Starcraft 1971'? 16' to Duck Boat Rebuild

danimal045

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello All,

Found your sight as well as a few others that I think are going to be very helpful with my new project. I am picking up a Starcraft 1971 Model Unknown on Sunday w an HIN919886.

I plan on gutting it and rebuilding it, changing the layout a bit, repainting it and using for duck hunting and fishing the lakes and rivers around my home In Beaver, PA. This will be my first boat, and I am pretty excited about the undertaking, would like to have her ready to go by September. we will see.

Can anyone help me with identification of the model and HP rating? Attached are the only pics I have until I pick it up.

was thinking it may be or a Mariner or an SS?

sc2.jpgsc3.jpgsc4.jpgsc6.jpg Any info is appreciated!

-Dan

SHSU

Lieutenant Junior+Starmada Splash Of The Year 2019
Doesn't look like a Super Sport. Splashwell and bow rise don't look right. That being said, my SS16 is rated for 90 HP. Any pictures of your knee brace?

SHSU

danimal045

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Doesn't look like a Super Sport. Splashwell and bow rise don't look right. That being said, my SS16 is rated for 90 HP. Any pictures of your knee brace?

SHSU
No, I dont get it till sunday, and I'll post whatever pics you like! could they be wrong on the model year and it is a late 70's kingfisher? found a few pics and the layout looks the closest as i've seen yet

Moserkr

Chief Officer + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2021
Good looking starcraft!! I hear those side emblems scare ducks away. Send em my way and Ill dispose of them properly for you… 😏. You found THE site for starcraft boats here. A september due date shouldn't be too hard to do if you have the time to throw at it. Id guess you want it ready for hunting season?

I wanted to make a flat decked duck boat with a blind but it wasnt too family friendly, Admiral had other thoughts lol. Agree with @SHSU that the splahwell/transom looks different. On the 160ss they were not flat all the way across like that. 15hp motor looks like a 20” shaft so that would make the depth of your hull lower than a 160ss too, even though to me they look identical. Your console looks shorter too - my knees can fit under mine. How long is your motor shaft? Id guess the hp rating is lower than 90hp but im not the expert here.

Curious to see what boat you found cause its not typical from what Ive seen. Welcome!! Post up more pics when you get her.

Emerger

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello All,

Found your sight as well as a few others that I think are going to be very helpful with my new project. I am picking up a Starcraft 1971 Model Unknown on Sunday w an HIN919886.

I plan on gutting it and rebuilding it, changing the layout a bit, repainting it and using for duck hunting and fishing the lakes and rivers around my home In Beaver, PA. This will be my first boat, and I am pretty excited about the undertaking, would like to have her ready to go by September. we will see.

Can anyone help me with identification of the model and HP rating? Attached are the only pics I have until I pick it up.

was thinking it may be or a Mariner or an SS?

View attachment 356040View attachment 356041View attachment 356042View attachment 356043 Any info is appreciated!

-Dan

Congratulations on the new boat!

There is a website I'll link to that can help decipher your HIN and maybe give you a model. I tried to run the one you posted but it pops up as invalid. It doesn't seem to be in proper form. Make sure you have the correct HIN or the DMV will have you jumping through hoops for the rest of your life to register it. This decoder isn't the be-all end-all but it can get you started. The website is here:

On the starboard side of the transom there should be an aluminum plate with the HIN on it. Here is an example of one:

Attachments

• STARCRAFT HIN.png
    STARCRAFT HIN.png
    404.3 KB · Views: 4

jbcurt00

Staff member
@Emerger its a 1971, no HIN plate to find or decode. The Ser# he posted is all there is and it doesnt really decode, not that HINs decode much anyway. Year and maker only typically.

@danimal045 looks like it has PT decking in it, remove w extreme prejudice, asap if it is. Looks unsealed & weathered anyway, gotta go...

Last edited:

danimal045

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Good looking starcraft!! I hear those side emblems scare ducks away. Send em my way and Ill dispose of them properly for you… 😏. You found THE site for starcraft boats here. A september due date shouldn't be too hard to do if you have the time to throw at it. Id guess you want it ready for hunting season?

I wanted to make a flat decked duck boat with a blind but it wasnt too family friendly, Admiral had other thoughts lol. Agree with @SHSU that the splahwell/transom looks different. On the 160ss they were not flat all the way across like that. 15hp motor looks like a 20” shaft so that would make the depth of your hull lower than a 160ss too, even though to me they look identical. Your console looks shorter too - my knees can fit under mine. How long is your motor shaft? Id guess the hp rating is lower than 90hp but im not the expert here.

Curious to see what boat you found cause its not typical from what Ive seen. Welcome!! Post up more pics when you get her.
Thank you, I am very excited. I get after the birds pretty hard and usually use a yak, but I have a lot of under utilized rivers around me I want to run for ducks and cobra chickens, that's why I wanted a V Hull to rebuild and learn the workings off, as I have never owned a real boat. Thought this would be a good all around size, shouldn't draft too much, and a client just replaced their 2005 boats Johnson 50hp with a Yamaha 110hp, and told me I can have it below what the marina offers them. i think that comboed with the 15hp and trolling mower will be perfect for HP restricted lakes, rivers, and some of the bigger lakes around me. The PO also has a 9.9hp w a busted gear from his son throwing it into reverse while moving fast I can have. I have a whole "budget" wish list for this build depending upon what I uncover in the initial stripping. I'm sure i am going to annoy all of you with questions.

I think I want to build a back bench with a couple lids and have the gas hidden, 2 batteries for plenty of interior and exterior lighting, spud poles, I know the duck purists all love tilers but i think i wanna keep SC and keep it towards the bow or minimalize it and move it all the way back so I can sit on the box, and halfway raised up the hull platform in the front w some storage underneath. Those are my initial thoughts, im sure that will all change lol. I have been looking for inspiration, and there is some, not alot, obviously the most popular conversion to a hunting/fishing rig is a jon.

I have been looking at all the other build threads, so I will try to not be redundant. Try. haha.

danimal045

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Congratulations on the new boat!

There is a website I'll link to that can help decipher your HIN and maybe give you a model. I tried to run the one you posted but it pops up as invalid. It doesn't seem to be in proper form. Make sure you have the correct HIN or the DMV will have you jumping through hoops for the rest of your life to register it. This decoder isn't the be-all end-all but it can get you started. The website is here:

On the starboard side of the transom there should be an aluminum plate with the HIN on it. Here is an example of one:
Ill go through it pretty good and see what I can find sunday/monday. I'm off for GW's Bday monday, so after I do a few hours of painting my daughters room I can prob spend most they day tearing it apart, unless I get a call the geese are back in the corn lol.

The boat is already titled as well as trailer in my state, so i don't think its gonna be an issue, more of I wanted to know what specific model to look for inspiration and specific questions, although I am sure there is a ton of overlap in the overall construction and a lot of variation in the diff model floor layouts, but we will see. This is a learning experience for me.

I plan on using aluminum, so I am currently amassing a list of tools I need to buy for cutting and rivet work.

danimal045

Petty Officer 3rd Class
@Emerger its a 1971, no HIN plate to find or decode. The Ser# he posted is all there is and it doesnt really decode, not that HINs decode much anyway. Year and maker only typically.

@danimal045 looks like it has PT decking in it, remove w extreme prejudice, asap if it is. Looks unsealed & weathered anyway, gotta go...
The story I got from the PO is he has had it since 2007 (also what the title says) was in good shape when he got it and always garage kept, his boys grew up and he used it less and less, last time it was in the water was 2019. No leaks or issues he knows of, transom is in good shape, hull has a few scratches were there was a trailering mishap. 15hp is being run on a tiller, all steering controls are still on boat. 3 yrs ago he took it to his FIL's cabin on a lake bc he wanted to use it, and he never did. So the 15hp isn't running currently, although the PO said it ran like a top when he put it in his FIL's garage. I have a boat savvy friend who think is it probably needs an impeller and tune up, but once again this is all speculation, as I have to drive 2.5hrs to see/get it. he was supposed to go with me, but its now looking like a solo journey... says trailer was serviced and lights were all redone as well as that decking supposedly is marine grade and not very old, but yes I was planning on losing it, keeping it for a template hopefully.

Once I take possession I'll start a thread for the break down and build as well as my wish list and get all of your feedback, as I know nothing. I am fairly handy, and have found with youtube and a can do attitude I can usually limp by.

-Dan

DLNorth

Chief Petty Officer
That is a SN, not HIN, and it falls on my list as a '70, my guess is a Seafarer, either 14 or 16
or it could also be a mariner-V or Star trek-V-

BTW - I just looked at the '71 catalog, the molded "Starcraft" attached to the rear sides has a solid black background, different then the black letters of the '70 version's. It matches the '67 molding.

Attachments

• page21_3974938463_o.jpg
    page21_3974938463_o.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 16
  • page22_3975700396_o.jpg
    page22_3975700396_o.jpg
    351 KB · Views: 16
  • page20_3975699550_o.jpg
    page20_3975699550_o.jpg
    291.4 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

danimal045

Petty Officer 3rd Class
That is a SN, not HIN, and it falls on my list as a '70, my guess is a Seafarer, either 14 or 16
or it could also be a mariner-V or Star trek-V-

BTW - I just looked at the '71 catalog, the molded "Starcraft" attached to the rear sides has a solid black background, different then the black letters of the '70 version's. It matches the '67 molding.
Thanks for the info. When I get it tomorrow I can post some more pics and any other identifying characteristics that might help you. just hoping whatever model it is it can handle a 50hp, as i got a great deal on one and really want to use it but do not want to be unsafe.

jbcurt00

Staff member
That's a factory side console, so not an open utility like a seafarers

More pix of the interior sides would be helpful

danimal045

Petty Officer 3rd Class
And the winner issssss…… 16’ Mariner Rated for 45HP87B5AB39-F297-4305-AA5C-A53EACC11F26.jpeg

Attachments

• F321469C-C3DC-411F-AA63-7D4972631FE1.jpeg
    F321469C-C3DC-411F-AA63-7D4972631FE1.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 18
  • 6129A0FC-F4CA-4B73-A3DA-D75EE57A3057.jpeg
    6129A0FC-F4CA-4B73-A3DA-D75EE57A3057.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 20
  • F1D7FFD6-A52B-456B-AB16-B42762BC2784.jpeg
    F1D7FFD6-A52B-456B-AB16-B42762BC2784.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 21
  • 2F68B848-DC74-47F8-858B-643236AEEE55.jpeg
    2F68B848-DC74-47F8-858B-643236AEEE55.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 19
  • 2F38F010-6013-48B0-ACD6-261EDF9B993B.jpeg
    2F38F010-6013-48B0-ACD6-261EDF9B993B.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 18

Moserkr

That is awesome!! Good to know. Might be a contender for a future project for me. Going to make you a fine duck boat when its all said and done.

danimal045

Petty Officer 3rd Class
That is awesome!! Good to know. Might be a contender for a future project for me. Going to make you a fine duck boat when its all said and done.
Thanks guys. Hopefully gonna get the whole things stripped tomorrow. Transom is solid, just has chipping paint. We’ll see how the frame looks tomorrow, fingers crossed.

Should i continue this thread or start a new one for tear down and rebuild process?

Moserkr

Carry on with this thread. Mods can amend the title n such if you want. Looking forward to seeing the plans for it! Id look real hard again at the transom, maybe even pull the wood for good measure. Who knows when or how long ago someone did anything to it. Biggest issue seems to be the transom brace breaking due to a rotten transom, and corrosion behind the transom wood. Thought mine looked good too but it was rotten.

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
Here is a 16ft SS I redid for ducks and fishing. 2 different layouts over time. My Dad did the most recent layout.

I only got 1 actual hunt in before blowing the used motor I picked up, but got my first band ever in that only hunt so I couldn't even be mad.

Moserkr

When I was dreaming of building a duck boat, I figured I would put moveable pedestal seats in with it setup to be able to have 3-4 guys lined up down the middle. Be able to swivel to see both sides, and a fold down blind, holders to rest your gun along the sides in fro t of each seat. Then pick up the seats and put them in a square or balanced pattern for traveling to and from hunting spots. No raised front deck, flat deck from stern to bow and completely open for decoys/gear. Shotgun racks under the gunnels. Tiller would be easier and save space but console is doable. Cant forget a ramp or steps, maybe a hang off the side platform, for the dog! Id prefer a jet pump too on an outboard for the shallow spots ducks love.

Just my .02 haha. Ive kayaked hunted for ducks, before my dog I even swam or used a surfboard to retrieve them. Hunted from sodak to cali and all in between chasing the migration. Boat hunting for them is fun and opens up a ton of opportunity.

Id read over @g0nef1sshn ’s thread since hes been there and done it twice. I looked through a few pics but will have to go through the whole thing.

danimal045

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Here is a 16ft SS I redid for ducks and fishing. 2 different layouts over time. My Dad did the most recent layout.

I only got 1 actual hunt in before blowing the used motor I picked up, but got my first band ever in that only hunt so I couldn't even be mad.

Very nice! I saved your thread, went through a few pages then couldn’t resist to see the finished product. Very nice. I will go back through the thread and start working on the 53 pages lol. Your sanding is top notch.