st. Peter's fish.

spratt

Lieutenant
Re: st. Peter's fish.

I have never cared much for freshwater fish, ceptin' catfish, and mostly enjoy salt water fish a great deal. I will certainly buy some Tilapia now and try it out...I like to grill, bake, or deep fry my fish...this will be a new experience.

oddjob

Commander

I fried some fillets w/ cajon fry mix and a louisiana recipe using musturd instead of egg. got the recipes and skills from here in the chat. Was excellent! Its the most inexpensive fish in the stores here.<br /><br />uhh...Shalom!

Drowned Rat

Captain

Tilapia actually make very good pet fish. They are Cichlids same as African Oscar fish and are extremely smart and personable. They will get quite large in the right tank although they are not very colorful. I guess most people like them better with a little butter and lemon. :D

oddjob

Commander

We have oscars down here in the canals and glades. I was told somewhere that it was from South America and the cousin to a peronia (sp). And thats what I tell everyone :eek: . Didnt know about Africa. Very aggressive and hard fighting fish. They cant resist a live grass hopper on a cane pole over the side of the boat. White meat.

spratt

Lieutenant

Originally posted by oddjob:<br /> I fried some fillets w/ cajon fry mix and a louisiana recipe using musturd instead of egg. got the recipes and skills from here in the chat. Was excellent! Its the most inexpensive fish in the stores here.<br /><br />uhh...Shalom!
The recipe sounds delicious OJ!!!!! I love Cajun...but Tilapia HERE is around $5 - $6 per lb...However, I was just in Fred Meyer yesterday, and whold King Salmon was $1.99 / lb!!!

oddjob

Commander

Fred Meyer...I remember that place....was once so poor my Winnabago construction partner/roommate and I would pull our bucks together and shop there...And we would always buy a case of basic FM "BEER" with the plain white lable. It was not pretty let my tell ya, certainly need not weary about intruders during the night.. Peeeewwwwwwww! :D

spratt

Lieutenant

I dunno about then, but FM now is one of hte nicer better kinder stores...they are like a superstore, with clothing, sporting goods, hardware, and FOOD!!! Along with electronics and drugs...

oddjob

Commander

No..No! there great....its just that we bought the budgit beer for awhile till we realized the after gas....not knocking FM...jus laughing at myself/youth.

spratt

Lieutenant

Ahhh!!! I don't care if ya knock em'...they are one of the higher priced stores around!!! When WalMart gets thir superstore finished here locally, I tend to believe it will hurt FM!!!

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by Mrs Soulwinner:<br /> pi·ous adj.<br /> <br />Having or exhibiting religious reverence; earnestly compliant in the observance of religion; devout. <br /> <br />Professing or exhibiting a strict, traditional sense of virtue and morality.
That would be me, or what I aspire to.<br />I thank you for the compliment, rolmops.<br /><br />As for talapia, quite a game fish here in Florida. I do not know whether it is native or exotic (introduced), but the fresh water fish is one heluva fighter. Bass don't come close to the ferocity of the fight EXCEPT for the strike. The local canals,rivers and ponds are loaded with them.<br />They taste somewhat muddy when fresh-caught, but the "store-bought" tilapia fillet is very tasty. I guess this is due to them being farm-raised. <br />It's a sweet, tender meat,and the art of fileting is a must due to small bones.<br />Nummy. But then, to me, all fishes are nummy.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

As for canned gefillte fish.I sometimes have to suffer through it when I go visit one my wife's grand parents.They are convinced that I love it and they will make some(open a can) every time we visit.I do not want to upset the old folks,but I do not like gefillte fish.

Parrott_head

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the heads up rolmops....I guess I will pass on it as well...