Spiining Noise

xenus7850

Cadet
I have a 2004 twin Mercrusier 5.0 MPI engines. When I turn the key one turn on the port engine and then turn it off, there is no noise. When I turn the key one turn on the other engine, when I turn the key off I hear a spinning zzzzzzzzzz noise, any idea what that would be?

superbenk

Commander
Re: Spiining Noise

Is a starter gear not retracting until you shut the motor off? You might be hearing it whizzing to a stop after disengaging once the motor stops turning.

How long does the whizzing sound last for?

xenus7850

Cadet

It will spin for about 2-3 seconds. I know that I have been having trouble starting this engine. I may have to turn the key 10-20 times before it will actually start. What I mean, is I will try to start it and nothing, it is getting power and I hear it in the engine compartment, but it does not even try and start. I keep trying to start it by turning the key off an on, then like magic it starts no problem.

Never noticed the spinning noise before, I just pulled it from the water, so not sure how long it has been doing this. I believe it is the starter, not sure. It spins when I shut the key off, it does not spin when I turn the key into the run or start positions, only when I shut the engine off, then it does that for about 2 seconds.

wire2

Lieutenant Commander

.... I will try to start it and nothing, it is getting power and I hear it in the engine compartment, but it does not even try and start. I keep trying to start it by turning the key off an on, then like magic it starts no problem.

"getting power", is the starter cranking the engine? But it doesn't fire up?

xenus7850

Cadet

Yes, it appears that the starter is getting power. When I turn the key, I can hear some activity in the engine compartment, but the engine is not turning over. After I play with the key, going back and fourth 10-20 times, it will then turn over at full strength and start right up.

As I turn the key back and fourth it will make a spinning sound if I turn the key to the off position, the spinning noise last for about 2 seconds, bot sure what the spinning noise means, does that mean the starter is bad?

superbenk

Commander

My guesses would be one of the following or a combination of bad starter solenoid, bad bendix spring/sticky shaft, bad alignment, bad flywheel teeth.

But, yes, sounds like a starter problem to me.