Spider Cracks Repair

mckaras

Seaman
I am looking for advice on how to repair this spider cracking on my Moomba. Is it best to dremel out the cracks and fill with matching gelcoat, fill with a fairing compound and gelcoat over, etc.

I'm open to suggestions, I have watched several videos and I have seen quite a few repairing the cracks with fairing compound.

Attachments

• 244660958_1896418380539914_8379261621530251698_n.jpg
    244660958_1896418380539914_8379261621530251698_n.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 18

zool

Captain
I am looking for advice on how to repair this spider cracking on my Moomba. Is it best to dremel out the cracks and fill with matching gelcoat, fill with a fairing compound and gelcoat over, etc.

I'm open to suggestions, I have watched several videos and I have seen quite a few repairing the cracks with fairing compound.
I recently did the same repair on my Century CC , I v-grooved the cracks with a rotary, filled and faired with 3m vinyl ester compound, and sprayed color matched gel with Duratec. Its basically un noticeable now

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I've always been to grind all the way through the gel to just at the glass. If you don't the crack may come back. So I do it like that and have no issues.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Yes, grind and repair is what is covered in the stickies

zool

Captain
Grinding that section of the cap and trying to get it fair again is a big ask. You will see the repair area everyday.

mckaras

Seaman
I've always been to grind all the way through the gel to just at the glass. If you don't the crack may come back. So I do it like that and have no issues.
Good deal, do you use a fairing compound to fill the voids and re gelcoat or do you fill the voids with gel coat?

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Well, on mine I filled them with epoxy, and small amount of fairing compound. I painted mine. At the shop we fill with gel, unless the damage is deep, then thickened epoxy, then gel.

Chappydoc

Cadet

I have viewed videos that iBoats presented, and I've seen the instructor use gelcoat from Spectrum Color that appears to have a thinner consistency than what I got from them. I tried to find them online, but their website doesn't work; no support available. Any ideas??

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I have viewed videos that iBoats presented, and I've seen the instructor use gelcoat from Spectrum Color that appears to have a thinner consistency than what I got from them. I tried to find them online, but their website doesn't work; no support available. Any ideas??
did you get gel or paste?

Scott Danforth

Staff member
It has the consistency of paste. I didn't know there were different types. ;-/
the paste is just thickened gel, used primarily for fixing chips. you spread it like body filler. you can add a bit of styrene or even just a dab of acetone to thin it

Chappydoc

Cadet
the paste is just thickened gel, used primarily for fixing chips. you spread it like body filler. you can add a bit of styrene or even just a dab of acetone to thin it
Thanks, Scott,
I'll pick up some styrene if I need to do some thinning of the material. I've used the paste as you have described-to fill chips and holes.
As for the holes, I've been made aware (after placing the material) that there will be some shrinkage, due to polymerization (I should have known that). If there are obvious 'depressions' in the material after fully setting, is it possible to add a small amount more to 'float' the material, so as to level it off? If so, what steps are necessary?

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Thanks, Scott,
I'll pick up some styrene if I need to do some thinning of the material. I've used the paste as you have described-to fill chips and holes.
As for the holes, I've been made aware (after placing the material) that there will be some shrinkage, due to polymerization (I should have known that). If there are obvious 'depressions' in the material after fully setting, is it possible to add a small amount more to 'float' the material, so as to level it off? If so, what steps are necessary?
like doing body filler. suggest a few layers and sanding in between