Stain before epoxy and other q's?

jbjennings

Captain
Guys,
I did a search and couldn't really find my answer, so.......

1. Is there a stain I can use to stain my plywood boat before I apply epoxy resin? I'll be leaving part of the boat unpainted so I can see the wood. I just plan on painting the part below the water line.

2. Should I apply a coat of epoxy, then lay the glass cloth, then another coat of epoxy, and then roll out the bubbles with a roller? Or just lay the glass and paint on the epoxy until it's totally soaked and then roll out the bubbles?

thanks,
JBJennings

drewpster

Commander
Re: Stain before epoxy and other q's?

I am not much help with the furniture in question 1.

Your dead right on the first part of the second question with one caveat. If you are able, it is best to wet the surface first then pre-wet the cloth on a seperate table. Lay the wet cloth on the wet surface and roll out the bubbles. If the pieces are too big to wet out prior to placing them, lay the dry cloth on the wet surface and use a roller, that is wet, but has excess resin sqeezed out of it to wet the cloth out on the surface.
You want a good wet roller to roll the surface and then a drier roller to wet the cloth out on place. Does this make sense? (no need for a seperate roller, just dont load the roller again and use it to wet out the cloth)
The point is to not use too much resin. Some folks even use a plastic spreader to squeeze out the bubbles and excess resin. Resin rich layups build allot of heat and are weaker. Less is more.:cool:

Sean-Nos

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes you can use a water base stain I did on mine then I coated in epoxy and let it cure, washed it and gave it a light sanding then lay the cloth out and wet with another coat,before it set fully I added another.You can put it on wet like drewpster says if the cloth is not to big,I just found it easier to cover the deck in one go as it's very hard to move the cloth when it's wet.
008.jpg

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... You guys have Major Problems in your future,... Epoxy will Not stand up to Sunshine...
It's Not UV protected...

Sean-Nos

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry forgot to say,5 coats of Interlux schooner varnish with a light sanding between each coat the finish with 1000 grit then 1500, then 2000 wet and dry used wet next G3 rubbing compound then wax.