Stain removal on cushions

JustPhil

Recruit
Hi all:

I have a 2020 21 SSi Ski and Fish.

I took a few kids out fishing last weekend and afterwards I noticed a large number of droplets had made small stains on the cushions. Thought it would be an easy clean up however scrubbing with soap and water did not do it.

I believe the stains are a result of droplets of dye leaking from the braid fishing line they were using.

When I bought the boat the salesman made a point of mentioning that the seats were "Naugahyde". So I went to the Naughahyde website and it told me to use a 10% bleach solution.

That might have faded the spots a bit but only slightly. I expect I will have to live with the spots but thought I would see if anyone has had the same experience and found any solution?

I expect that the bleach has removed some protective coating so plan to hit the cushions with some 203 protectant.

Thanks.

Mcguiver

Cadet
Avoid using anything that has bleach in it, several vinyl repair places told me the reason the stitching failed prematurely on the seat covers was from chemical attacking the thread. There are several "non chlorine" based vinyl cleaners out there but I wouldn't care to recommend any because I don't know the long-term effects on the vinyl or thread.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Try Simple Green cleaner, stuff works great but start out by cutting with water then make it stronger as you try to get the stain out. I normally use a 50/50 mix to start but have used full strength to get reall stubborn stains out

JustPhil

Recruit
Thanks will check Simple Green out. On the bleach issue I only used the recommended 10% solution and kept it away from the threads. Hopefully will be OK.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
If it was blood, hydrogen peroxide works

airshot

Rear Admiral
Back in the day of vinyl roofs on cars, we used a product called D&L hand cleaner with lanolin. This stuff was excellent in getting stains and discoloration off any type of vinyl !! Best part was the lanolin made it soft and plyable so it didnt crack in the winter !!! Did a search for a car guy a couple years back and it was still availiable...If you can find it, you will love it !!!

tpenfield

Staff member
The seats are probably not naugahyde but is sounds like you have done what you can to remove the stains.

There is a 'magic eraser' product for marine use. Maybe something like that used sparingly.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Magic eraser is basically 600 grit sand paper

airshot

Rear Admiral
Just looked up the D&L cleaner, has been taken over by Permatex....Permatex blue label hand cleaner is the old D&L stuff. Wont harm your leather, vinyl, plastic or naugahide material...in fact the lanolin is good for it !!