Springs for old cable & pulley steering

baytonemus

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've read several of the really helpful threads about how to replace and repair an old cable, pulley, & drum steering system. I'm about to start in on that, but I've got a couple of questions about the springs used in these systems. Somewhere along the way these springs in my boat must have been abandoned.

My dad installed and repaired a lot of these back in the 50s & 60s when he and my grandpa had a Johnson/Evinrude and Crestliner dealership. He says that they were usually installed between the motor mounting bracket and the two pulleys at the center rear of the boat. However, all of the pictures I've seen on this forum show them mounted to the inside of the side walls somewhere and at least partially concealed.

I've found these springs available through iboats, but I can't quite tell how they would be connected on the back end. Is there a loop that will be drawn out the end with the hooks, or would you just attach one the hooks themselves?

Thanks!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Springs for old cable & pulley steering

This is how mine were attached.

(click to enlarge)

Steering Cables.JPG

baytonemus

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks, guys. What about the end of the springs that will attach to the side of the boat, though? Do you know what I'm asking? Not sure if I explained that very well.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Maybe this will help

Whalermerc5.jpg

Ned L

Commander

Yep, woodonglass has it right. I also think that the illustration of the spring in Iboats is not quite correct. the long "U" hooks should go though the spring 'one from each end' so that you have a 'U' sticking out each end to attach to.

baytonemus

Petty Officer 1st Class

That makes sense! Now I get it. Thanks.

baytonemus

Petty Officer 1st Class

I finally had a chance to get the steering hooked up this evening with the springs plus new cable and a couple of new pulleys. I wasn't sure how much tension to put on the springs so I settled on what seemed like a "moderate" amount. The steering is definitely a bit stiffer than it was without the springs. How is it supposed to feel? Seems kind of tight right now.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Wait till you get her on the water. Then see how it feels. It should be a totally different Ball Game!!!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I'm thinking it should turn pretty easily on land.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Well there I go assuming things again. I should have asked...

What position do you have the motor in? Is it all the way down like it will be when it's running? If so then I agree, it should turn fairly easily but if its up then it can sometimes bind and not turn as well.

baytonemus

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for your replies. The motor is down. My previous frame of reference is that it used to turn with virtually no resistance. Now there's a little. I guess that's to be expected with the springs. I'm also thinking that the cable is likely to stretch a little early on so I don't think I'll loosen it up just yet.

Weather is not cooperating today but I hope to have it in the water tomorrow morning. Thanks!