Spot weld aluminum throttle body?

gunkas

Seaman Apprentice
Those two little extensions where the water seperator base screws into the thottle body (made od aluminum I think)in Mercury EFi, have cracked during the tugging. Ive checked the price and it is $1,200 just for the part! Can I use a spot weld or some off that soft mix that cures to secure this back. The cracks do not violate any part of the main body, just these little extensions. Thanks, Mark

hondon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Spot weld aluminum throttle body?

Interesting siuation.As long as you know for certain that this hasn't compromised the intake mani.then by all means use some goo. Spot welding would not be adviseable without a teardown because this can cause spalling on the steel internal components of your engine and not to mention the fact that welding would occur that close to fuel.Time to adapt and overcome.

Bluefish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Is it possible to mount the water seperator some were else??<br />Good Luck

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

I am a firm believer in JB WELD. So much so, that I get ribbed about it at werk.<br />But the stuff is really good. MARINE TEX, another two part epoxy is very strong, but I dont know how it would hold-up to heat.<br />But I do know JB WELD, when completely cured, (24hours) is impervious to heat below 1000*F, and fuel and solvents.<br />I think it will werk for you. But don't use "JB QUICK". This is a 2part that cures in less time. It cures funky,and unevenly.<br /><br />If you can remove this part from the intake,isolate it, a good machine shop can repair the damage.<br />But as Hondon said, don't try it mounted. There are also computer concerns if welded on the motor. Computersed ignition systems fry quickly. The Fleet maintainance boys where I werk fried my GMC's OIC,and the current regulator on the generator of the truck I operate. An honest mistake,but a costly one.<br />BTW, JB WELD Would've repaired the damage they welded perminently :) <br />Good luck.

gunkas

Seaman Apprentice

Hey thanks guys, I ended up JB welding in two bolts reversed so I can slide the water seperator base over then secure with nuts. I did this yesterday early am and today it is like solid steel. I test ran the boat and all is well, thakyou JB weld o!! Mark