Sport, sport and more sport

Kiwi Phil

Commander
Re: Sport, sport and more sport

Never underestimate the "Okkers" when it comes to playing the "Poms". They may have lost a couple of games in the warm-up rounds but I wouldn't raise the flag and start singing "Rule Britanica " just yet.<br />They are motivated by 3 things, in the following order:<br />If you come 2nd you are a looser<br />On any sports arena, the "Poms" are enemy No1<br />If they loose, they all get fired.<br /><br />Love the "Balmy Army" though. What a magic sight with them all sitting in the stalls with their tin hats on :D :D drinking warm tinnies.<br />Wonder if that sort of thing exists in the American sports fields. Hope it does.<br /><br />Seems the 'flipper' has bowled another couple of 'maiden overs'.<br /><br />Cheers<br />Phillip

sue5878

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Dunaruna<br /><br />Looks like we will be having some fun in the next few months. I suspect we will get a bit of competition this time, for a change.<br /><br />However I hope RP is not a betting man, or he might end up like a spinner (losing a lot of money).<br /><br />Still I prefer watching a test that goes for more than 3 days. I think we should see a couple go the distance this time, and I think the ashes will come home in the end.<br /><br />GR

RPJS

Lieutenant Commander

NO NO NO Aldo, you've got it all wrong, thats not the position to have your a$$ kissed, what Brett is doing there is getting ready to take the a$$ kicking he knows he is going to be getting all summer.<br /><br />Phil, you need to let your world cup rugby team know about those 3 rules of yours, are there many job opportunities for ex test cricketers in Australia.<br /><br />GR I've only got tickets for the first 3 days at Edgbaston, having seen the way you Aussies are playing I didn't bother with last 2.

jafa

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If were sledging the english...<br /><br />
picture4.jpg

RPJS

Lieutenant Commander

Rockhopper,<br />I can't see an english team in that photo. :rolleyes: <br /><br />No mention of NZ cricket in your post :p

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

The closest i get to a cricket match these days is by listening to the BBC ball by ball commentary, i can tell you that it's not the same without the late John Arlott and Brian Johnston :( <br />I want to know about the little dog that ran out onto the field, or what the group of pigeons are doing at fine leg :D <br /><br />Another glorious day at Lords, not a cloud to be seen....aah! i wish :D

Stratosfied

Ensign

To the folks who have posted pictures...WOW..Great Job!! except the Alabama one..WAR Damn EAGLE!!!!YEA!!!

Kiwi Phil

Commander

RPJS:<br />Aussie ex cricketers seem to all bugxar off to the county teams in the UK. :D <br />(personally I reckon imports should be banned from English County teams; would give more opportunity to your young up and comming players).<br />As for the Rugby, if you are referring to the All Blacks, - well believe this....years back there was a joke about once you got selected as an All Black, it was harder to get dropped from the team than slected in the first place.<br />And hey, we're not here to talk about the Black Caps. :D <br />(actually I've been an Aussie since '88)<br />That's a great photo - what team is wearing red if not the English team. (It's not Wales is it)<br />To the Kiwis - i have the Centenial Photo of all the All Blacks from 1900-2000. One of those long skinny photos, all framed, and everybody there apparantly.<br />What about the Balmy Army. Amyone got a good shot of them in their tin hats and singlets to show all the Yanks on this show...that would bring about a degree of silence.<br />Cheers<br />phillip

Dunaruna

Admiral

Hey Phil, the silver ferns whooped the aussie's last night. Lucky it's only a one game test. :p <br /><br />Aldo

Kiwi Phil

Commander

Lucky for who Aldo :p <br />Cheers<br />Phillip

sue5878

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Kiwi Phil<br /><br />I won't tell my wife about your background, that is since '88. The boss is a Kiwi and we have never discussed changing her background. Proud people Kiwi's.<br /><br />Not knocking but glad to see you still call yourself Kiwi. By the way not knocking the change either.<br /><br />I hope your right about the cricket.<br /><br />GR

Kiwi Phil

Commander

We have an afterthought; he is now 11yrs old. (his sister and brother are in their 30's).<br />He was born here. <br />At the time, kids born here of 2 Kiwi parents had no nationality. The parents had to decide if they would be Aussies or Kiwis and make application accordingly. <br />It was unlikely we would go home, and it would be unfair to make him a Kiwi and he live his life in Aussie, so we decided to all become Aussies. <br />That way we can vote etc, and quite frankly, my personal opinion is, if you live in a country then we felt we should really become naturalised, now wI can voice my ignorant opinions. <br />Know a lot of other who see it differently, but that's OK, everyone to their own.<br />Am told I havn't lost my accent.<br />Don't worry about the cricket..........the wheels will fall off the Poms, probably soomer than later.<br />Remember when they won the World Rugby Cup. 1st time they had won a world thing like that for something like 27yrs. I believe they even introduced a 27pence postage stamp to comemorate the event... :p , plus the Queen Knighted (or something)the coach and some of the team.<br />Chhers<br />Phillip :

Dunaruna

Admiral

George Hincapie has taken line honors for the 15th stage of the tour. He has ridden the tour de france for 10 years and although he is Armstrongs' (loyal) right hand man this is his first ever stage win. Unfortuently, he is not in the running for an overall podium place.<br /><br />Stage 15 is by far the most gruelling in terms of mountains.<br /><br />IMO, Hincapie is a serious contender for a podium place next year.<br /><br />Aldo

I don't know much about cycling. Never heard of this Hincappie. The only fellow I know is this guy Armstrong, how is he doing? ;) :wink: :wink: wink

Dunaruna

Admiral

Hincapie is all American! He's one of yours'. He has been, and is, Armstrongs' right hand man.<br /><br />This is just a general comment, not directed at you, Ray. I'm amazed at the fact that no-one here is showing interest in this, the two guys I have mentioned are world class sportmen at the top of their field - Armstrong is arguably the the best endurance sportsman - in the world - ever! And he's done it off the back of brain cancer!<br /><br />Aldo

I guess it is all a matter of priority. When you have all of the worlds problems to solve you don't have time to comment on insignificant things like world class achievment. ;) Open mouth insert foot.

Dunaruna

Admiral

Ah, but that's just it! It's events like this that give us perspective, the world's not just one big doom and gloom war. Life goes on, otherwise what's the damn point!<br /><br />Lance should have a a significant accolade named in his honor, I don't know - a hospital or a college or something.<br /><br />maybe it's because the tour is in France?<br /><br />Aldo

Yes, I knew that was it. That is why I said it. I wonder how many didn't get the pointer? ;) Some people look at a glass of water and say it is half empty some people say it is half full but that doesn't change the amount of water in the glass. Everyone has an ego and those who try to deny their own ego are only fooling themselves. Motive and purpose - the key to understanding. Give our love to your wife and family. We continue to pray for you and yours. [not edited for politcal correctness] :D

Cranky18

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Armstrong is arguably the the best endurance sportsman - in the world - ever! And he's done it off the back of brain cancer!<br /><br />
I totally agree. I think a lot of people here don't realize how big cycling is in europe. Lance winning the Tour De France (6 times)is about the equivilant of France coming over here and winning the superbowl :p