulling up the $60 in carpet in 6 months. : )

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Alright guys, update. I got a TON of work done this week. It was beautiful out. Looks like Ill be back on the water in about 3 weeks or so.
P4131116.jpg

P4141119.jpg

Carpet on the rails.
P4141120.jpg

P4141124.jpg

P4141123.jpg

sutor623

Rear Admiral

I am working on re-vinyling the console right now. Contact cement is not my fav. :facepalm:

Wife cleaning the floor for carpet. :)
P4151125.jpg

P4151126.jpg

P4151128.jpg

P4151127.jpg

sutor623

Rear Admiral

P4151131.jpg

P4151133.jpg

P4151132.jpg

And now with the front deck installed. Should be a great fishing podium!!
P4151136.jpg

P4151137.jpg

boatmaster09

Seaman Apprentice

Hey Pete, looking pretty good so far. Keep bringing the pics!!

Cody

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Thanks man. I've been doing it mainly to keep my wife happy. I have NO leaks, and got the motor running like a top (after it stranded me) so the boat is safe and reliable at this point. I just want to cruise and fish. Everytime she got on the boat with me she'd say something like "wow that console is dirty, or man you should really change the carpet on these rails." I literally JUST FINISHED an older boat that I wanted out of my yard, so I really wasnt looking forward to doing this now, but Im glad I have at this point.

When winter rolls around Im going to pull the motor and add a Power Trim, and that will be a perfect time to paint the outside. Just want to get on the water right now though. I hear it has been a great fishing season thus far. (I wouldnt know :( )

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Do you guys like the CMC power trim units? I have an original Merc PT motor, but do not have the transom mount or pistons. I am thinking that a new CMC would be a better alternative than trying to revive an older motor, and rebuilding the pistons that I do not own yet.What do you guys think?

boatmaster09

Seaman Apprentice

I've been doing it mainly to keep my wife happy.:( )

Pete, aint it funny how that happens. The day we bought our boat, we went and bought some stuff for it since we knew it needed work. So I was only worried about certain things, my wife wanted to buy everything all at once. After buying what I had thought was EVERYTHING, along the way realized there was more that I needed. Now trying to squeeze the money for the rest of the parts out of her, is like trying to squeeze juice from a dried up lemon. LMAO!!! Any how like I said before your boat is looking great, keep the pics comming. In the meantime take a peak at my thread and let me know what you think.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=539233[/URL]

Cody

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Do you guys like the CMC power trim units? I have an original Merc PT motor, but do not have the transom mount or pistons. I am thinking that a new CMC would be a better alternative than trying to revive an older motor, and rebuilding the pistons that I do not own yet.What do you guys think?

No personal experience but I haven't heard anything bad about them. Nice thing with one of those is if you ever get a newer motor with TnT, you can sell the CMC unit for close to what you paid for it.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

No personal experience but I haven't heard anything bad about them. Nice thing with one of those is if you ever get a newer motor with TnT, you can sell the CMC unit for close to what you paid for it.

Agreed! I'd like to obtain optimum trim on this boat, and not have to pull a groin when I enter shallow waters. :) My boat drafts 8" and the motor dips down over a foot.