Sport Jet important info and basics

Status
Not open for further replies.

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade
If you have a Jet drove boat with a Mercury Sport Jet Engine here are some basics to get started .

OK here we go ! First of all I need to know which stator you have , black or red . Black stator will have a blue and red wire coming out from the flywheel and connecting to the switchbox , Red stator will have green/white and white/green going to an adapter and then a single blue going to the switchbox. Unless you have the CDM conversion in which case you will not have a switchbox , so post that up also.
Here are the steps for the red stator (most popular) if you have a black one post it and I will send diag and readings for it .

REMEMBER !!! Never run this boat out of the water without a dealer type flush kit hooked up, you will blow the ride plate off and that is major $$$. You want just water flow with the flush kit hooked up , NO PRESSURE it will get into the engine !

1. Check all grounds.
2. Check battery voltage , You need at least 10.2 to fire a CDI system.
3. Disconnect the Black/Yellow wire from the switchbox and check for spark.
4. Disconnect the yellow wires from the voltage regulator and check for spark.
5. Ohm the stator . Green/white to White/green , Post results.
6. Ohm the trigger , check each wire individually using White/black as your ground . First to brown , then to purple and finally white . Post the readings .

Also please open a new post as it will help me to track things as I get about 8 requests per month for help. The best thread title would be your user name and Sport Jet .Also please do not PM me for diag info , I do not mind PM?s one bit but this forum is for the benefit of all who view and there are several others on here with very sound and accurate advice .

Status
Not open for further replies.