SouWinner - Yo-lota Lancruisers

SoulWinner

Commander
Re: SouWinner - Yo-lota Lancruisers

and how 'bout this?!?! Freaking COOL!!! <br /><br />Man you dudes got some cool rides down there. Like the HZJ Cruisers. We don't have those. Why won't Toyota let us have a crack at the GOOD STUFF?!?!

Kiwi Phil

Commander

Here is a Q.<br />My Fairmont Ghia has 110K on it and the depreciation is real low on the books.<br />Have been considering either a new Cruiser (with the v8 and put it in LPG), or the Nissan Patrol 3.0l Diesel.<br />I won't be going off road, just pulling the next boat. <br />The wife will use it as a car.<br />What are your views.<br />Always wanted a Yank Tank Pick Up truck, but the other day the Ford Man quoted me $73,000 for F250 Dual Cab with 7.?L V8 Diesel. Holy mother of Gxd, that ain't even funny.<br />If they priced those things right, there would be a lot more of them around.<br />Cheers<br />Phillip

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by Kiwi Phil:<br />.... but the other day the Ford Man quoted me $73,000 for F250 Dual Cab with 7.?L V8 Diesel. Holy mother of Gxd, that ain't even funny.<br />If they priced those things right, there would be a lot more of them around.<br />Cheers<br />Phillip
Gee Whiz, what's Ford doin, tacking all the rebates, they give us, onto the Australian trucks? They are nice trucks but...<br /><br />Hey Phillip, what is a Fairmont Ghia? Any equivalant over here?

Dunaruna

Admiral

Phil. Whats the ticket price on a new V8 cruiser? Must be around $80,000. The new 100 series is a big lump of metal for a lady to handle but not as big as an F250. Patrol is a little more compact.<br />Hearing excellent things about the new 3.0L turbo diesel patrol, 4.2L diesel turbo is an option (really like the navara with the same engine package & auto). Excellent tow rig.<br /><br />SW, if the mining companies had the BJ55 they must have imported them privately, never seen or heard of a king cab tray on the road here (same front body as a 45 series). <br /><br />The HZJ series are great, big tray version or a people carrier (know as a troop carrier or 'troopie'). The 1HZ diesel engine is very smooth and economical - almost indestructable. I've always thought they would make a great marinised motor.<br /><br />Aldo

Peter J Fraser

Chief Petty Officer

Soulwinner.<br />The question of your AK47 in NZ can be answered like this.<br />YES, but with conditions imposed by the Police. Have a look at the official line NZ Police <br />An 'A' category license allows you to own any number of firearms, long guns rifle or shotgun if they are, Bolt, lever action, pump or semi auto. Military style semi auto (MSSA) are the subject of an additional endorsement as are handguns.<br /><br />This website here Trade & Exchange may also help in your search for a cruiser.<br />The BJ55 models were quite plentiful here as were the FJ models. A lot of the FJ's were repowered with SB Chevs (good choice) or with a variety of diesels.<br /><br />Good luck,<br /><br />Peter

SoulWinner

Commander

Thanks for the link Peter. Lots to read. Also, thanks for the Trade and Exchange site.<br /><br />Phil, have you driven a v-8 Cruiser? I drove one once and didn't like it. It didn't feel like it had the torque of the inline 6 cyl, which is what I assume you want (torque) for pulling your boat. As for the Ford F-250, they are lovely trucks, and with the Deisel engine they get better fuel mileage than my '93 Land Cruiser and can pull just about anything, but the price you were quoted sounds like someone is smoking crack.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Hi all,<br /><br />One of the things that really gets my goat is people who buy the big 4WD's without a good reason! They are not suitable or designed as shopping trollies. They are work vehicles and should only be used as such. There should be a seperate class of drivers licence for them and the drivers should have the required training to drive them. Are you aware that almost half the accidents involving 4WDs are single vehicle accidents? That basically comes down to lack of knowledge of the vehicle. One of the most dangerous things is one of these cars in untrained hands. <br /><br />Personally I think that if you don't have a valid reason for owning one, you should be allowed to have them! <br /><br />IMHO<br /><br />Chris...........

SoulWinner

Commander

Chris,<br /><br />What about basic personal freedom? That is the defining principal that America was founded upon. The guys that wrote the Constitution of the Untied States believed that as long ones actions did not infringe upon the life, liberty or pursuit of happiness of another person, then one should be free to do what one chooses. They knew that although everyone is created equal, not everyone is endowed with the same interests, education, intellect, and ability to reason logically, however, they believed that it should be the legal and unalienable right of the individual to have the freedom to make their own decisions in life; such as my decision to try to get a Unimog to use as my daily (on pavement )driver. Do I need a Unimog? No. Would I ever use it's capabilities off road? Maybe sometimes when I feel like playing, but very rarely. But never the less, freedom to choose is what allows human beings to achieve greatness. Your last post brings to mind countless scenarios of repression of freedom of thought. <br /><br />Think how much further advanced in knowledge the human race would be if the Church of Rome hadn't repressed early science and astronomy based on what they believed. Any time you limit the actions or thoughts of other human beings, you limit the extent to which the human race can evolve in culture, technology, knowledge, etc. Having a special license to own and operate a four wheel drive vehicle is the same thing....even worse, it's a form of a tax. Taxes are used by governments to limit things they don't want or tightly control things they are benevolent enough to allow, such as tariffs, or hunting and fishing licenses. Here is an example of the danger of making 4X4 ownership a licensed and therefore specially taxed endeavor: Take capital gains taxes for example. They allow the government to confiscate a portion of any profit that your money earns on an investment. This type of tax discourages investment; but business needs investment in order to order to finance growth. So a capital gains tax discourages a healthy, growing economy; just as tariffs discourage foreign competition in domestic markets and visa-versa. Licensing 4X4 ownership would discourage 4X4 ownership, this would devalue the four wheel drives in Australia (I'll AU as a model for the sake of our discussion since that's where you are) which would cause financial injury to everyone who owns a 4X4, because they would have to either pay for a license to drive a vehicle they already own, or try to sell the vehicle in a market flooded with vehicles that everyone else in their situation is trying to sell, thereby meaning that they would have to practically give their trucks away. At any rate, the population of 4X4 vehicles would radially decline, which would mean that there would be no option of using a four wheel drive in situations wherein a four wheel drive would be a safer and more desirable vehicle to use, such as slick or icy roads, etc. Not to mention the damage that is done to the human spirit each time it is faced with erosion of freedom....the fading away ambition...the incremental destruction of innovative thought.....the demoralization of all of humanity when even the smallest and seemingly inconsequential freedom is taken from us, especially when it for our own good, forever removing from us the option of pursuing that deeply seated human need to find out for ourselves.<br /><br />The bottom line Chris is this, not everyone can make the right decision and/or choice in life every time, but we as freedom loving human beings should have the freedom to live our lives as we see fit, to make the choices we wish to make for what ever reason we deem appropriate; not living under the yoke of tyranny wherein our choices are limited by someone else, or God forbid they are made for us by someone else. Let that someone else live their life and stay the heck out of mine. I don't want to tell you or anybody what you can or can't drive, why would anyone want to exercise that kind of control over another human being? (Saddam Hussein maybe?) You say that most crashes involving 4X4 are single vehicle crashes, sounds like those who wish to drive 4X4 aren't hurting anyone but themselves, and when society steps in to try to protect people from themselves, then we cease to be free.

Kiwi Phil

Commander

Boomyal,<br /><br />will try and post a reply about the Ghia.<br />Still have problems <br />1. logging on to iboats<br />2. almost as if there is a time bar restriction as often will type a reply and can't post it.<br />Cheers<br />Phillip

Kiwi Phil

Commander

Soul Winner,<br />I sort of agree with Chris.<br />The 1st thing that should be introduced is a saftey standard to all 4x4. All other motor vehicles in the world have to comply to international saftey standards to be able to sell in to developed countries. They have to met a long list of criteria.<br />4x4's have short circuited that system as they call themselves "trucks" when it comes to meeting standards, (so they don't have to meet any specific standard) then passenger vehicles when marketing to the common people.<br />4x4 are downright dangerous and the saftey technology probably hasn't advanced past the 50's.<br />You should watch the US Documentary called "Roll Over". what an eye opener that was. The best bit was the last 2-3 minutes interview the Policeman on the steps to the Court House, and what happened to a 4x4 driving up the main street.<br />That incident said every thing.<br />Cheers<br />Phillip

Dunaruna

Admiral

Phil, what year & model ghia, I can post a pic and some info if you want.<br /><br />Boomyal, I'd like to explore the "swapping engines" thing if it doesn't cause a riot. Whadya think?<br /><br />Aldo

Kiwi Phil

Commander

Boomyal<br />Aussie Ford make a range of vehicles.<br />The largest is the Ford Falcon.<br />It comes in many different "fit-outs".<br />The top of the range is the Fairlaine.<br />The next down is the Fairmont.<br />Both are luxuary vehicles.<br />Mine is the Fairmont but I have added to it further luxuary items that come known as a "Ghia fitout".<br />Most are 6cy in line 4L motors<br />In a Ghia they install a performance Motor known as a "Tickford" set up.<br />In the UK Ford I believe they call their perforance Motors "Cosworth set up".<br />I don't know why they bother with performance motor in the Ghia, as those that normally buy them are older and not sporty or petrol heads. Really a waste.<br />Mine is the very last of the EL model of Ford, being a 1997. Hence the depreciation is down and not too much of a Tax advantage to me now.<br />Actually the wifes car, and she has priced the new Fairlaine at $57,000 and the new Fairmont Ghia at $49,000.<br />I hope i have every thing correct.<br />Cheers<br />Phillip

Kiwi Phil

Commander

Dunaruna,<br />I will e-mail you a shot if you like.<br />It is 6yrs old now though.<br />Hope I have explained everything properly.<br />Cheers<br />Phillip

Dunaruna

Admiral

E-mail away - aldek@nex.net.au<br /><br />Just a small point, the top of the range is the LTD then Fairlane etc. The fairmont Ghia IMO is somewhere inbetween LTD and fairlane. Difficult to catagorise, just my opinion.<br /><br />From a mechanics point of view the EL fairmont Ghia was the last decent large ford to grace our roads and with the tickford package thats one nice vehicle. Don't sell yourself short, the tickford upgrades should preclude it from dealer book quotes. Sell it privately, you'll be surprised.<br /><br />Telstra have been on the news all day, something about not being able to log onto broadband because the server thinks you are already logged on, Australia wide problem according to the news.<br /><br />Aldo

SoulWinner

Commander

Guys, for last 15 years I have owned nothing but 4X4 Toyotas (except for my Supra), all 4Runners except one pick-up and the Land Cruiser. Maybe it's because I don't drive like a bung hole, maybe it's because I don't drive with my head up my bung, but I have NEVER gotten into trouble driveing my 4X4s. Quite the contrarty, when I stopped on the interstate hwy and a lunk head talking on his cell phone piled into the back of my 4Runner doing 70MPH, it was the heavily built 4X4 SUV that saved my life and the life of my friend in the passenger seat. The guy that hit me was transported to the hospital in an ambulance, his 1998 Ford Explorer was transported to the junk yard on a roll-back lorrie, I drove myself to the hospital in my battered 4Runner. Blaming the 4X4 for the actions of the driver is like blaming a gun for the actions of the person that pulled the trigger.

gsbodine

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by SoulWinner:<br /> Guys, for last 15 years I have owned nothing but 4X4 Toyotas (except for my Supra), all 4Runners except one pick-up
except for the supra part, I could say the same thing (though our current 4runner is a 4x2). We were rear ended by a truck doing 55 pulling a trailer (dual axle sort for showing farm tractors, as it turns out) and my wife was pregnant at the time. We both came out ok (though the 4runner was totaled) and our baby is now 15 months old and strong as atlas. the kid who hit us was driving a toyota tundra. it blew the airbag and he got out of it fine as well. i am glad that my wife drives that vehicle around. <br /><br />so this got a little offtopic, but I am very thankful that accident turned out to be minor for everyone involved (except the insurance companies, I suppose) and you just reminded me of it.

Peter J Fraser

Chief Petty Officer

SW,<br />What model Supra do you have,<br />We have had all models over the years and my wife drives a '94 JZA80 series to school each day and all the kids think she is COOL coz she has a fast car.<br />Its the 3.0 litre twin turbo beast, all 325hp.<br />The only time I'm allowed to drive it is when the gas tank is empty, guess who pays.<br />Regards<br /><br />Peter

SoulWinner

Commander

Peter, I had a 1986 (the rare model that exists in limbo between the 1985 model and the offical 1986 model that is really and '86 1/2; it looked just like a 1985 model, but it had a third brake light) Supra with a three liter 5MGE, which I replaced with a 3.2 liter 6MGE from Japan. I added a header, intake, Suspension Technologies goodies and used to leave 5.o liter Mustangs in the dust. Alas, that car, with it's killer sterio, killer custom paint job, all the bells and whistles, was lost to an accident. Not my fault, but it totalled the car just same. <br /><br />All the aluminum on the engine was hand polished to mirror shine, with accents in canary yellow and flat black. The car was two tone blue, but under the hood it was all flat black and canary yellow, and all the aluminum was hand polished. By the way, I built the car myself, polished the aluminum, rebuilt everything. I could do a complete engine swap on that car in 6 hours; thats drive it in-drive it out. I could change the clutch in 40 minutes, and bleed the clutch slave cylinder by myself. <br /><br />I loved that car. It represented way too much in my life, and I think that is why it was taken the way it was. The car became my God if you know what I mean. Do I miss it? Nah. With what is out there now, the '98 homo-ligation Supras in Japan with the raceing engines, the '95 RX7, Mistu Evo, or the Nissan Skyline GTRs....they all make my old Supra look like a pile of junk, and compared to them, it is. It really is anyway, since it was totalled and went to the scrap yard in 1995. Who knows, maybe there is some of it in the Chinese made bench vise I bought back in '96.......<br /><br />After the Supra I got an '88 MR2 Supercharged. That car was fun, but I started to rework the engine; I wanted 350 HP out of it, and it was sitting in my driveway with the engine slung all over my shop the day I was in that accident that totalled my 4Runner.....the one that could easily have killed me. I rolled up, took one at that little car and listed it for sale on the American MR2 Club web site. I practically gave the car away, and lost thousands of dollars on it, and haven't thought seriously about getting back in a sports car since.

Peter J Fraser

Chief Petty Officer

My wife had '86 MA61 2.8 non turbo with the factory flare kit and 225 tires. Purchased new from Dealers here.<br />Later she got a '89 MA70 3.0 turbo with all leather interior from her Dad when he bought the GZA 80 rocket in 94.<br />She stole that car off him when he bought a Merc CL500 coupe just a year ago.<br />Not satisfied with all that she tells him that she wants the Merc after he replaces it. He just had his 81st birthday a couple of months ago and he aint retired yet so she might be waiting for a while.<br />We also had a '91 SW20 MR2 for a year, impressive road manners and loved to rev out.<br />I also had an '86 Celica GT4 for a project car about 6 years back. That was an impressive little rocket, top speed around 140 mph.<br />As you can see we have had a lot of "Toymotors" that is only part of the list too. <br /><br />We have a nephew who built a Mazda RX7 Bato to the Japan GT series specs which he raced here for a season before taking the car to Japan and competing there with the car. 3 rotor non turbo engine with 540 hp on the dyno.<br />Its all fun isnt it?<br /><br />Regards<br /><br />Peter