Spark plug recommendations for 1973 evinrude 65 triumph.

TyeCope122

Seaman
Hello! I need some recommendations for spark plugs for my 1973 evinrude 65 triumph. The model is 65373r, I currently have champions in it that I need to replace and I was wondering if there’s any specific model of champion spark plugs or another brand I should buy to make sure I am getting the best performance out of my outboard. All help is much appreciated, Thank you.

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
Hello! I need some recommendations for spark plugs for my 1973 evinrude 65 triumph. The model is 65373r, I currently have champions in it that I need to replace and I was wondering if there’s any specific model of champion spark plugs or another brand I should buy to make sure I am getting the best performance out of my outboard. All help is much appreciated, Thank you.
Going off memory....UL77V
Better wait for confirmation.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Use L77JC4------The sparkplugs perform for many years.-----Why the need to replace them ?----Running issues ?-----What trouble shooting was done if any ?

TyeCope122

Seaman
Use L77JC4------The sparkplugs perform for many years.-----Why the need to replace them ?----Running issues ?-----What trouble shooting was done if any ?
I made a forum last week about buying a 1973 evinrude and I should’ve added onto the existing forum but I forgot. I just got this motor 2 days ago and I am in the Process of fixing it up. I got it for $100 with no controls and it was locked up. Currently right now is spins freely and I am still slowly working it so that the cylinders and everything will be clean and I can try to eliminate as much junk as I can. When I took the spark plugs out the were pretty nasty and I didn’t want to try and use them. Also the spark plugs that I took out don’t have an arch on the bottom by the threads, the style of these spark plugs are flat on the bottom of the threads. The spark plugs that I have are champion UL77V. I have included pictures of what my current spark plugs look like. The L77jc4 have those arches on them, does it matter if they have them or not?

14747632-C4AA-4C3C-9DF2-7B431E12BB13.jpeg
1FDFE162-4AF9-458C-BFAA-6BB5FB8F5FB6.jpeg
A678BB45-C895-4FA1-BCE5-AAC53E6BB0CA.jpeg
C44858AB-63E7-4431-888F-94B50B613484.jpeg

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Any pictures of the old plugs?----??----Use the L77J4C !!-----Post compression values after a test run.----These motors use needle and roller bearings.-----If water was inside the motor there can be serious damage to these bearings.----If you get it running then time will tell.------

TyeCope122

Seaman
Any pictures of the old plugs?----??----Use the L77J4C !!-----Post compression values after a test run.----These motors use needle and roller bearings.-----If water was inside the motor there can be serious damage to these bearings.----If you get it running then time will tell.------
2D76CCDA-D77B-4D65-9C23-9213FFA9DBDA.jpeg
5329B3E4-1F06-442D-A2AE-14433928C801.jpeg

TyeCope122

Seaman
So do I need to get the plugs you told me to get or new plugs of the kind of plugs I have right now?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
??-----Get the motor running.-----Then install new plugs.-----I would use L77J4C if it was my motor.-----You can use anything you desire !

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
The currently recommended plugs are Champion L77JC4
If you live in a part of the world where NGK plugs are more readily available
B7HS-10, re-gapped to 0.030", will be suitable

TyeCope122

Seaman
??-----Get the motor running.-----Then install new plugs.-----I would use L77J4C if it was my motor.-----You can use anything you desire !
I did a compression test and these were the results top-95 middle-77 bottom-125. I think my starter is bad. It will not disengage off the flywheel and it turned very slow when I did the top and middle cylinder test and went sorta fast when I did the bottom. I know this engine has good compression, I just think I didn’t give the starter enough time to build up compression. I am in the process of trying to start this outboard but I don’t have an ignition and I am trying hot wire it and get it started

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
From the 73 Brochure

Attachments

• Evinrudeb73009.jpg
    Evinrudeb73009.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 8
  • Evinrudeb73010.jpg
    Evinrudeb73010.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 8

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Stop repeat STOP trying to " hot wire " it.-----This motor does not use 12 volts from the battery to make spark at the sparkplugs.----It will cost serious $$$ if you proceed with guesswork !!

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
I did a compression test and these were the results top-95 middle-77 bottom-125. I think my starter is bad. It will not disengage off the flywheel and it turned very slow when I did the top and middle cylinder test and went sorta fast when I did the bottom. I know this engine has good compression, I just think I didn’t give the starter enough time to build up compression. I am in the process of trying to start this outboard but I don’t have an ignition and I am trying hot wire it and get it started
Pull all of the plugs and ground the spark plugs or put a multi port spark tester. Now do the compression test.

TyeCope122

Seaman
Pull all of the plugs and ground the spark plugs or put a multi port spark tester. Now do the compression test.
I have strong spark. The numbers didn’t move much, only difference was the top moved from 95 to 100. This motor was sitting in the elements for 7+ years locked up. I got it free and it turns freely and it doesn’t feel like there’s much on the walls where the pistons are. I think that if I get this motor running or work the cylinders and pistons some more that the compression may go up. Let me know what you think. Is it worth investing time and money into it or it or should I walk away?

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
I have strong spark. The numbers didn’t move much, only difference was the top moved from 95 to 100. This motor was sitting in the elements for 7+ years locked up. I got it free and it turns freely and it doesn’t feel like there’s much on the walls where the pistons are. I think that if I get this motor running or work the cylinders and pistons some more that the compression may go up. Let me know what you think. Is it worth investing time and money into it or it or should I walk away?
Unless you can get those numbers up and more even, then it will need a re-build. Whether it's worth it to you or not, I can not answer that.

McGR

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Soak the piston tops and rings with Marvel Mystery Oil or other similar penetrating oil and let it sit for a few days. Come back and see if the compression is improving.

TyeCope122

Seaman
I am now in the process of trying to get the motor to start. I currently don’t have an ignition or controls that connect to the red plug. Apparently if I take the plugs out and ground them to the head they spark and I can see it on the bottom of the plugs because the spark is pretty strong. But when I go to thread them into the head they don’t have spark. I’m assuming if I had an Ignition that would fix my problem. Is there any way to Hotwire my outboard so that I don’t have to get an Ignition or controls? Also I’ve been using a battery charger to spin over the starter. I need to hook a battery up to it but when I go this motor it did not have battery cables connected to it. Could someone tell me how battery cables possibly connect and where they connect to on my outboard? so I can throw instead of using a battery charger? I just need this thing to spark and for me to have a somewhat efficient way to turn this thing over.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Caution------Do not connect 12 volts to any of the " spark making " components.-----The motor magneto generates the spark when flywheel spins over at 250 RPM or so.-----So take starter apart for inspection / ohm check on armature.-----Sounds like starter is weak and can not achieve proper cranking RPM with plugs in.-----Perhaps pull it over with a rope on flywheel.-----Red plug disconnected.------Yes this motor will start and run with a DEAD battery , but a battery must be hooked up to protect the charging system!!

TyeCope122

Seaman
Caution------Do not connect 12 volts to any of the " spark making " components.-----The motor magneto generates the spark when flywheel spins over at 250 RPM or so.-----So take starter apart for inspection / ohm check on armature.-----Sounds like starter is weak and can not achieve proper cranking RPM with plugs in.-----Perhaps pull it over with a rope on flywheel.-----Red plug disconnected.------Yes this motor will start and run with a DEAD battery , but a battery must be hooked up to protect the charging system!!
Thank you for the reply. Do you know how I can connect a battery to this outboard. Currently it doesn’t have any battery cables hooked up to it and I’m unsure of how they would need to go when I connect them. Possibly the negative cable goes from the battery to the block and the positive cable goes from the battery to the solenoid then to the starter? I just need some guidance on how I can connect a battery to the engine.

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
Thank you for the reply. Do you know how I can connect a battery to this outboard. Currently it doesn’t have any battery cables hooked up to it and I’m unsure of how they would need to go when I connect them. Possibly the negative cable goes from the battery to the block and the positive cable goes from the battery to the solenoid then to the starter? I just need some guidance on how I can connect a battery to the engine.
Yes, negative goes to the block and the positive goes to the soloniod. You should already have a wire going from the soloniod to the starter.

Post pictures of what you have.