Splatter paint effect using hopper gun

Steelguitarman

Seaman Apprentice
I'm going to be trying to respray the gellcoat on my 1973 trihull. It has a splatter paint look that is really nice, easy to wash, grippy and durable. I'd really like to get it close. I've been worried about using smaller sprayers to get the look because for it to go through the gun, it needs thinned and doesn't "stand" as well. I thought about using some manual methods, but if I can spray it, I will. I've found what they call a hooper gun. It looks like they spray ceilings and truck liners and such with them. They have a 4mm to 8 mm tips. Would this work to spray gelcoat through to get that splattered look?

Thanks. Any one with experience or even knowledge of spaying with larger tips guns. Thanks

todhunter

Canoeist
I assume you're talking about on the inside of the hull? I've looked into it some (but never applied it) - I think you need to buy "webbing solution" to add to your gelcoat when you spray it. You should also practice on some scrap pieces - getting it to look the way you want is all about the ratio of air to gelcoat when spraying - if I remember correct, you want LOTS of air and very little gelcoat coming out. Getting the fan pattern dialed in on the gun is important too.