St Helens Burps.. News Media Out of Control

Link

Rear Admiral
ST Helens burped at 12:02 PM and for the last 2 1/2 hours thats all thats been on TV! The news anchors are trying their best to make a story.<br />(And have more air time so we can all see their pretty faces and be impressed) This poor gal kelly (reporter) said everything she had to say in about one minute but the TV time starved anchors kept her for five to ten minutes re answering everything she had already said.<br />Tell me again exactly what you felt!<br />(She had already said that she had been in a car and heard nor felt nothing) over and over and over again stupid (leading?) questions trying to create something<br /> <br />Then they have a reporter all the way up at SeaTac airport, Are the people scared? Are they rushing to get to the planes etc etc<br /><br />I can see covering it for an hour and saying we will keep you posted. But all the hype and 2 1/2 hours non stop is just way too much. <br />Ok rant over<br />BTW 3 hous non stop now

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: St Helens Burps.. News Media Out of Control

ROFLMAO! Yeah, they do that. They did that durring the hurricane series we had down here in the bikini state too...<br />Poor reporters..They had them out there in thier cute little Gortex windbreakers with the station logo on the pocket, in 90MPH+ winds, and trying to shout over the wind-blown mic..<br />One said "The wind was blowing so hard, I had to grab a hold of my cameraman's leg just to stay in one place". My question is, WTF is she doing standing outside in the wind, rain ,flying signs and coconuts,trying to keep her footing in the first place?!<br />I think all these weather reporters in the field should be required to pass some basic tests for common sense , what my dad allways called "walkin-around sense, not book sense"--- and be at minimum of 230LBS each (to keep them from bieng blown away).

Link

Rear Admiral

12Footer <br />Yea your right.<br />I showed Mrs.Link this post before you made yours<br />She said, what did you expect? The news isn't news<br />anymore, it's entertainment, and they need to<br />beat out the other channels for ratings! Ratings<br />= Money from advertisements.<br />That coming from my little Liberal "B" from hades!<br />"B" = (Beloved) Mods :D :D :D <br />Well at least she gets it! :) :)

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

I hear ya. It's sad there is no truely unbiased source for the facts and only the facts. They all have some secondary agenda, after thier primary agenda of ratings.

And now I hear the Republicans are calling St. Helens a Democratic Flip-Flopper.... it erupts, it's dormant, it erupts... :D

mrbscott19

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by GraphicByNature:<br /> And now I hear the Republicans are calling St. Helens a Democratic Flip-Flopper.... it erupts, it's dormant, it erupts... :D
Just think of what would happen if it stayed the course....full blown eruption! ;)

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Nothing more pathetic than a news report live from the scene of something really stupid.<br /><br />"We are here on the scene of a stabbing (camera <br />pans to zoom in on the house, nothing else around except lights from a police car)."<br /><br />They could have read the same stupid info from the studio, why did anyone need to be there?<br /><br />And nothing is worse than than Wayne Deltrofino in Houston for his hurricane reporting. He actually waded into a 2 ft "high tide" to show you the waves, and did a great mime job of acting like the 50 mph winds were fixing to blow him over.<br /><br />He was the laughing stock of Houston for a while.<br /><br />Ken

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by GraphicByNature:<br /> And now I hear the Republicans are calling St. Helens a Democratic Flip-Flopper.... it erupts, it's dormant, it erupts... :D
Actually you are closer than you think....<br /><br />After they are done bellowing out a bunch a hot air, all you are left with is an ash heap that somebody has to cleanup.

oddjob

Commander

One point to Scott and...TEN points for KaGee... :)

sangerwaker

Commander

It's also just an ash hole that spews a lot of hot air!

PW2

Commander

I for one give a bit more respect to the awesome power of nature.<br /><br />While the news media may be guilty of overdramatizing this particular event, I would be careful referring to it as something "really stupid".<br /><br />I was there when the mountain originally erupted in 1980, living in Port Angeles, Wa. roughly 160 miles away. The concussion and explosion from the eruption rattled our windows, scared the death out of my 4 year old, and nearly gave my dog a coronary. According to a study done by the University of British Columbia, the blast was heard more than 500 miles away. Interestingly, friends living closer, in Tacoma, never heard a thing.<br /><br />I had business dealing with friends in Morton, Wa some 40 miles away, and they had boulders (10 to 20 lb rocks) blown into their parking lot from 40 miles away.<br /><br />Being a classic cinder cone volcano, which tends to explode rather than flow lava, they are nothing to trifle with.<br /><br />While this may be just a simple steam and ash plume event, only time will tell.<br /><br />The original eruption was only a relatively moderate eruption, and it did a bunch of damage--while I am sure it will give a bit more warning than it has if the event is to be bigger, still I would hesitate describing it as "really stupid" just yet.

I was there too PW2. The top blew off and it landed on our farm. Clear blue sky became darker than the darkest night. <br /><br />My family and I were at church. When we went to church there wasn't a cloud in the sky, typical for Eastern Washington in May. Near the end of Mass the power went out. We finished with Mass and everyone started home. Within the next hour after being home the sun just disappeared and it was dark. Then the ash started to fall, and fall, and fall. We had between 10-14 inches... everywhere.<br /><br />No phones, no electricity, not even radio because there was too much disturbance in the atmosphere. All of our crops were destroyed, all of our cattle were slaughtered, everything that was left outside had to be taken to the dump, toys, bicycles, stuff like that. We had to wear dust masks for months. In a word... it "sucked".<br /><br />You can still find that layer of ash if you go to our farm and dig a hole deep enough. I've also got plenty of pictures of my Dad and us boys plowing our crops under in the ash.

Link

Rear Admiral

PW2 <br /> 1994lundminnow <br /><br />You guys took my rant as intended. <br />I was here also when she blew last time. Was working in a under groud office. One of our jobs was to activate the Vancover EOC (emerg operations center) get them in place providing emerg communications and reports until we could get the 9th Inf tactical Signal battallion down there.<br />1994lundminnow<br />Yea you guys really got hammered over there. When it blew I think 117 years before 1980 it went to the south. I grew up on the old lava beds. (Cougar) Small world!

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I had just moved to Spokane when that thing blew. I'll never forget the blizzard of ash. The cleanup was horrible, you had to wear facemasks, driving was a pain because you had to tap your air filter out constantly. Now I live in Sandpoint, which had 2 feet of ash on the ground after it blew. Yeah, its a burpin' now, but I think it is fairly wise to remember last time it went and take nothing for granted...

Ralph 123

Captain

ROFLMAO @ KaGee! Classic! Ditto Oddjob - that was a 10 pointer at least!<br /><br />Link Great headline. You need a job writing headlines for the new media.<br /><br />How soon before the left demands ST be removed from the name of a public landmark?