SouWinner - Yo-lota Lancruisers

Kiwi Phil

Commander
Seeing you have an interest in Toyota Lancruisers, then Australia is littlered with them. <br />They are the biggest selling 4 wheel drive, and have been since years before 4x4's became the popular.<br />The Nissan Patrol is OK too, but the Landcruiser has a reputation for handling our conditions bettter than the rest.<br /><br />If you enter Trading Post.com.au in Google you should come apon their site, which I recall being tradingpostonline.com.au<br />Select Automotive/4x4/then the State or all and you may well come across many for sale by private owners.<br />There is another site called Red Book.com.au and this should give you an idea of market price of the models.<br />Remember though, this is Australia, not New Zealand. If you want similar info for New Zealand, let me know. I will contact my brother for some sites.<br />A good mate of mine is a Texan. 12 yrs back when he first arrived, he had a F series 4x4. Then went back to the States for a holiday and returned with a new F150 4x4 which he had converted to R hook. He got rid of it for a new Landcruiser Ute Diesel and reckons it completely out performs everything he's ever had. They have a great reputation.<br />See how you go. if you need a hand, keep in touch.<br /><br />Cheers<br />Phillip

Dunaruna

Admiral
Re: SouWinner - Yo-lota Lancruisers

Sorry to hijack the thread Phil but I thought SW might like to see a cruiser earning its keep. When I'm not boating, I'm doin' this.........<br /><br />
4x4weekend17.jpg
<br /><br />Aldo

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

Cool Dunaruna!

kd6nem

Chief Petty Officer

Sounds like you folks down under (and vicinity) have more good choices for diesel engines. I am lamenting the fact that there are so few diesels available up here in other than Mercedes or larger vehicles than I want. Particularly in decent used vehicles. I'd love to do an experiment using a mid-size pickup or SUV and bio-diesel, but such an animal is not readily available here right now. :(

gsbodine

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by Bearcat Powered:<br /> I am lamenting the fact that there are so few diesels available up here in other than Mercedes or larger vehicles than I want. :(
I have often wondered why that was the case myself. I drove Toyota 4x4's in Iceland when my wife was there that were just like mine except for the diesel powerplant. They drove well and were impossible to kill (if you could get them started on a cold day, block heater or no :rolleyes: ). <br /><br />Does anybody have an explanation? Is it really an emissions thing?

Dunaruna

Admiral

Take a look at any Asian or European city, Rome for instance, the haze in the sky & the smell makes L.A. look like virgin wilderness.<br /><br />The new low sulfur diesel will make a difference but the damage to those cities is already done.<br /><br />As for Australia, diesel acounts for about a third of SUVs' and about 10% passenger vehicles. Commercial transport - 100%. The new Toyota & Nissan turbo diesel SUVs' are brilliant, heaps of power, economical and at idle you wouldn't know its a diesel, with the new low sulfur it hardly smells. Their is still plenty of big V8 gas guzzlers being offered by the manufacturers but with the price of fuel these days they are becoming dinosaurs.<br /><br />The cruiser in the picture is a 4L gasoline burning chev (Toyota partnered with chev in the 70s & 80s right??). Its indistructable, I know, I tried (250,000 mls and it only uses 2 litres of oil every 500 mls :D ). My next 4x4 will be a turbo diesel.<br /><br />Aldo

Peter J Fraser

Chief Petty Officer

Hi all,<br />We have an ever growing 4WD market here with all the stuff coming in from Japan nowdays.<br />Nearly all of it is diesel.<br />I drive a '97 Toyota Surf (4-Runner) with a 3 litre turbo diesel OHC engine and auto trans. <br />Runs to 4500 rpm and has the same torque & hp as the 3 litre OHC V6 gas engine but the torque peak is at 2100 rpm - highway cruise speed.<br />You cant tell the difference on the road and but the fuel cost is much better than gasoline.<br />I've run diesel engines since mid 80's in a variety of Toyo Hilux and 4-Runner 4x4.<br /><br />Our company Eagle Equipment Ltd runs nearly 50 of the 3 litre Surfs (4 runner) with very good reliability.<br /><br />Love em here but the US trucks are scarce here due to huge costs of converting to RHD.<br /><br />I have driven a Dodge Ram Crew cab with a 360 V8 4x4 around on Australia's Gold Coast for a while and liked it but for the steering lock was not so good.<br /><br />Regards<br /><br />Peter

SoulWinner

Commander

Hi-ya Kiwi and Dunarama,<br /><br />Here is whats up. I decided about two years ago that the perfect vehicle for me is a 1993-1995 Toyota Pick-up, extended cab, 4 cylinder with auto trans, white in color, gray interior, 4X4. That truck would meet my every need and do everything I want in a vehicle. I went on a nationwide search for the above described truck and could not a single truck with 4X4, 4 cylinder with an auto trans. There are millions of them with the 5 speed here in the states, and even more of them with the 5 speed in Australia / New Zealand, but none with the 4 cyl./auto trans combination. So I checked with the local Toyota lot, and they said that there were some ordered with the 4 cyl./automatic, but not many. No kidding..... So I broadened my search to include any color, still no dice. <br /><br />So anyhow, I was looking on eBay one day and found this 1962 Land Cruiser for sale down there in New Zealand. This puppy has fewer amenities than a WWII army jeep, but it is kind of cool....in a spartan sort of way(the windows don't roll up and down, they slide with a funky little slide handle in slot in the door panel, no A/C, no radio, but it does have a Chevy 327, my all time favorite v-8). So I bid on it, and as things turned out the high bidder didn't want to pay the reserve, so I was offered the truck. I was hoping that the $4000 price was in AU dollars, but it was US dollars....no worries, I can do that, so e-mail the guy with an offer to buy and haven't heard back from him. I think he must have sold the truck to someone there (he has a car sales business). Now, the truck is nice and all, but the bed is a flat bed and it was shortened so now it really short, and there is no room on the truck to put stuff. So I have been looking to see what else was out there (on the very same web sites that you listed in your post!), since the guy said he could ship "roll on-roll off" F.O.B. New Orleans for $1600. Then I found the Land Cruiser BJ 55 LP 2BL ( the extended cab Cruiser that was sold to utility companies in western Australia ) and figured that would be a lot more functional and generally handier than the bob-tailed little '62 cruiser. The snag is that I can only import trucks (or cars) that are 25 years old or older, and the guy said that the BJ 55 2BL's were first brought to AU in 1980, so I can't bring one to the US until after January ( or the governemtn will destroy it at my cost, Land of the Free?? My azz). So now I am just kind of hanging loose waiting for something to happen.<br /><br />My wife has a 1993 Cruiser with the 4.5 liter in-line 6 cylinder that I wish was diesel, because the hog only gets 13 miles per gallon on petrol. Great huh? Diesel Toyota's in the US are about as plentiful as diesel Mercedes g-wagons (which I would also love to have). Yesterday we had the '93 Cruiser off road and covered her in mud. I just came in from washing it, but I promise that the next time we take it off road I will post some pics of it with some good suspension articulation and mud covering that nice white paint.<br /><br />So here is the deal, if I can get hold of a BJ 55 LP 2BL (I don't care if it's a danged ole Bandeirantes OJ-55-LP-BL from Brazil) in good condition(no rust-through, no smashed-in panels, you know, a decent used vehicle, and one with the enclosed utility box on the back would be ok also), for under $5000. US, with "ro-ro" f.o.b. New Orleans for no more than $1600 (preferably with sales docs stating a sales price/vehicle value of about $1500. us for customs duties etc.) I would be a happy little camper. Any chance I can find deal like that down there???? Oh, BTW, I really would prefer one with the original Toyota running gear, and I think a diesel engine is what I want, the 3B engine. <br /><br />Do any of you guys know what I'm talking about in regards to the BJ 55 2BL? Any of these for sale in the $5000. US price range? One thing about the 2BL model, I think I may be able to develop a market for these trucks in the US because that body configuration was never offered here, if I can get them for the right money.<br /><br />Anyhoo, I gotta go get a shower and wash this mud off of me. <br /><br />Cheers,<br />Wes

Peter J Fraser

Chief Petty Officer

SW <br />Here's a link to a webpage that publishes the 'AUTO TRADER' one of the largest publications in these parts on a weekly basis Auto Trader You may find some thing to your liking.<br /><br />Good luck<br /><br />Peter :)

SoulWinner

Commander

Thanks Peter, I have been checking this site. I still haven't heard back from the guy with the '62 Cruiser. I have looked at the Nissan Patrol, but Toyota is my preference, and parts for the Patrol are not as easy to get in the states as the odd Land Cruisers that weren't imported here, because the parts were used on other vehicles.<br /><br />I am curious, do any of you guys know any ex-pat Americans living down there?? I am thinking again about immigrating there (Australia or New Zealand) and would like to talk to other Americans about what their experience was like. One question I have is about my AK-47, is that rifle illegal to possess down there? Also, about my firearms, can I keep them with me if I go?<br /><br />Cheers,<br />Wes

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

No, soulwinner, don't jump. We may need your AK-47 here! They don't want any conservatives in NZ and AU. Let's just move to Tejas. :D

Dunaruna

Admiral

SW, bad news on the AK47 front, big no no unless your wearing a military uniform. Don't despair though, plenty of hunting to be done with high powered single shot.<br /><br />My uncles' best friend (who I also call 'uncle') is an ex-pat. He has lived here in Melbourne for almost 40 years and I would be happy to hook you guys up if you like. He still has family in L.A and N.Y. (not sure about N.Y.).<br /><br />Landcruisers - In Australia (and I suspect NZ also) their is a culture of serious offroading, the old FJ & BJ landcruisers are a big part of that culture. You won't find many automatics here, they are reserved for the people who NEVER get the tyres dirty. The V8 chev conversion was very popular in the old cruisers, there are hundreds if not thousands out on the road but they rarely come up for sale in newspapers because often the conversion was done without proper engineering approval. I know of a couple in my area for sale right now, I'll do more homework and repost later. Part of my business is buying and selling offroad vehicles (one or two a year, its a hobby) If you're serious about buying from downunder, I can't promise I will find exactly what you want but I'd be willing to try. <br /><br />Aldo

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

"often the conversion was done without proper engineering approval" ?????<br /><br />Dear cousins, this goes beyond the pale. I think you better rethink this SW. Can you imagine if we had to deal with this if we simply wanted to swap engines in a vehicle. Talk about control. I don't even know how to deal with this.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Hi Guys, me again,<br /><br />I love this sort of thread.... <br /><br />First to answer a few questions.<br /><br />1) SW.. AK-47... forget it. Besides, you won't need it do here. The natives are friendly. :D The way I see it, you guys like to have a 'piece' handy as protection. Here nobody has one so nobody else need one.<br /><br />2) In Kiwi-Phils first post he said
but the Landcruiser has a reputation for handling our conditions bettter than the rest
As true as this is unfortunately the newer ones are still rubbish. I have a friend who took a brand new one up one of our outback track, The Canning Stock Route, and broke all 4 suspension springs.<br /><br />Here's a couple of photos of me playing when I'm not fishing. Bear in mind that I have modified this vehicle to be capable of this. Out of the factory you'd kill it stone dead doing this. I have change the springs, shocks, suspension bushings, tyres, rims, front diff and have put a 6.5 litre V8 GM diesel in it (legally).<br /><br /><br />Enjoy....<br /><br /><br />
watermark.php
<br /><br />Chris...........<br /><br />P.S. Aldo, we gotta talk!

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by achris:<br />The way I see it, you guys like to have a 'piece' handy ......
You sure have the venacular down Chris. I think we better check your DNA. :D <br /><br />btw, great pictures, thanks.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

You sure have the venacular down Chris.
Comes from too many Yanky TV shows.... :D <br /><br />And maybe a bit of 'Dirty Harry' thrown in for good measure......<br /><br />Chris..........<br />(Only Polish and Aussie blood in these veins)

Dunaruna

Admiral

Chris, Nice pics.<br />From what I've seen of the canning stock route, it would kill a hummer.<br /><br />Whatcha wanna talk about?<br /><br />Boomyal, would you double the HP in your truck and not improve the engine mounts or braking capacity? People who shouldn't go near tools did just that with early landcruisers. Somebody need to keep an eye out for these things. Its a good law, it saves lives.<br /><br />Aldo

Dunaruna

Admiral

SW, I've just reread your post and saw your question about the BJ55, I'd never heard of it (and I'm a landcruiser fanatic!) so I went hunting.<br /><br />The BJ55 was never released in Australia instead we got the FJ55, same body but different motor. Its actually the first 4x4 (what we call SUVs) I owned as a teenager. Early models had a 3.9L 'F' motor and later a 4.2L '2F' motor, both gas. Deisel was not an option (BJ55?). they had a popular nickname "chocolate box" (or choci-box) because of their two tone color scheme. 3 speed manual gearbox was standard, 4 speed came later. To my knowledge, 5 speed manual & automatic was not an option in Australia. Power steering, aircon & electric tailgate all optional. They had a common tendency to rust badly in the roof because of bad interior roof cavity ventilation & roof rack clamps deforming the gutters. Not to many about these days - sorry. But I'll look if you wish. <br /><br />Aldo

Bob Kimber

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Soulwinner,<br />the BJ40 was released in Australia in 1980, it was a short wheelbase Landcruiser and was powered by the 3B diesel engine which was a 3.4 litre 4cylinder engine. I traded my 1975 shortie with the 2F 6cyl petrol for one of these in 1980 and kept it till 1988 when I bought the first Nissan Patrol 4x4 with coil springs all round powered by a 4.2litre diesel.<br /><br />The 3.4 litre 3B diesel in the Toyota was a great motor, gave better fuel consumption and performance than the 3.6 litre H series 6cyl diesel in the long wheelbase landcruisers of the same vintage but as Dunaruna stated suffered badly with rust particularly in the early 1980 years.<br /><br />During 33 years working in a government dept from 1966 I drove offroad almost daily which included 6x6 military pattern trucks as well as 4x4 and worked all over Cape York and throughout the more remote areas of Queensland and the Northern Territory. IMHO the best vehicle I have owned including 2 previous Landcruisers is the Nissan Patrol which I still have, it is now nearly 16 1/2 years old and has been all over, from several trips to the tip of cape York, the Gibb River Road and Mitchell Plateau in the Kimberleys and several trips in the sands of the Simpson Desert, apart from routine servicing and upgrading the springs and shock absorbers it has not required any major repairs, it also tows a boat and trailer rig of approx 4,200lbs.<br /><br />Diesels are the preferred choice for most serious 4x4 offroaders because of their low down torque and general better performance in rough conditions, for example a South Australian 4x4 club used to rate a 6cyl petrol engine to use approx 200 litres of fuel to run the French Line in the Simpson Desert but only around 115 - 120 litres for a 6cyl diesel of the same displacement in the same type of vehicle. BTW the French Line has about a 1,000 sand dunes to cross from West to East with the last one about 60 metres high (196 feet).<br /><br />Bob

SoulWinner

Commander

Hey you guys, thanks for all the information. Dang, you guys sure do have a lot of rules down there. I had no idea. I am sorry, I can't see me parting with my AK, or my other guns, or my thousands of rounds of ammo. Oh well, Boomyall, I guess America is stuck with me :rolleyes: <br /><br />Ok, regarding these trucks, the FJ 55 was offered in the states, here is a link to a site where there are some for sale: FJ 55's for Sale <br /><br />But what I am looking for (and have found some in Brazil and a couple in Australia) are these: BJ 55 2BL <br /><br />From what I have gathered they were sold only to municipalities and/or utility companies in western Australia. However, in Brazil these trucks were produced under the name Bandeirantes via a licesning agreement with Toyota; so I think for right now I'll see if I can find one that is 25 years old in Brazil to import, or possibly sneek a newer one in, as it is a Land Cruiser and therefore won't raise any questions at the Department of Motor Vehicles during the registration process, unlike Nissan Patrols. The 25 year law sucks.<br /><br />One of these days I am going to visit Australia, and I want to see you guys when I do.