Starcraft; 1971 V-Offshore

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander
Finally starting a restoration on the Starcraft I bought in January. It is an 18 1/2' Offshore-V, with a 3.0 Mercruiser I/O. It was covered in 2 feet of snow then, so I don't know what I have yet. I hope the motor is not cracked from improper winterizing.

I took the cover off and started nosing around. I'll post some pictures from when I brought her home. I was thinking a light resto and I'll be on the water. Time will tell as I start trying to start up the motor.

I have never owned a boat over 12' before and have no idea how to work on an I/O. I have a hotrodders background and am pretty good a fab work though.

I will be relying on the generosity of the great and wonderful guys in the Starcraft forum to help me. Of whom I've never given a hard time to or made fun of and have always greatly respected.:D:eek::D

North Beach

Commander
Re: Starcraft; 1971 V-Offshore

OK Don, I'll throw the first picture up for ya!

71OffshoreV.jpg

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

I'll post a bunch of pictures tomorrow. I have found traces of the Avocado color underneath the current paint. Also some bits and pieces of trim under the now blue interior. Yep that's my boat all right.

I have the 140 hp motor and can't wait to put her through the paces. Now that it has warmed up finally I'm very motivated.

I am going to need a lot of help on the I/O. it's totally foreign to me:confused:. I am wishing I had got an outboard boat now. I hope that changes when I get her running.

Thanks for the picture Grand Pooba.:D

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

OK, took the cover off and here are some pic's. Inside is much worse than I had imagined. The gas tank is rotted through from the bottom. It also took the floor out in that spot. I think the carpet is what did it. Obviously the boat spent a lot of time out of doors uncovered). Hoses are brittle and wires are really old. Anything rubber needs to be replaced.

I was hoping to splash in 2 weeks for the opening of bass catch & release season on St. Clair. Doesn't look good, and I'm a little depressed.

The wiring is an absolute rat's nest. I could go on but as they say a pictures worth..................

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

Hey - nice find. My step-father had a '71 or '72 with an I/O but closed deck. (Sorry, don't know the model - I'm sure one of the SC gurus could guess).

Anyway, he had it up until last summer and I got to use it a fair bit. What I loved about that boat was how quiet that little 3.0 motor was. The boat just skipped along with this sewing machine-like hum eminating from the back. I'm really sorry he sold it.

Have fun and keep posting those pics!

*Edit* - found a pic of the boy and me heading out of Parry Sound making for Bear's Head in the old girl. I love the grin on his face (first time at the helm and so makes 3 generations of our extended family commanding that great boat).

I should have stepped up and rescued her but didn't so take heart - you are doing important work and will get through it.

starcraftbuddies.jpg

anyway, sorry to hijack!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Hey Don, it's about time man! Shoot, it actually had to break 80 deg to get ya moving!:D

Your hull looks like it's in super great shape and I really like your gauges and throttle control. The rest - ah lets just say I am excited to see what you make of it. Tell ya what it's not any worse that what I started with partner. Have fun!

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

I was in a holding pattern until I got the title. That messed me up, I was afraid to put any time or money into it.

Now that it's 80 out, ya I got my motivation. I am looking at a complete rewire job here. Hillbilly rats must have practiced on the wiring. The wires are also brittle. I am going to bite the bullet and redo it all. Oh yea no keys with the boat either..

Iboats dropped a care package off to me. A new three position ignition switch and a wench er I mean winch. Don't need that kind of trouble. Like I always say one woman is 1/2 too many.

My brother is the Picasso of wiring. He is a car designer, a very particular designer. He is going through all the wiring, making a new harness:D. It's going into plastic split conduit like a car. I'm lucky, me and electricity are not on a first name basis.

Bad news is this could take a bit. It's much needed though.

sprintst

Commander

Nice score.

I didn't keep anything original made of wood. Yours will make nice templates to redo in marine plywood. That alone will be a big time saver.

If she fires right up after the rewiring, with some fluid changes and if the transom is solid then you can still make it out fishing. My wiring is functional and looks to be close to the same shape. I'll need to redo all of mine too.

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Scoutabout, I'm sure glad to hear something good about the I/O. I question whether I made the right choice sometimes. An outboard might have been easier. I think I'll be happier with the 3.0 when it's all done though.

Closed bow was probably a Holiday. Nice boats too.

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Question; Did these old Starcrafts I/O's have a fuse-block in them? I can't find anything like that on mine!

If so where would it be located?

Thanks

Don

North Beach

Commander

Don, the 110 hp had one on the transom and one under the dash. And as far as that wiring in the back, I re-did most of mine and it still looks like crap! Way too many split offs to make it look all OCD like I tend to do stuff.

It's really not gonna be as bad as you think. And you really should check these folks out if you're gonna do a total re-wire

http://www.painlessperformance.com/

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Prefab harness looks like an easier route NB. I don't see where painless does marine applications though. I'll email them, they are a great company.

Found this;
http://www.ezacdc.com/Scripts/default.asp

I'll keep looking and talk it over with Picasso and get his feel for this. He's the one doing it, so I'll give him whatever he wants. I'm more at home with the mechanical or fab work than electrical.

Well this sets me back a few weeks. I have a sneaking suspicion I'll repeat those words.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Hey Bwana...
Great looking boat, don't be so down on the I/O yet...give it a chance, but I know how you feel..trust me.
Heres some info for Picasso..And you are right on Scout-a-bouts boat, it was a Holiday..(he posted in my thread a long time ago )

Wiring Colors for MerCruiser
BIA COLOR CODE AND ABBREVIATIONS WHERE USED
BLACK (BLK) All Grounds
BROWN (BRN) Reference Electrode-MerCathode
ORANGE (ORN) Anode Electrode-MerCathode
LIGHT BLUE/WHITE (LIT BLU / WHT) Trim- ?Up? Switch
GRAY (GRY) Tachometer Signal
GREEN/WHITE (GRN / WHT) Trim -?Down? Switch
TAN (TAN) Water Temperature Sender to Gauge
LIGHT BLUE (LIT BLU) Oil Pressure Sender to Gauge
PINK (PNK) Fuel Gauge Sender to Gauge
BROWN/WHITE (BRN / WHT) Trim Sender to Trim Gauge
PURPLE/WHITE (PUR / WHT) Trim-?Trailer? Switch
RED (RED) Unprotected Wires from Battery
RED/PURPLE (RED / PUR) Protected (Fused) Wires from Battery
RED/PURPLE (RED / PUR) Protected (+12V) to Trim Panel
ORANGE (ORN) Alternator Output
PURPLE/YELLOW (PUR / YEL) Ballast Bypass
PURPLE (PUR) Ignition Switch (+12 V)
YELLOW/RED (YEL / RED) Starter Switch to Starter Solenoid to Neutral Start

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

I know in my heart the I/O was the right choice for me. If I can get through this electrical and get it done right, it'll be a big step forward.

The motor does not intimidate me, the outdrive is a little scary though. One thing at a time.

I think I'll head to the electrical forum and start asking questions. As always any advice is appreciated and valued.

Thanks for the color combo's CBK.

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Hey Don, glad to see you got your thread going...I expect some trial runs this summer against you...Outboard vs I/O ;) of course you'll need 4 passengers to offset my big ol butt so our weights will be about equal lol

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

HSF will do, if I live through this re-wire that is. Not a single fuse in the whole boat.:eek: No wonder there were three fire extinguishers in the boat. I wonder if they're still full!

I bought two electrical books at half.com Understanding boat wiring & Boat Owners Mechanical and Electrical Manual.

I did find a 1971 boat owners manual here and downloaded it. So helpful, I think Appaloosa offered it for download, many thanks.

Time to order wire and a fuse box, a 12 fuser.

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

I picked up a 1955 Johnson 10 horsie in early March to use as my kicker. Wanted something with a little charm to go on the back of the old girl.

DSC00042.jpg

Made the outboard stand to hold it. I need to tear this down and paint it, replace the gaskets, add a fuel pump etc... It has spark and compression!

Here it is on the kicker bracket. Which by the way is rotted and rusted. I'll use it as a pattern and fab up a new one.
015.jpg

Still sorting out the wiring. I'm getting ready to order a bunch of stuff, wire, fuse block, terminals and so forth. One maybe two weeks I'll be done with that.

Kenny; HALF.COM sells used books. You can get them real cheap, and I'm, well you know on a budget.